Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe to be named the next head coach of the New Jersey Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I don’t really understand the fixation with punishing players like that’s going to do anything or was the reason we weren’t good last year. I’m very glad Luke and Nemec were developed properly last year and didn’t have to deal with some hard ass douche that would neuter them.
We knew Luke was realistically not seeing AHL ice unless it was a conditioning stint. Nemec winded up playing a ton too. It wasn't ideal to have them both playing so many minutes but it is what it is. Eventually they will be playing harder minutes even though they got a taste of that plenty this year.

We need our defensive minded players to carry alot of the weight on the backend as well. Marino , Siegenthaler & Bahl are just as important when it comes to team success. Hopefully Keefe and his assistants can get those 3 back on track.

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Leafs fan coming in peace. You got a good one here. Sheldon is a solid coach who is just going to continue to grow over the next couple of year.The perception in Toronto is we needed a new voice and someone who is more of a "hard ass", obviosuly Keefe becomes the easy out.

One thing I always liked about Keefe, he gets it. He always knew the Leafs needed to score more playoff goals and tighten up come April. It was top of his mind from day 1. Below is a clip from the 2021 bubble season that exemplifies that. We were in first place and rolling over teams but Sheldon's focus never wavered from preparing the team for the playoffs... Ultimately the players (and cap structure) let him down.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I wasn’t too excited about Keefe at first but it’s growing on me as i go back and look at the Leafs rosters he coached. Keefe is gonna have to relearn what a good team looks like with Dougie, Luke, and Nemec on the backend.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Hope they bring on Warsofsky onto the staff so maybe if a replacement is needed down the road it can be in house....I hope he goes full clean slate and wish Keefe best of luck hopefully it's a good hire...

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Leafs fan living in NJ (only one of these things makes me happy and it ain't the annual playoff disappointment)

Keefe is a good coach. Every fanbase nitpicks their coaches and Toronto is notorious for it, but he will do a great job for NJ. He has shown some serious signs of improvement ever since the Columbus debacle when he was too stubborn to mix things up. As long as the clubhouse can avoid becoming a country club I have no doubt he will find success in Jersey

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I was one of those who was very wary about Keefe initially based on what I'd read and heard about his team getting off to slow starts for games along with the obvious things that have been put out there about his time in Toronto.

However, from Leaf fan comments over the past two weeks, I've warmed up to the hire considerably. Especially when it comes to what's been said about his defensive structure with a patchwork personnel. He's familiar with working with young players, and his regular season success speaks for itself. I think he was the best possible hire that was out there, and I hope he has taken a lot from his time in Toronto.

I'll be watching the All or Nothing series on Amazon today during work now since I never watched it originally. :laugh:

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Not liking at all what I’m hearing about him not making any adjustments or accountability. We don’t ned an authoritarian but we sure as hell don’t need an easy going pushover, ugh.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
there is one remaining question:

do we need to keep @Cheddabombs around?

once ruff was extended the management let brunette go to take the nashville job. i wonder if coach Cheddabombs would be a distraction staying on our board. he might be better served to coach in the KHL. isn't there an opening with the Siberia Gulags?

can anyone confirm?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Not liking at all what I’m hearing about him not making any adjustments or accountability. We don’t ned an authoritarian but we sure as hell don’t need an easy going pushover, ugh.

What I’m hoping is that he has learned his lesson to some degree. We’ll certainly know if our star players are as entitled as the Leafs based on how things go, but to me, I’m looking at how he has supposedly gotten his players to buy into a full 200 foot game as a positive sign.

When you compare it to Lindy, who I would say had too quick of a trigger finger to make changes mid game, I’m comfortable with a coach who will attempt to let things stick and play out based on how he sees things. It’s all about making changes at the right time when necessary.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

There would be good and bad with any coach. I don't think there was a perfect option out there. I do think he was the best hire we could have made.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I wanted Berube, but I'm willing to have some faith in Keefe. I'm glad the Devils went outside the organization, as the team needed a departure from the status quo. If Keefe brings some structure, especially defensively, it can only help. And he was popular with the stars in Toronto, which gives hope that he'll get the most out of Hughes/Hughes/Hischier/Hamilton/Bratt/Meier.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Yea watching the Boston series made me feel the same way. And then what he said after about teams always being ready to play the Leafs...... Really wasn't excited about the idea of him coming here at all. They could have won that series with some minor tweaking, but he didn't seem to know how or want to do anything different.

BUT, he's here, he's a Devil, I'm going to be hoping and rooting for him all the same.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
What I’m hoping is that he has learned his lesson to some degree. We’ll certainly know if our star players are as entitled as the Leafs based on how things go, but to me, I’m looking at how he has supposedly gotten his players to buy into a full 200 foot game as a positive sign.

When you compare it to Lindy, who I would say had too quick of a trigger finger to make changes mid game, I’m comfortable with a coach who will attempt to let things stick and play out based on how he sees things. It’s all about making changes at the right time when necessary.
Lindy switched up the lines a lot but never changed his approach mid game after running into a brick wall at center ice. It’s fine to have a game plan and stick to it but it has to be changed if it isn’t working.

I’ll be happy if he can improve our 200 foot game for sure but from what I’ve been reading about how he operates, it goes against most of what we were complaining about with this team.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
When Leafs fans talk about Keefe's resistance to make changes, they're not talking about the regular season. Keefe had a 69 goal scorer/100+ point player and 2 more 98+ point forwards - he's going to win regular season games regardless of whether or not he made adjustments. The Leafs never won their division though - aside from the Covid North division so there's definitely room for improvement there also.

Slow to make changes is in reference to when things aren't working, he refuses to change things and thinks if he keeps repeating the same thing the results will come. It happened this playoffs with Samsonov. He didn't switch to Woll until the Leafs faced elimination leaving the Leafs 0 margin for error despite Samsonov playing horrible 2/4 games he played prior. When the Leafs scored a goal to take the lead or tie a game, Keefe always went to the third/4th line to go get some hits and it resulted in a bunch of goals against the Leafs - including in this year's playoffs.

Keefe has basically been a coach with a game plan that will not adjust his gameplan if the results don't occur. He believes in the plan he puts in place and will ride it out with his belief of that plan. Since the Leafs haven't had success with his plan, the fanbase blames him for his lack of adjustments. Ryan O'Rielly said after the playoffs last season that the Leafs 'could have made some changes but didn't' and that pissed the fanbase off and they took it as Keefe's stubbornness to listen with rumors RoR suggested changing something and Keefe refusing. He was a very live by the sword, die by the sword coach. He believes in his process and won't usually make adjustments.

That said, I think New Jersey got a good coach. I thought Keefe this year was the best he's ever been as the Leafs coach. This year he got extremely unlucky with injuries in the playoffs with Matthews, Nylander and Woll all missing games. This year he basically paid for his failures in previous seasons when he should have won but didn't. He was a lot more calm and composed this year and seemed a lot less hyper on the bench. The officials don't seem to be a fan of him complaining after every call and he did a lot less of that this year, especially in the playoffs. It does seem he is growing and learning from his mistakes. More importantly, he seems to be a quality person that people like - which was the opposite of the Leafs previous coach. I wish him and NJ the best (except when they play the Leafs). He's a very structured and details oriented coach. He seems very analytics minded and that's why Dubas took him everywhere he went. He'll make a plan prior to the game and stick with it through and through. He believes in himself and his gameplan and that of itself I think is important. However, when it doesn't work he gets blamed for 'lack of adjustments' which is what the Leafs fanbase is on him about.
your a fan so i'll take you word for it but the not winning a division is a bit misleading they had great years against some legit nhl powerhouses you bring that team to the metro and i think they clean up. hopefully he learns from whatever mistakes might have happened. last time devils went with a former leaf coach they won the cup lets hope for it again.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What tells you this is a sound hire is the lack of negative reaction here. Nary a one. I can’t remember the last time I saw a coach hired without any one knocking it.
Well what it is…is a safe hire, as much as you can have with this field. And we haven’t actually had a lot of head coach hires the last decade, this is just the third since 2011 not counting the interims.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
The same way Ruff never adjusted with Holtz? Or Timo at RW? Riding Daws? We know these things independently would have never saved the season. I think “never adjusted” is a myth that non-insiders (like pundits/fans) will usually say. I see it too often.
Keefe said it himself..... Teams adjust their games to play the Leafs a certain way. And he didn't adjust for that. I'm not sure where the myth is.

Reactions: My3Sons

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Yea watching the Boston series made me feel the same way. And then what he said after about teams always being ready to play the Leafs...... Really wasn't excited about the idea of him coming here at all. They could have won that series with some minor tweaking, but he didn't seem to know how or want to do anything different.

BUT, he's here, he's a Devil, I'm going to be hoping and rooting for him all the same.

i'm not worried about winning in the playoffs yet. first step get this team back to where they were two years ago do that constantly and then i'll worry about the playoffs. prove that two years ago wasnt a fluke then worry about the playoffs.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
i'm not worried about winning in the playoffs yet. first step get this team back to where they were two years ago do that constantly and then i'll worry about the playoffs. prove that two years ago wasnt a fluke then worry about the playoffs.
Yeah I think there's still a bit of a sense of entitlement in the fanbase that we don't deserve to have as if we're automatically going back to the playoffs next year, this team hasn't proven they're a 'consistent' winner yet.

The best thing about the Keefe hire is that Fitz (apparently) went out of his comfort zone and brought in the best guy - yeah I know, here comes the Berube debates...even if we had offered him the job I think he still takes Toronto. It's a sexier job, they have a more established regular season winner and he can do it in a bigger market.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Yeah I think there's still a bit of a sense of entitlement in the fanbase that we don't deserve to have as if we're automatically going back to the playoffs next year, this team hasn't proven they're a 'consistent' winner yet.

The best thing about the Keefe hire is that Fitz (apparently) went out of his comfort zone and brought in the best guy - yeah I know, here comes the Berube debates...even if we had offered him the job I think he still takes Toronto. It's a sexier job, they have a more established regular season winner and he can do it in a bigger market.
yeah i just dont get the hate i understand not liking the playoffs results but give me that type of production in the regular season and playoffs in the metro will be a lot different then the playoffs in the atlantic. make the playoffs first get the most out of the top guys make over 100pts a year then i'll worry about how the devils do against the islanders/caps/pens/hurricanes eventually rangers in round two

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I wasn't really talking about losing 1st round of the playoffs and being worried about it. I hope that's something specific to the leafs.

I am excited to see this team with a whole new voice and get some structure to them.

I'm talking more about the tactical side of it and not being able to really take in what's happening on the ice and instruct your guys to counter in certain ways. Whether that's pre season or game seven of the cup finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad