Confirmed with Link: Shawn Matthias signs for $2.3M/1 Yr

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
He's not naturally inclined to play a physical game but it'll just be good to have more of a presence for when you're introducing some 5'10" rookies. I wouldn't mind Matthias being converted into a 2nd, nor would I mind keeping for a Marner/Nylander rookie year.

I like the way you think.

Flipped at the deadline? Sure, great move. Plays well on the team and can contribute moving forward? Great, keep him past this season. Win-win. Matthias is not exactly the same as the Arcobello, Hunwick, or Parenteau signings, because he may actually fit with the team's future plan.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
We're currently at 48 roster spots, but Bernier and Marincin need to sign, which will put us to 50.

However, I'm assuming Nylander, Kapanen, and Donaghy all don't make the team, so their contracts will slide, putting us at 47.

So, we have 3 spots we can fill, should we want to

Bozak being gone may reduce that by 1. Have 2 spots open for flexibility, though.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
So looks like Bailey, Soshnikov and Hyman will all be with the Marlies. I thought all 3 would make it, but I guess we aren't going to be as purposely Buffalo as we thought.

That is what only a small group of fans that believed it was going to happen and Leafs go "full Buffalo" and tank for Auston Matthews.

The Babcock signing and now we're seeing with vets Matthias, Winnik that the Leafs are still trying to create a competitive environment and play a blue collar hard working style.

Also making it a challenge for young players to force their way on to the team and not giving them a free spot.

Leafs have been losing long enough thanks to the last management group and now this new management group is trying to create a winning environment.

I expected Santorelli to also return this summer to the Leafs unless this Matthias signing is instead of him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That is what only a small group of fans that believed it was going to happen and Leafs go "full Buffalo" and tank for Auston Matthews.

The Babcock signing and now we're seeing with vets Matthias, Winnik that the Leafs are still trying to create a competitive environment and play a blue collar hard working style.

Also making it a challenge for young players to force their way on to the team and not giving them a free spot.

Leafs have been losing long enough thanks to the last management group and now this new management group is trying to create a winning environment.

I expected Santorelli to also return this summer to the Leafs unless this Matthias signing is instead of him.

I think Matthias is the better choice, new face to flip at the deadline, and does add some size to the line up. Seems like he could return a 2nd, at worst a 3rd.

I liked the Winnik signing because he does add a good veteran presence, and he can help teach other players things like Pking, he had helped Holland last year.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 11m11 minutes ago
Kyle Dubas recently said #leafs offer free agents "a lot of visibility" and chance to build profile. Enter Matthias, Parenteau, Winnik, etc.
Winnik said last year that he had every bit as good a season with the Ducks the year before, but nobody noticed because of where he was playing.

Along with being able to throw millions at coaches/front office guys, take on bad contracts, etc.... this is another advantage we have over other teams. It's nice to finally have a management team that's actually smart enough to make use of them.

We're essentially just buying picks for next summer, but it also works to the benefit of the players because they get an opportunity to prove themselves on the biggest possible stage (as irrelevant as the Leafs will be for a few years) and maximize their value.

Last edited:

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Love this signing, it's been 15 years since we had a blue collar team like this one is turning into:

Sundin
Roberts
Tucker
Thomas
Korolev
McCabe
Valk
Corson
Yuskevich
Domi
Markov
Cross
Belak

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Great signing, a big forward who can play both center and wing. No risk at all with a one year deal. He would be useful to a playoff team at the deadline as well.

Our Management group continues to impress!

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Outside of the Kessel debate, I'm very happy with the decisions management is making this off season. Good targets on good contracts

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Interesting, Thanks.

What would the purpose of this be? To encourage teams to bring their Euros to North America??

The different rules concerning Euro and CHL players is mostly about protecting the CHL than anything to do with Europe.

Bernify

May 28, 2014
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 11m11 minutes ago
Kyle Dubas recently said #leafs offer free agents "a lot of visibility" and chance to build profile. Enter Matthias, Parenteau, Winnik, etc.

Dubas using economic incentives to motivate players, that's freaking genius. It also means that, more likely than not, Bozak is going to be dealt, in order for all these FA guys to get playing time.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Leafs bringing in vets to give Babcock more to work with.

Matthias size 6-4 is much needed to support a small prospect pool when they might get inserted from time to time throughout the line-up.

I think his size was a big factor in his signing as Dubas said "size can be acquired as needed".

The more vets added the less roster spot for the kids, but it shows the plan is likely more AHL seasoning and over-ripping like the Wings do with their prospects.

I agree, we have very veteran group and looking at the Team Roster over all, there are not many spots for AHL players and prospects, this year and adding Matthias is more of the same.

I may be one of the few that thinks Bozak will stay, I can't see dealing him unless we get a good return, he was our top center last year and he may be again this year.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005

The team is still pretty bad, especially without Kessel, and if any of Bozak, Phaneuf Polak, Lupul, or company get dealt before training camp, it'll be even worse.

I think Leafs Management has been smart -

a) We brought in a ton of affordable guys whose value can be increased (more ice time, pp time, better system), and moved for picks at the deadline.
b) We've stockpiled players so that kids like Nylander, Brown, and Kapenen don't need exposure to the losing, and if kids like Gauthier, Verhaeghe, and Valiev are not ready for Marlie prime time, they can start the year with Orlando and work up (it's called patience).
c) We've saved contract space by signing a bunch of guys to AHL deals that can be easily replaced with NHL deals as guys get moved.

This team is still probably one of bottom 3 teams in the league, but it'll play harder, and result in a multitude of 2nd - 5th round draft picks.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Getting players young enough so that they can be let go, traded or kept depending on what they show. Looks like a smart approach to me.

sIDEsHOW93

Apr 29, 2015
Canada
So far all we have is Pittsburgh's first (conditional), Anaheim's fifth, St. Louis' sixth and New Jersey's third. We have several useful players on one year deals though and they will be easy to flip at the deadline for more picks. Parenteau, Matthias, Arcobello and Spaling could all return more picks.

We have the following...
1st (TML), 1st (PP), 2nd (TML), 3rd (TML), 3rd (NJD), 4th (TML), 5th (TML), 5th (AD), 6th (TML), 6th (SLB), 7th (TML). And that is if we trade none of these rentals.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The team is still pretty bad, especially without Kessel, and if any of Bozak, Phaneuf Polak, Lupul, or company get dealt before training camp, it'll be even worse.

I think Leafs Management has been smart -

a) We brought in a ton of affordable guys whose value can be increased (more ice time, pp time, better system), and moved for picks at the deadline.
b) We've stockpiled players so that kids like Nylander, Brown, and Kapenen don't need exposure to the losing, and if kids like Gauthier, Verhaeghe, and Valiev are not ready for Marlie prime time, they can start the year with Orlando and work up (it's called patience).
c) We've saved contract space by signing a bunch of guys to AHL deals that can be easily replaced with NHL deals as guys get moved.

This team is still probably one of bottom 3 teams in the league, but it'll play harder, and result in a multitude of 2nd - 5th round draft picks.

Players on 1-year deals like Matthias are self motivating in that they are working hard in an effort to earn a new contract.

Leafs compete level in the 2nd half of last season was embarrassing and injecting a bunch of highly motivated blue collar players will up the compete level meter..

When also sign players like Kadri to 1-year prove it and earn your next deal that increases the intensity level even further.

If these players pull Santo and Winnik like performances of the past they will be very marketable as trade deadline assets to fuel the rebuild and short-term commitments to vets to build a competitive environment doesn't stagnate youth like long term contracts do.

Matthias is a perfect UFA signing with low risk/high reward potential.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
So looks like Bailey, Soshnikov and Hyman will all be with the Marlies. I thought all 3 would make it, but I guess we aren't going to be as purposely Buffalo as we thought.

Buffalo a few years ago was a gongshow that was ruining their prospects by throwing them into the NHL long before they were ready.

Last off-season they brought in guys ;ole Gionta, Moulson (back), Gorges, Benoit, Meszaros to let the prospects who shouldn't be in the NHL yet stay back in junior or down in the AHL or when playing in the NHL in insulated situations.

I really love these 1-2 year depth signing because it lets us have guys to flip at the deadline for assets + majority of prospects are better served playing most of next year in the AHL or back in junior. Give them injury replacement and late season call ups to help better prepare them for 16-17 and beyond. If a prospect busts down the door, room can and will be created.

Brown and Leipsic just completed their first AHL season. They can both use some more AHL times and benefit from coming up as injury replacements or post trade deadline call ups before being awarded a spot in the NHL. Nylander, Kapanen, Marner aren't even 20 yet. Hyman just turned pro towards the end of last season. They can definitely use some more AHL time or in the case of Marner junior time. Outside of those forward prospect, everyone else has limited upside.

On D, we've got 7 pro guys but Polak is almost definitely gone by the deadline and possibly also Robidas + injuries always happen. In terms of games played our # 7 guy in Holzer got 34 games, Brewer got 18 games, Erixon got 15, MacWilliams 12. This year I'm fully expecting at least 100 games but probably closer to 200 games or so to be spread out between guys like Percy, Harrington, Loov, Granberg, Nilsson, Finn. Some decent NHL minutes is up for the taking. This is addition to giving more minutes to only 21 years old Rielly + Marincin who hasn't even played 100 NHL games yet.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I now count 50 contracts once all RFAs are re-signed. That includes the 2 who won't playing NA professional hockey (Donaghy and Johnson), so effectively 48.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad