Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe to be named the next head coach of the New Jersey Devils

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
LOL...what the hell are you talking about?

First off - 3 generational talents??? That term only applies to one of your players.

Assuming you're talking about Matthews, Marner and Nylander - here are their cap hits from 2019-2020, Keefe's first season coaching the Maple Leafs:
- Matthews $11.634M
- Marner $10.893M
- Nylander $10.278M

The cap hit for those 3 players was higher than next year's cap hit for Jack Hughes, Hischier, Meier & Bratt combined.
Generational talent salary doesnt mean generational talent. May be it does mean overgenerational talent gm. ex gm.

Last edited:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
This hand is getting over played. Florida had no issue with it. Yea they had set backs and a difficult task. That's sports. There was a number of things that could have changed to get them the win and a number of things that could have gotten them swept.

They could have won the series if anyone on the team besides Bertuzzi got within stick lengths of the net for more than a fly by. They could have won if they didn't put out the 3rd line after taking the lead and keeping the momentum. They could have won if they saw the way Boston was playing defense and tried different ways to counter it. The list goes on.

Picking any one thing and saying "that's the thing" is the wrong way to look at it just as much as when a concern is brought up about our team someone responds with "not the issue."
Most of these things are closer to luck than actual tactics

Reactions: My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I definitely thought that would be in play. How often does a roster this young and talented, that has recently shown it can win, have it's coaching job open?

Also think the low pressure of NJ helps. Granted almost any job would be lesser scrutiny then Toronto, but if taking a breather was a consideration for Keefe after coaching in such a high pressure situation, then he might have said, maybe NJ as a landing spot makes sense in that way as well.
And also, unless the team is winning Stanley Cups every few seasons, every fanbase is going to grow tired of their coaches. Then the buzzwords start flowing. It’s natural.
Ya, I mean take any coach who has won a cup, did they make better adjustments in the winning seasons? And worse adjustments in seasons they didn't win? Is Cooper not making good adjustments these days?

Devils won Cups with 3 different coaches. Did Lemaire forget how to make adjustments and Robinson was better? Did Robinson then forget how to make adjustments and Burns was better? In hockey, maybe more then any sport, it's just about getting a fresh take to energize the team. And then eventually that take grows stale as well, rinse and repeat, the coaching carousel keeps on turning.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Most of these things are closer to luck than actual tactics
Goaltenders stopping a puck is closer to luck than choosing which line you put out and whether or not your players take a break from the outside of the O-zone to see what's going on in the middle......

I'm not giving weight to any one thing, but to pick one thing and say the rest is luck? Ok then.

Reactions: My3Sons

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
“The Devils' hire needed to get buy-in defensively and to create a focused, successful culture internally. I’m confident he can do the former. The latter is tbd. Keefe's not seen as a culture building guy. He lets young players figure it out. Could be a good or bad thing.“

Sweet

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Goaltenders stopping a puck is closer to luck than choosing which line you put out and whether or not your players take a break from the outside of the O-zone to see what's going on in the middle......

I'm not giving weight to any one thing, but to pick one thing and say the rest is luck? Ok then.
In a short series when your most important players are either out or very diminished due to injury, your goalies just aren’t very good or playing particularly well, plus you’re going against a great goalie that is on fire. That’s just the way she goes.

"Luck" has entered the chat.
Luck is an enormous factor in hockey. More than any other sport by a wide margin.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
One thing that gets ignored with the hot takes on Keefe's playoff record is that the smooth brained NHL playoff system ensured he was always playing a powerhouse in round one.
Meh. Gotta win at a better rate then they did though.

Not laying that all on Keefe.

Luck is an enormous factor in hockey. More than any other sport by a wide margin.
It is enourmous...........enormously overblown.

“The Devils' hire needed to get buy-in defensively and to create a focused, successful culture internally. I’m confident he can do the former. The latter is tbd. Keefe's not seen as a culture building guy. He lets young players figure it out. Could be a good or bad thing.“

Sweet
Who is saying this?

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
In a short series when your most important players are either out or very diminished due to injury, your goalies just aren’t very good or playing particularly well, plus you’re going against a great goalie that is on fire. That’s just the way she goes.

Nobody expected Boston to be any good with the players they had left. The coach got them all to play a certain way they ensured them the best chance every single night, all season. Amongst a couple things you admit and some you are choosing to ignore they also got out coached. Keefe had no answer.

Look at the Florida-Boston series and check out the wild swings game to game, those were dueling coaches. Teams changing up what was being done game to game based on the last game until one of them cracked the code and put a stop to it.

Please don't think my resistance to you boiling the loss down to one thing is not believing that one thing is a factor. I don't need to ignore truths to protect my opinion.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

Sweet

Again, I think this is an area where we'll have to see what he's learned. If what was said was true that they saw a lot of growth out of him after Dubas left, then that is a positive sign that he adapted to that change. He will have to do the same now coming into a brand new organization where he has very little (if any at all) pre-existing relationships built.

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014
speaking of brunette i rather have sheldon
Hard to argue. Most of us were all in for Brunette being the eventual successor to Ruff, but truthfully Keefe is far more experienced as a head coach, and has had great regular season success. I'd surely give Keefe the edge. We did well with this hire.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
say more nice things as i rub my nipples

IMG_1341.jpeg

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
speaking of brunette i rather have sheldon
I do hope this at least ends the board's weird obsession with Brunette. Don't get me wrong, he's a solid coach too but people talked as if we definitely let the next Scotty Bowman go and weren't ever going to find someone similar in the next decade, but he really isn't any more proven than a guy like Keefe is at this point.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Nobody expected Boston to be any good with the players they had left. The coach got them all to play a certain way they ensured them the best chance every single night, all season. Amongst a couple things you admit and some you are choosing to ignore they also got out coached. Keefe had no answer.

Look at the Florida-Boston series and check out the wild swings game to game, those were dueling coaches. Teams changing up what was being done game to game based on the last game until one of them cracked the code and put a stop to it.

Please don't think my resistance to you boiling the loss down to one thing is not believing that one thing is a factor. I don't need to ignore truths to protect my opinion.
Wild swings game to game? Last 3 games were 2-1, with the final goal of the series being in overtime in a game where the shots were 32-31 in favor of Boston.

There was a lot of sightseeing going on by Toronto on that OT winner, but I'd actually roll with the "luck" factor (barf emoji) on that last goal rather then adjustments winning that series.

I do hope this at least ends the board's weird obsession with Brunette. Don't get me wrong, he's a solid coach too but people talked as if we definitely let the next Scotty Bowman go and weren't ever going to find someone similar in the next decade, but he really isn't any more proven than a guy like Keefe is at this point.
Much less proven actually.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mean you could fairly say the fact Toronto won only one out of five of these coin flip series could be the sign of something concerning but by the same token they were coin flips against great teams and hot goalies. I loathe the luck explanation over things that happen in the 82-game season but sometimes it does apply to a seven-game series.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Yeah. Being handed 3 generational talents on ELCs will do that. Yet he kept failing.

Good luck then. Lol

Good job signing John Tavares when you had a capable 2C who went on to win a Cup elsewhere but no the coach was the 100% fall guy, not your stars players who consistently came up short come playoffs

I mean you could fairly say the fact Toronto won only one out of five of these coin flip series is a concern but by the same token they were coin flips against great teams and hot goalies. I loathe the luck explanation over things that happen in the 82-game season but sometimes it does apply to a seven-game series.

I don't expect the Keefe to win playoff series where Jack Hughes/Nico Hischier/Bratt don't show up just like what he had to deal with in Toronto. Hell, we almost lost the Rags series because Hischier/Bratt/Timo didn't score any goals and still won it because of the heroics of Schmid. Closest thing Keefe in that was Woll this year and he got hurt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad