Confirmed with Link: Shawn Matthias signs for $2.3M/1 Yr

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
How is this a bad thing? If none of our kids is better then Matthias why should they be in the NHL??

It is a 1yr contract and clearly getting 3rd/4th line players is easy and if thats the best we have in our development then let them develop more.

When did I say it was a bad thing :laugh:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Shawn Matthias
LW | 6'4", 223 lbs. | Toronto
Birth Date:February 19, 1988 (27 years old)
Place of Birth:Mississauga, Ont.
Shoots:L Experience:8 years
Drafted: Drafted by Detroit in 2006 (2/47).

SCOUTING REPORT
Assets: Owns good size, two-way acumen, leadership qualities and face-off skills. Isn't a speedster but he does skate well. Versatile, he can play center or wing. Lanky, he has a great reach and is the type of player coaches lean heavily on late in games.

Flaws: Needs to keep working on his passing skills and overall physical strength in order to maximize his potential as a scorer and big pivot at the NHL level. Must also work on his intensity and game-to-game consistency, which may come with time.

Career Potential: Two-way forward with upside.

The bolded points are completely in line with the Detroit model.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I feel like even if we are a bottom 10 team next year, that the team will be 1000x more likeable because they will work hard.

Agreed--only on the condition that Phaneuf is not part of it.

Still think there is room for Santorelli to be brought back with this group, even if they have to give him two years.

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
Don't know if this has been mentioned already or not, but I found this kind of interesting. I was looking at Matthias' trade history and noticed that he was traded from Detroit to Florida along with a 2nd round pick for Todd Bertuzzi. That 2nd round pick ended up turning into......Nick Spaling!

And that is all the usless information I will be sharing with yall today.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I'm not so sure all of these signings will be draft pick fodder. If Babcock likes them I think they will be convinced to keep some of them around. Be aware of the problems that Edmonton had, kept stockpiling elite talent but couldn't build a proper team. I think they should do the opposite and build from the ground up, establish a tough, hard-working, defensively responsible team and then inject the talent we develop through the draft.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I'm not so sure all of these signings will be draft pick fodder. If Babcock likes them I think they will be convinced to keep some of them around. Be aware of the problems that Edmonton had, kept stockpiling elite talent but couldn't build a proper team. I think they should do the opposite and build from the ground up, establish a tough, hard-working, defensively responsible team and then inject the talent we develop through the draft.

Yup, they are not just looking to add drafts, but pull out the diamonds in the rough that they find through the various accumulations. He might be a star defensive player, another a puck possession God, another a fantastic forechecker or another a super leader or whatever. Tie them up if it is what is best for the team, flip them if it means more to the team.

Enjoying the off season & looking forward to the season.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

“my mindset is to come in and show them how badly i want to be a leaf every night,†said matthias, who visited the air canada centre early last week, presumably passed a sanity test, and had fruitful conversations with president brendan shanahan and head coach mike babcock. “this is where i want to be. It’s kind of like a tryout, i guess."

“i’ve got to go in there and show them how badly i want it. This is a dream come true, and they’re going to get the best out of me.â€

matthias is only 27, but he has been around the nhl for a while – he hit the 400-game mark last season with vancouver. He was relegated to a checking-line role there, but still managed to score 18 goals in only 13 minutes a night for the canucks, which includes time on the penalty kill.

Given all the holes in the leafs lineup, he should be in line for far more playing time than that – and perhaps his first real taste of regular duties on the power play.

Matthias should also get more of a chance on lines with slightly better offensive talents, something that has been an issue in the past. His most frequent linemates in his career include brad richardson, tomas kopecky, jack skille and mike santorelli, the definition of third-line fill-ins.

He has played for other teams in turmoil, but with coaches on hot seats, something that won’t be an issue with babcock in charge in toronto.

“i’ve had a lot of rookie head coaches in my career,†matthias explained. “i think all of them. I’m really excited for the opportunity to play for mike. I think it’s a good opportunity for me to grow as a player; he gets the best out of his players. That was a big reason for e wanting to come here.â€

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If Marner becomes the new Gilmour, maybe Mathias will be the new Dave Andreychuck.:naughty:

Sure looks like him. Dave had some sweet hands around the net.(I know...I am just joking)

BooRadley

Aug 7, 2007
Its nice he has some motivation, seriously, who cares what he says. Go back to when Clarkson signed here to see the same script.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad