Confirmed with Link: Shawn Matthias signs for $2.3M/1 Yr

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Another 2nd round draft pick at the deadline - good signing nevertheless

If he's good, I don't mind keeping him around for a couple of transition years.

Interestingly enough, Shawn Matthias is the latest cheapo UFA signing from the Vancouver Canucks. The past couple of years they've signed Mason Raymond, David Booth and Mike Santorelli.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Matthias is actually really good..

Really love this signing.

I think with PP time and some quality ice he could score 25 goals... This is a guy who i would not be opposed to extending if he really impresses. You need size and skill and this guy has both.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

I think with PP time and some quality ice he could score 25 goals... This is a guy who i would not be opposed to extending if he really impresses. You need size and skill and this guy has both.

That's quiet possible as I believe with more playing time, he should be able to score 20+ goals

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Just as the "Leafs are too small!" argument dies down, they sign a 6'3, 220lbs winger.

For this year, our size wont be an issue. Guys like Winnik and Matthias definitely add some size for this year.

I think people are more concerned about the mighty mouse brigade we're bringing up in: Marner, Brown, Leipsic, Bracco, etc.

Personally, I'm happy with what the Leafs are doing. Size isn't everything in the NHL today... and there's a good chance that guys like Marner and Nylander end up pretty average sized for NHL forwards once they're done growing.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

I think that is a reasonable projection. I would like to see him get some top 6 ice & some PP time, that & the extra icetime over previous years will create the opportunity.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Just as the "Leafs are too small!" argument dies down, they sign a 6'3, 220lbs winger.

One of the biggest complaints that Canucks fans had against him was that he plays small. Rarely uses that giant body to protect the puck or knock other players off it.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I have been wanting and half expecting Shawn Matthias to play for the Maple Leafs for 2 years.

I really like his skating and size. He could be a very nice asset to trade for picks at the trade deadline.

Love this move.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
2nd = Spalding
Biggs/Erixon = 3rd
Kessel = Kapanen + 1st + 4 2nds + 4 Thirds

Traded: Parenteau Bozak Lupul Arcobello Matthias Frattin Polak Robidas Reimer Spalding

End of season:

JVR Kadri Nylander
Panik Holland Kapanen
Leivo Winnik Bailey
Komarov Carrick Hyman

Rielly Phaneuf
Gardiner Marincin
Percy Hunwick
Granberg

Bernier
Bibeau

Last edited:

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
I've seen him play since he was a kid, just don't expect him to be some kind of big bruiser just because he's 6-4 & 220. He's not overly physical, but he will be more than involved. He's always had a good nose for the net, kind of lanky but will get his get dirty to get the puck or go hard to the net. He's also another good, quite character/leader type that plays 200' of responsible hockey.

I expect to see good things from him with the extra icetime that he will get here (probably big reason for signing) & if things go well he should be at least a 3rd line centre who could potentially crack Leafs #2 spot.

Are there any big bruisers anymore, honestly?

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
2nd = Spalding
Biggs/Erixon = 3rd

Traded: Parenteau Bozak Lupul Arcobello Matthias Frattin Polak Robidas Reimer Spalding

End of season:

JVR Kadri Nylander
Panik Holland Kapanen
Leivo Winnik Bailey
Komarov Carrick Hyman

Rielly Phaneuf
Gardiner Marincin
Percy Hunwick
Granberg

Bernier
Bibeau

Umm... Cap floor?

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Canucks Fan/Leafs Fan Here

Biggest knock on Matthias is consistency. He can play center... but do not pencil him in there because he is way, way better on the wing. He likes to drive the puck wide, and use his speed/size to power the puck to the net and I think his game is best suited to the wing for this reason. The analytics also back up that he is much better at wing than center (although if we run into injuries, he can be a serviceable 3rd line center).

Worth noting: Last year
Vs East 13 goals, 8 assists in 30 games
Vs West 5 goals, 1 assist in 48 games

Also, of his 2.3 million dollar salary, 1.5 of that was a signing bonus so his actual salary is only 800k.

I think Matthias is set up to succeed in Toronto, and I really believe come deadline time he will be turned into a 2nd round pick.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
How can you be a Canucks and Leafs fan... How can you hate yourself SO much?

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
One of the biggest complaints that Canucks fans had against him was that he plays small. Rarely uses that giant body to protect the puck or knock other players off it.

When hes on the wing hes a lot better. I think hes able to use his size/speed to get in on the forecheck and win puck battles when hes on the wing.

On the Canucks he kind of played 50/50 center-wing, and he had stretches where he looked invisible (usually playing center) and games where he looked dominant (usually playing the wing and he would use his size/speed to try and beat the defender out wide and drive the net).

I think a 20-20 season is a pretty realistic expectation if hes in around the ~15 minute range.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
How can you be a Canucks and Leafs fan... How can you hate yourself SO much?

I cry myself to sleep most nights :cry:

With that said, its kind of neat because these teams both did a total 180 in their management groups.

The Benning/Nonis era are feeling very similar. I liked a lot of what Gillis/AV did, and think they took way more heat than he deserved.

I really like the management group the Leafs have in place now and I think the Matthias signing (1 year deal on a guy who was dominant vs the east last year.. likely gone at deadline) is a great example of these guys getting who they can turn into a valuable asset at the deadline.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
2nd = Spalding
Biggs/Erixon = 3rd

End of season:

JVR Kadri Nylander
Panik Holland Kapanen
Leivo Winnik Bailey
Komarov Carrick Hyman

Rielly Phaneuf
Gardiner Marincin
Percy Hunwick
Granberg

Bernier
Bibeau

who plays for the marlies?

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
I think this was missed by most

A lot of Canucks fans figured he would get 3.5-4 x3-4 years on the open market (which would be foolish, but seemed about the going rate for players like him with size).

Matthias isn't a world beater by any means, but this is straight up a very, very smart move by management.

WMT

Jul 1, 2015
Toronto, ON
Nice signing by the Leafs, definitely he could be traded for a nice draft pick in March.

By the way, both Santorelli and Franson are still without a contract. Let's sign them for a short term and get another 1st round at the deadline :naughty:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
A lot of Canucks fans figured he would get 3.5-4 x3-4 years on the open market (which would be foolish, but seemed about the going rate for players like him with size).

Matthias isn't a world beater by any means, but this is straight up a very, very smart move by management.

Let's see who gets better value.

Matthias (27) 18 goals 2.3 million
Belesky (27) 22 goals 3.8 million

Orbital

Sep 10, 2009
Denver,CO
Likes these moves.

Leafs are buying draft picks.

Matthias is the kind of player that would return a 3rd rounder at the deadline.

If he works out this year,Matthias is the kind of player that we need long term.From what I've read he is pumped to be a Leaf,and has the size and skill to be a wicked 3rd line winger.:yo:

Bernify

May 28, 2014

25 goals would mean he is a low tier first line winger. Temper your expectations.

PJJ

Jun 26, 2015
GTA
Winnik and Matthias are exactly the type of big players that can support the skilled smaller players that we've been drafting. Effective, and easy to acquire at a cheap price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad