Confirmed with Link: Shayne Gostisbehere to Carolina for a 2026 3rd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Offensive numbers are very good, but man it looks like he's an absolute train wreck in the defensive zone. Cannot clear the puck and gets dog walked often. Oh, and he's one of the least physical defensemen in the NHL, so don't expect much fight along the boards.

But at least he is good in the offensive zone?

Reactions: zman77

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Offensive numbers are very good, but man it looks like he's an absolute train wreck in the defensive zone. Cannot clear the puck and gets dog walked often. Oh, and he's one of the least physical defensemen in the NHL, so don't expect much fight along the boards.

We get to spend more time on the PP with him. Thats a plus, right?

Reactions: zman77

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think it's fair to note that Ghost was playing on a top pairing in AZ with 22 min. TOI (18min ES toi) per game. He's certainly not great defensively, but he won't need to play the same role in Carolina.

DeAngelo came with reports of being bad defensively as well when we got him.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Lol. You guys bitch about TDA but ghost is worse in his own end, and moves the puck worse. Dude has a 4.5m cap hit and is worse than TDA.

God I hope they don't try and sign him after this year.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I think it's fair to note that Ghost was playing on a top pairing in AZ with 22 min. TOI (18min ES toi) per game. He's certainly not great defensively, but he won't need to play the same role in Carolina.

That's one of the reasons that I was OK with bringing him in. Yeah, not a #1, never has been despite some solid offensive numbers. What he can be is a mismatch on the 3rd pair as a 2nd pairing guy that can also be a solid QB for PP2.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

I mean he wasn't exactly good defensively for us, just was paired with Slavin, and that masked a hell of a lot.

Gost ain't taking Burns' spot, so that's a problem.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Lol. You guys bitch about TDA but ghost is worse in his own end, and moves the puck worse. Dude has a 4.5m cap hit and is worse than TDA.
1) Some bitched about TDA when he was first signed, but very few bitched about his on ice play in Carolina. In fact, most were complimentary.
2) TDA hasn't been any better in his own end before he got to Carolina, or after he left.
God I hope they don't try and sign him after this year.
agree

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Wait until they pair him with Chatfield, and they get utterly owned. Lol.

It will be way worse than Chatfield Coghlan.

This was a really dumb shit move. But that's what happens when you sit on your hands, or get out bid, or screwed over by other teams.

We needed a scoring forward. We got a cool meathead and a worse tda. Brilliant lol

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I mean he wasn't exactly good defensively for us, just was paired with Slavin, and that masked a hell of a lot.

Gost ain't taking Burns' spot, so that's a problem.
True, but Gost is going to get sheltered minutes against weaker competition on the 3rd pairing so he's not going to face the same level of competition that Slavin does. He's a depth 6/7 guy on the canes.

I think it's a 'meh' move overall.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
The silver lining...next trade deadline, none of the top contenders are going to have any pick/prospects left to acquire anyone. :sarcasm:
I mean you have a sarcasm thing there but it’s 100% true. The Canes are going to have more firepower pick/prospect wise than any team that’s actually contending both this offseason and next deadline.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Nope.

Not a trainwreck at all and moving the puck is one of the things he does best.

As far as physicality goes, he’s not soft or scared of hitting, it’s just that it’s not his focus. He’s not the idiot who’s going to chase a hit and end up out of position. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen him prevent a zone entry because instead of going for the hit he’d step up to intercept the pass or use his stick to knock the puck away.

I don’t know how you felt about DeAngelo but Ghost is better in every way.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Nope.

Not a trainwreck at all and moving the puck is one of the things he does best.

As far as physicality goes, he’s not soft or scared of hitting, it’s just that it’s not his focus. He’s not the idiot who’s going to chase a hit and end up out of position. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen him prevent a zone entry because instead of going for the hit he’d step up to intercept the pass or use his stick to knock the puck away.

I don’t know how you felt about DeAngelo but Ghost is better in every way.
I liked tda, but from what I've seen of ghost, tda was a better passer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad