Confirmed with Link: Shawn Matthias signs for $2.3M/1 Yr

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Another thing this signing does is all but guarantee Franson won't be returning, 8.2 million in cap space left with Bernier and Marincin both still to be signed.

I couldn't see them going up to the cap so realistically both will be signed for about 6 million combined.

No thanks Cody, you showed us what you are all about and we aren't interested.

Showed us what you are all about? Being the most offensively gifted leaf D? The only guy to salute the crowd? I don't know he doesn't seem that bad he just isn't 5x6 good is all.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
At Babcock's press conference he called Toronto "Canada's Team" and so you would expect a large % of Canadian content of players to comprise the team.

Matthias a good example of that of adding local talent to the Leafs roster. Winnik last weeks signing also a local Toronto kid added to the roster.

Don Cherry does often make this same point on coaches corner of Canadian born players playing on Canada's team increases the pride and motivation level to see the team win when not only playing for their team but the Country as well.
This is the only way to go when we now want to bring back those good old days where the maple leafs was canada's team. Babcock loves that there. Bring in even more canadians. Also I think Bozak won't be returning as a maple leaf now. I like that Matthias is a big strong player we really needed one of those after singing Arcobello and Parenteau. They some small jacks.

Canadian players are the only ones bringing that real fire. Being those real captains and all. We need to bring in even more. Matthias was a strong signing, he'll bring that fire alright.

Interested to see if bozak and phaneuf could be traded for some cool d-guy. That would make us even more stronger. Right now we have too many centers period. They'll be moving somebody out for sure.

YOYOTCROSTER*

Franson was never coming back. Gone are the days of the big slow footed defence who can only shoot. Why do you think no one has signed him yet? 6M lol what a joke. He will sit a long time until he gets realistic. He is a 5th or 6th defence at best on a good team. What happened in Nashville is what will happen on most other good teams.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Showed us what you are all about? Being the most offensively gifted leaf D? The only guy to salute the crowd? I don't know he doesn't seem that bad he just isn't 5x6 good is all.

He was horrid in defensive zone coverage, so there's no place for him on a Babcock coached team.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Franson was never coming back. Gone are the days of the big slow footed defence who can only shoot. Why do you think no one has signed him yet? 6M lol what a joke. He will sit a long time until he gets realistic. He is a 5th or 6th defence at best on a good team. What happened in Nashville is what will happen on most other good teams.

He may be the next Jason Allison, highly skilled but just too damn slow.

Back to the topic though, wonder where Matthias will slot in and how much PP time he will get?

maplehawk

HFB Partner
the hope with all of these signings is that they'll increase their value for the deadline by being given opportunities they wouldn't get on other teams.

matthias, winnik, hunwick, parenteau will get shots on this team they never would get anywhere else (save maybe 1-2 other places).

if 5 mins of extra ice a night allows matthias to put up 10-15 more points than he did last season and make himself worth a 2nd - mission accomplished.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Does he play the right side, or only the left? We're thin at RW

Well he shoots left so his strong side would be LW.

However some players prefer the off-wing to increase shooting angles.

I think Leafs will use him more as a center and move a younger player like say Holland to the wing.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Is anyone else surprised by the sheer volume of signings ? I was expecting us to be a lot quieter.

Management has clearly decided that none of our kids are ready for NHL action, so they brought in a whack of FA's to fill all the wholes.

Unless someone comes into camp and blows out socks off, the Marlies and Solar Bears will get quiet a boost from all our prospects.

I eat skittles

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Management has clearly decided that none of our kids are ready for NHL action, so they brought in a whack of FA's to fill all the wholes.

Unless someone comes into camp and blows out socks off, the Marlies and Solar Bears will get quiet a boost from all our prospects.

I eat skittles

so does Mitch :)

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
the hope with all of these signings is that they'll increase their value for the deadline by being given opportunities they wouldn't get on other teams.

matthias, winnik, hunwick, parenteau will get shots on this team they never would get anywhere else (save maybe 1-2 other places).

if 5 mins of extra ice a night allows matthias to put up 10-15 more points than he did last season and make himself worth a 2nd - mission accomplished.

I'm honestly hoping that we can turn 2 of them into mid to late 1st round picks. We could honestly end up picking something like 3rd, then 18th,19th,and 26th.

;)

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada

I eat skittles

How is this a bad thing? If none of our kids is better then Matthias why should they be in the NHL??

It is a 1yr contract and clearly getting 3rd/4th line players is easy and if thats the best we have in our development then let them develop more.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
How is this a bad thing? If none of our kids is better then Matthias why should they be in the NHL??

It is a 1yr contract and clearly getting 3rd/4th line players is easy and if thats the best we have in our development then let them develop more.

he never said it was a bad thing. it was a statement of fact.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

I eat skittles

True, but we got a lot more players this summer than we lost. I have to think some of this one way contracts may get sent to the Marlies. I suppose though if we have a couple vets on the Marlies we don't have to disrupt the kid's seasons by bringing them up after bodies are moved at the deadline.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

I eat skittles

If they are good enough theyll make it. If they arent they wont. Im looking for Brown to really challenge for a spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad