Confirmed with Link: Shawn Matthias signs for $2.3M/1 Yr

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Another thing this signing does is all but guarantee Franson won't be returning, 8.2 million in cap space left with Bernier and Marincin both still to be signed.

I couldn't see them going up to the cap so realistically both will be signed for about 6 million combined.

No thanks Cody, you showed us what you are all about and we aren't interested.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nice signing. He can generate offence, could be a valuable piece to. flip at the trade deadline.

The team now was a wealth of thirline centres - perhaps another sign Bozak is about to be traded before the offseason (provided they can convince another team to take him)

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Buffalo a few years ago was a gongshow that was ruining their prospects by throwing them into the NHL long before they were ready.

Last off-season they brought in guys ;ole Gionta, Moulson (back), Gorges, Benoit, Meszaros to let the prospects who shouldn't be in the NHL yet stay back in junior or down in the AHL or when playing in the NHL in insulated situations.

I really love these 1-2 year depth signing because it lets us have guys to flip at the deadline for assets + majority of prospects are better served playing most of next year in the AHL or back in junior. Give them injury replacement and late season call ups to help better prepare them for 16-17 and beyond. If a prospect busts down the door, room can and will be created.

Brown and Leipsic just completed their first AHL season. They can both use some more AHL times and benefit from coming up as injury replacements or post trade deadline call ups before being awarded a spot in the NHL. Nylander, Kapanen, Marner aren't even 20 yet. Hyman just turned pro towards the end of last season. They can definitely use some more AHL time or in the case of Marner junior time. Outside of those forward prospect, everyone else has limited upside.

On D, we've got 7 pro guys but Polak is almost definitely gone by the deadline and possibly also Robidas + injuries always happen. In terms of games played our # 7 guy in Holzer got 34 games, Brewer got 18 games, Erixon got 15, MacWilliams 12. This year I'm fully expecting at least 100 games but probably closer to 200 games or so to be spread out between guys like Percy, Harrington, Loov, Granberg, Nilsson, Finn. Some decent NHL minutes is up for the taking. This is addition to giving more minutes to only 21 years old Rielly + Marincin who hasn't even played 100 NHL games yet.

Whether Buffalo ruined their prospects is debatable but none of Ristolainen, Zadorov and Grigorenko had any business playing in the NHL just yet. This is a mistake I hope the Leafs don't make. It's crazy to put these young players through that for no real benefit.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Another thing this signing does is all but guarantee Franson won't be returning, 8.2 million in cap space left with Bernier and Marincin both still to be signed.

I couldn't see them going up to the cap so realistically both will be signed for about 6 million combined.

No thanks Cody, you showed us what you are all about and we aren't interested.

Once Bernier and Marincin are signed, the Leafs will have 14 forwards,7 D and 2 goalies for 23 players. Unless a trade happens, I'd say we are done.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
This is perfect exactly what the Leafs need to be doing. Sign cheap 1 year contracts with role players who can be moved at the deadline for picks.

Hoping the Leafs can pick up Santorelli too.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
This guy was near the top of my wish list after Cody Hodgson.

I really like this signing by the Leafs and I hope this signals that a Bozak trade is also on the horizon now that Leaf have another center locked up for next season.

Excited to see Matthias in a Leaf jersey next year. :handclap:

Agree, good solid pick-up Ontario boy grew up in Mississauga so he knows the tradition and is probably jacked to be able to put that jersey on! I see a real trend to Ontario born players who understand to be able to play for the Leafs is a dream come true.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Whether Buffalo ruined their prospects is debatable but none of Ristolainen, Zadorov and Grigorenko had any business playing in the NHL just yet. This is a mistake I hope the Leafs don't make. It's crazy to put these young players through that for no real benefit.

There really shouldn't even be a debate.

I was actually specifically thinking of Grigorenko who split two seasons between the NHL and junior. He should have been back in junior for at least his post draft year.

Buffalo appears to have learned from this mistake and sent # 2 overall pick Reinhart back to junior last year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Agree, good solid pick-up Ontario boy grew up in Mississauga so he knows the tradition and is probably jacked to be able to put that jersey on! I see a real trend to Ontario born players who understand to be able to play for the Leafs is a dream come true.

Ontario kids getting a chance to play for their home team that they likely grew up cheering for and someday dreaming of playing for is a nice way to build up goodwill gesture with future UFA players recruitment potential. :wg:

Ontario kids always seem to have increased motivation to perform well for their home team when playing at the ACC, often in front of friends and family.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
This is the first signing this year that seems to be based on signing a guy who teams would want rather than someone with some underlying value. Big, plays center or wing, scores some goals and the 2mil suggests multiple teams wanted him

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This is the first signing this year that seems to be based on signing a guy who teams would want rather than someone with some underlying value. Big, plays center or wing, scores some goals and the 2mil suggests multiple teams wanted him

Toronto has finally discovered their place concerning UFAs.
You don't sign the players to 7 year, big money deals.
You sign them to short, dollar friendly deals.
Everyone wants to audition on HNIC.
There is no reason this organization shouldn't be getting extra picks every year even when we are good again.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
At Babcock's press conference he called Toronto "Canada's Team" and so you would expect a large % of Canadian content of players to comprise the team.

Matthias a good example of that of adding local talent to the Leafs roster. Winnik last weeks signing also a local Toronto kid added to the roster.

Don Cherry does often make this same point on coaches corner of Canadian born players playing on Canada's team increases the pride and motivation level to see the team win when not only playing for their team but the Country as well.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Waive Bozak?

Why on earth would waive Bozak? Are you honestly going to tell me he isn't worth a 2nd rounder at TD? Yes, by all means waive Lupul his play has been disgraceful for 2 years now but Bozak? Come on.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Franson was advertised as a stick of butter, I imagine Matthias can develop a physical game if that's what Babcock requires of him.

I've seen him play since he was a kid, just don't expect him to be some kind of big bruiser just because he's 6-4 & 220. He's not overly physical, but he will be more than involved. He's always had a good nose for the net, kind of lanky but will get his get dirty to get the puck or go hard to the net. He's also another good, quite character/leader type that plays 200' of responsible hockey.

I expect to see good things from him with the extra icetime that he will get here (probably big reason for signing) & if things go well he should be at least a 3rd line centre who could potentially crack Leafs #2 spot.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why on earth would waive Bozak? Are you honestly going to tell me he isn't worth a 2nd rounder at TD? Yes, by all means waive Lupul his play has been disgraceful for 2 years now but Bozak? Come on.

Safe to say Bozak won't be waived, not sure why you'd bring it up.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
At Babcock's press conference he called Toronto "Canada's Team" and so you would expect a large % of Canadian content of players to comprise the team.

Matthias a good example of that of adding local talent to the Leafs roster. Winnik last weeks signing also a local Toronto kid added to the roster.

Don Cherry does often make this same point on coaches corner of Canadian born players playing on Canada's team increases the pride and motivation level to see the team win when not only playing for their team but the Country as well.
Just look at a guy like Clarkson. Toronto kid and a huge success....... Oh wait.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I actually made a similar 1-year bid on Matthias back in the "UFA Bid" thread a while back. link (I also valued Brad Richards at 3 Million for 1 year, and Enroth at 1.25 for 1 year, exactly the contracts they signed in Detroit and LA)

Glad this deal got done. Matthias could really be a diamond in the rough, or liquidated for a pick if nothing else.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The rules for the lottery have changed. Bottoming out isn't a guarantee of a 1st overall pick. The Leafs could finish dead last and still pick 4th overall. So there's no real guarantee either way to land Matthews.

what's your point?

finishing last would be the best thing for us next year , regardless what happens in the lotto.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
good signing. should be able to flip for a 3rd or something later down the line.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Once Bernier and Marincin are signed, the Leafs will have 14 forwards,7 D and 2 goalies for 23 players. Unless a trade happens, I'd say we are done.

yup and in the ballpark of 1.2m cap space to start the season , then one adds hortons ltir after the season starts

save for the kessel return being unimpressive and them not taking who I wanted at 4/24 all in all I am ok with this off season , they seem to be true to their words

and bobby mac, ya anti tanker, get stuffed ,ya tub of jelly:laugh:

I'm packing up my leafs jersey for the winter and getting some army fatigues.:naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad