Confirmed with Link: Shawn Matthias signs for $2.3M/1 Yr

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The year of the place holders. At this rate, we will be icing four 3rd lines to start the season, LOL.

We are going to have a team with great work ethic that is going to lose more than it's share of hard fought games. Perfect.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't know how to feel this offseason. I agree with absolutely everything taking place.

It's a weird feeling. For once, I have full confidence in the guys steering the ship.

Seriously. I think the last time I was totally on board with the Leafs offseason was in 1994...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs bringing in vets to give Babcock more to work with.

Matthias size 6-4 is much needed to support a small prospect pool when they might get inserted from time to time throughout the line-up.

I think his size was a big factor in his signing as Dubas said "size can be acquired as needed".

The more vets added the less roster spot for the kids, but it shows the plan is likely more AHL seasoning and over-ripping like the Wings do with their prospects.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 11m11 minutes ago
Kyle Dubas recently said #leafs offer free agents "a lot of visibility" and chance to build profile. Enter Matthias, Parenteau, Winnik, etc.

Winnik got a two-year deal, and I think he might be sticking around this time. Last year was the audition and he passed, we just wanted to snap a 2nd rounder while we're at it. But I think the other guys get moved.

So far all we have is Pittsburgh's first (conditional), Anaheim's fifth, St. Louis' sixth and New Jersey's third. We have several useful players on one year deals though and they will be easy to flip at the deadline for more picks. Parenteau, Matthias, Arcobello and Spaling could all return more picks.

That gives us 11 (we get Pitts 2nd if the condition for 1st isn't met). I expect we move our 3rd this year to Detroit (we don't have our own 2017 3rd anymore), which makes it 10. If we dump at the deadline, wouldn't mind grabbing 2017 or even 2018 picks - be nice to be well-stocked for a few years in a row (also better for the development pipeline than having 13 in one year or something like that.)

Poor Shawn Mattias - three quarters of his thread is devoted to talking about acquiring draft picks :naughty:

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Poor Shawn Mattias - three quarters of his thread is devoted to talking about acquiring draft picks :naughty:

I don't think anyone signing a 1-year contract with us at this stage is too worried about that. They signed knowing they'll get ice-time, and knowing there's a good chance they get moved to a contender at the deadline. It's a fantastic option for a lot of players, and takes out the guesswork of looking for a good team to sign with that could still fall flat (Boston, SJ, LA, etc.).

YOYOTCROSTER*

This move may hurt the tank a little, like Winnik. The best thing that could happen next season is a last place finish. Leafs need Matthews. Once a franchise centre comes in then you build around with a 1D and 2D and a 1G. They have the wingers drafted already.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013

Matthias size 6-4 is much needed to support a small prospect pool when they might get inserted from time to time throughout the line-up.

I think his size was a big factor in his signing as Dubas said "size can be acquired as needed".

The more vets added the less roster spot for the kids, but it shows the plan is likely more AHL seasoning and over-ripping like the Wings do with their prospects.

I think Leafs management will be happy to give a rookie a spot ahead of a vet if he earns it. Kozun wasn't even on the radar and ended up making the team ahead of whats-his-face who ended up going back to KHL halfway thru the season.

I don't think we have too many kids knocking down the door yet anyway - Nylander might be good enough to play in a support role on a competing team, but it's probably better for him to play 1C for the Marlies than expose him to the NHL on a weak team.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Winnik got a two-year deal, and I think he might be sticking around this time. Last year was the audition and he passed, we just wanted to snap a 2nd rounder while we're at it. But I think the other guys get moved.

That gives us 11 (we get Pitts 2nd if the condition for 1st isn't met). I expect we move our 3rd this year to Detroit (we don't have our own 2017 3rd anymore), which makes it 10. If we dump at the deadline, wouldn't mind grabbing 2017 or even 2018 picks - be nice to be well-stocked for a few years in a row (also better for the development pipeline than having 13 in one year or something like that.)

You'll be happy the hear that the sites (generalfanager.com for example) that show us missing our 2017 3rd rounder are basing that on the 3rd round pick owed to Detroit for Babcock.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I don't think anyone signing a 1-year contract with us at this stage is too worried about that. They signed knowing they'll get ice-time, and knowing there's a good chance they get moved to a contender at the deadline. It's a fantastic option for a lot of players, and takes out the guesswork of looking for a good team to sign with that could still fall flat (Boston, SJ, LA, etc.).

I agree completely - it's win/win.

I was just smiling at our relative indifference to the player himself (as compared to the draft picks he might get us.)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This move may hurt the tank a little, like Winnik. The best thing that could happen next season is a last place finish. Leafs need Matthews. Once a franchise centre comes in then you build around with a 1D and 2D and a 1G. They have the wingers drafted already.

I don't necessarily think Matthias is going to come in and ruin the tank. It is good that we have big bodied veterans in the organization, so when the smaller kids come up they are somewhat insulated.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
You'll be happy the hear that the sites (generalfanager.com for example) that show us missing our 2017 3rd rounder are basing that on the 3rd round pick owed to Detroit for Babcock.

Ahh okay thanks for clarifying that. 2017 makes the most sense as we have the best chance of a strong season that year.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Tyler Bozak has to be gone right?

Possibly, but I imagine our forward lines end up looking something like this.

JVR Bozak Parenteau
Lupul Kadri Panik
Matthias Holland Arcobello
Winnik Spaling Komarov
XBailey

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I agree completely - it's win/win.

I was just smiling at our relative indifference to the player himself (as compared to the draft picks he might get us.)

Absolutely. Says a lot about where we are as a franchise now, and that the fanbase is buying in. We're a long way removed from the Komisarek signings now, hoping that every UFA we brought in could be a savior.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
So looks like Bailey, Soshnikov and Hyman will all be with the Marlies. I thought all 3 would make it, but I guess we aren't going to be as purposely Buffalo as we thought.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

He's big, but not a physical player, just in case that's what people are thinking.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He's big, but not a physical player, just in case that's what people are thinking.

He's not naturally inclined to play a physical game but it'll just be good to have more of a presence for when you're introducing some 5'10" rookies. I wouldn't mind Matthias being converted into a 2nd, nor would I mind keeping for a Marner/Nylander rookie year.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

The rules for the lottery have changed. Bottoming out isn't a guarantee of a 1st overall pick. The Leafs could finish dead last and still pick 4th overall. So there's no real guarantee either way to land Matthews.

Cotton

May 13, 2013

Franson was advertised as a stick of butter, I imagine Matthias can develop a physical game if that's what Babcock requires of him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We're currently at 48 roster spots, but Bernier and Marincin need to sign, which will put us to 50.

However, I'm assuming Nylander, Kapanen, and Donaghy all don't make the team, so their contracts will slide, putting us at 47.

So, we have 3 spots we can fill, should we want to

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
We're currently at 48 roster spots, but Bernier and Marincin need to sign, which will put us to 50.

However, I'm assuming Nylander, Kapanen, and Donaghy all don't make the team, so their contracts will slide, putting us at 47.

So, we have 3 spots we can fill, should we want to

If I recall correctly, players who play in the AHL also count against the 50 limit... so if Donaghy goes back to Junior, it puts us to 49.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
So looks like Bailey, Soshnikov and Hyman will all be with the Marlies. I thought all 3 would make it, but I guess we aren't going to be as purposely Buffalo as we thought.

Hyman most definitely, Soshnikov likely since he needs to acclamate to smaller rinks, Bailey signed a deal with the Leafs specifically because of the promise of ice-time in the pros so I seriously doubt that, plus we're not exactly booming at RW. Expect Bailey or Frattin at the 2nd or 3rd line RW spot.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
If I recall correctly, players who play in the AHL also count against the 50 limit... so if Donaghy goes back to Junior, it puts us to 49.

Nylander and Kapanen are Euros under 20, their AHL years at this point still don't count against the contract limit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad