Confirmed with Link: Shayne Gostisbehere to Carolina for a 2026 3rd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Lol who the hell is gonna take Coghlan off our hands without us paying them to do it?

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Maybe getting out of AZ will energize Ghostbear enough to help on the PP at least. Not the splashy move we were hoping for, but a very Borg like move. They value the young players contributing on ELC's (Jarvis) more than many teams. I think that's good thinking in the long term. Adding Meier would have been great, but at the trade deadline, the seller has all the leverage with a top tier guy. Winning the Cup is the ultimate goal, but only one team gets to do that. I refuse to judge success solely on that. The decade of losing is still fresh in my memory. Playing meaningless games at Thanksgiving sucks.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I doubt it. They basically gave up nothing so it will be hard to critique them on that alone. Otherwise the same criticisms from the past season or two still stand. Of course if they win it all, they will be geniuses. But if we go out the same way as usual, I see a lot of the same excuses still standing.
I think the really smart or really dumb will come down to if we were correct in sticking with our current group or if we needed to spend a first (or two) on someone to move the meter after Patches went down. If we bow out in the second round again, especially if it's to the Rangers after they went all in, I'd call this season a failure.
They only have 1 retention spot left and maybe needed it for Chychrun?
I can't see them being OK with retaining for 3 years instead of a bit over 3 months when they're still retaining for 4 on OEL.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I can't see them being OK with retaining for 3 years instead of a bit over 3 months when they're still retaining for 4 on OEL.
I can, but it depends on how much they retain. Plus it's really 2 years for Chychrun, as this year's only got 1.5 months left. Kane's retention is over after this year so they'd free up a slot again.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He’s a much better ppqb than Skjei or Pesce. Other than shooting he’s probably better than Burns. Great skater, not the greatest defenseman. You felt like the depth defenseman was going to be an extreme one way or the other. Either a stay home guy or a pp guy, leaning towards the later since we have CDH. Watched him play the other night, he was borderline awesome and scored a shorty.

It’s a good move, and not really unexpected. If we didn’t know we were in on Meier these are exactly the moves we’d expect.

Of course an actual scorer to fill Patches role at least would’ve been nice. I still think we may pull something off.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
I'll take a guess that Arizona was told that they cannot retain or take back contracts. Carolina was in on Chychrun but felt like they were about to miss out. Rather than scramble in the aftermath with the other Chychrun teams they just pulled the trigger on Ghost. With no retention it was a 2026 3rd which is peanuts.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I doubt it. They basically gave up nothing so it will be hard to critique them on that alone. Otherwise the same criticisms from the past season or two still stand. Of course if they win it all, they will be geniuses. But if we go out the same way as usual, I see a lot of the same excuses still standing.

They’re going to get ripped in the (inter)national media over this, particularly in light of Dundon talking a big game. You’re only “really smart” if you win. Billy Beane simultaneously has a legacy for Moneyball and never winning in the playoffs.

It gets old for fans after a while, too. We want trades. They’re exciting. They haven’t been able to make one for anything more than relative nickels in 3 years.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Also, this deal completes a nice little circle between Carolina, Arizona and Philadelphia.

Carolina gets: Ghost, 2022 4th, 2023 3rd, 2024 2nd
Arizona gets: 2022 2nd, 2022 7th, 2026 3rd
Flyers get: TonyD

And every pick outside of the 2026 one belonged to Philadelphia.

…Poor Philly

AND, Arizona originally traded TonyD to the NYR for....Raanta and Stepan, who are both now with Carolina.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
I disagree with many. This is a great deadline!
*Ghost has been great this year and fixes one PP unit. Often PP success/failure determine playoff series.
*Pool Party is a defensive stud and forechecks like crazy. Exactly who Rod loves in a bottom 6 role. Plus I bet he gets a shot with Aho next year.
*We still have ALL top prospects and ALL meaningful draft picks for future use or trade collateral.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
*We still have ALL top prospects and ALL meaningful draft picks for future use or trade collateral.
That only matters if our front office knows how to leverage them to get something big

I do not believe they have the capabilities to do such a thing. They're so hell bent on value they aren't willing to overpay for top end talent, which is always the need when you aren't in a position to draft it.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I put this in the other thread but...

I think the borg wanted Ghost all along to try and fix the pp.

They pretend they're interested in Chychuryn for an appropriate amount of time. Then say they just can't afford the brand new Mercedes do they have anything cheaper....the Arizona says they have a nice 2015 accord they'll give as a consolidation prize like it was Arizonas idea all along.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
That only matters if our front office knows how to leverage them to get something big

I do not believe they have the capabilities to do such a thing. They're so hell bent on value they aren't willing to overpay for top end talent, which is always the need when you aren't in a position to draft it.
It's funny because I remember a video by Tlusky that was all about the trap of overvaluing your own players. This front office seems to do that....with their drafted prospects.

Oh, well. Maybe they will be right and we will have Pronger (Nikishin) and Makar (Morrow) prowling the blue line for years to come soon.

Reactions: Stickpucker

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
If we made another trade and moved out Stastny/Stepan/Coghlan (or send down Cogs)… what’s the maximum cap we could take on?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad