Confirmed with Link: Shawn Matthias signs for $2.3M/1 Yr

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
He's also a placeholder that could make van Riemsdyk available.

Perhaps.
I'm really holding out hope the JVR can return us a young 20-22 year old RHD along the lines of Larsson/Severson.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Doesn't have to be this year, we can choose this year's or next year's. I heard on here as well that it doesn't have to be ours, but could be any 3rd. If that's true, that could come in handy after the trade deadline if we deal some of these 1-year guys to contenders for picks.
We should get one for Nonis too

So dumb lol

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
So what does this say about Josh Leivo and Sam Carrick? They feel like those two aren't ready?

There's an organizational philosophy to keep guys in the Marlies, likely to help their development and probably to also keep their second contract $ number down (the way Tampa has done).

It's probably that Leivo and Carrick are called up after the deadline, when players are traded for picks.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
There's an organizational philosophy to keep guys in the Marlies, likely to help their development and probably to also keep their second contract $ number down (the way Tampa has done).

It's probably that Leivo and Carrick are called up after the deadline, when players are traded for picks.

Agree 100% and no better way to do it.

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay
Nice signing.

The important part of all these additions is that Toronto will be less willing to call-up the kids and rush them.

Don't prefer filler signings, seriously the roster is looking like an expansion team. Certainly better than talent that doesn't care, but still an expansion team.
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I dealy hope some bodies (WITHOUT filler coming back) are going to be moved out because this team is going to be really difficult to watch with no additions from within to players that are ready for the chance. Put it this way, I'm not excited to see Babcock coach Bozak, Phaneuf, Parenteau, Arcobello, Hunwick, Robidas, and Lupul.

Long for the days where the Leafs are no longer looking at free agency each and every year to fill major spots in the lineup. If no young players/Marlies make the team I see it as a major disappointment for not being able to beat out a placeholder. Patience is one thing, not seeing a single player make it from your farm system over plugs (2010-2011 drafts with seasoning) is another.

I'm still strapped in for the pain, but I am a tad apprehensive for the 2015-2016 Toronto Maple Leafs.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
So what does this say about Josh Leivo and Sam Carrick? They feel like those two aren't ready?

Not necessarily. If Babcock feels during training camp that there are prospects who give us a better chance to win night in/night out than some of the vets, they can still earn spots.

But I'd look at it as sheltering. They don't want to throw any young guys to the wolves without them having earned their place on the big team. We're expecting a rough year, let these guys play in the minors for the majority of the season, or act as call-ups for injuries, and then when we ship out some bodies for picks/prospects at the trade deadline, call up the guys who have really impressed in the AHL.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Don't prefer filler signings, seriously the roster is looking like an expansion team. Certainly better than talent that doesn't care, but still an expansion team.

I dealy hope some bodies (WITHOUT filler coming back) are going to be moved out because this team is going to be really difficult to watch with no additions from within to players that are ready for the chance. Put it this way, I'm not excited to see Babcock coach Bozak, Phaneuf, Parenteau, Arcobello, Hunwick, Robidas, and Lupul.

Long for the days where the Leafs are no longer looking at free agency each and every year to fill major spots in the lineup. If no young players/Marlies make the team I see it as a major disappointment for not being able to beat out a placeholder. Patience is one thing, not seeing a single player make it from your farm system over plugs (2010-2011 drafts with seasoning) is another.

I'm still strapped in for the pain, but I am a tad apprehensive for the 2015-2016 Toronto Maple Leafs.

That's the point when you need another top pick in 2016.

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay

That's what I thought would happen last year, but then instead Sill, Lindstrom, Brewer, and Jokinen were inserted into the roster, while Trevor Smith got increased minutes. Seriously it was torture watching that team, and the pain isn't done yet.

Don't expect nice things for this team, Babcock will be the highlight of the season. The face of the franchise is the coach, think about whether that is a good thing.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Yes it's an expansion team. That is a good thing from where I sit.

They will be better than last years team probably. Less difficult to watch despite losing often. The players will be playing a system just overpowered which should still be entertaining if you like quality hockey.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
nice pick up, i've liked his game for a while and great on a one year deal
the one thing this team can offer is opportunity....1st pp and mins
build up value, trade

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I'm starting to wonder how many of the 1-yr deals are going to be dealt at the deadline, they could very well be 'show me' contracts. Otherwise there is going to be a lot of Marlies playing post TD. and the Leafs are going to have TONS of picks over the next few years.

Yes. Hopefully more picks....and these guys are placeholders for current Marlies. If the top prospects aren't ready, we can keep the guys we can't flip for picks at the deadline, and let them walk at the end of the year at no big loss. Sign more guys next summer on one year deals until the prospects start filling in roster spots.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Top end 4th liner on a competitive team. Not our Bozak replacement.

pXY4Tu0.png

This would be a great signing for the 4th line if we were competitive. Strange signing.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Perhaps.
I'm really holding out hope the JVR can return us a young 20-22 year old RHD along the lines of Larsson/Severson.

Well something has got to happen in that forward group... We have 35 forwards under NHL or AHL contract. Right now the likes of Verhaeghe and Gauthier are stuck in the ECHL next year. I don't care what people say, smothering players like that does not help.

Heck something has the happen with the defensive group also. 7 players in the NHL for 6 spots (and they must be in the NHL due to their contracts). 10 guys for the AHL isn't awful, especially considering Granberg is injured for now, but even then that's a little excessive.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

This would be a great signing for the 4th line if we were competitive. Strange signing.

A 4th liner is exactly what a Bozak replacement would be...

Anyways, Matthias' underlying numbers aren't great, but has always produced points despite low playing time. It's possible that paired with other players who might lift his possession that he'll score even more.

On a one year deal, it's a really low risk bet to take.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

pXY4Tu0.png

Definitely not worth 2.3 million either. However, it doesn't matter come TDL.

However, he wouldn't directly replace Bozak. What would happen is Kadri would go from 2nd to 1st line, Holland from 3rd to 2nd line and then he (4th line center) or Arcobello (4th line RW) would become the 3rd line center with the other being the 4th line center. Then someone like Frattin would take over the 4th line RW spot.

It's another bargain bin signing, so it's automatically good, but I'd rather have Carrick have that spot honestly.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

pXY4Tu0.png

Linemates factor in also, I believe. I read that as someone who could probably produce more with more ice-time.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
6 (and counting) potential trade deadline assets to acquire much needed futures. They continue to follow a coherent plan. Very reassuring.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Imagine if you were paying a few hundred bucks 41 times.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I think people are setting themselves up for disappointment at next year's deadline. I doubt we're going to be dealing as many players as people hope.

Re: Matthias. Interesting signing. Surprised he didn't get more attention.

If it's just the 1 year rentals we are moving (and I think more will be signed over the course of the summer), I'd be happy with 2-3 extra mid-round picks. Having 10 picks instead of 5 each year (and what we think is better scouting) should help the prospect pool depth a lot.

Already there's Matthias and Polak who should each be worth something at TDL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad