Confirmed with Link: Shawn Matthias signs for $2.3M/1 Yr

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
I've seen it mentioned many times that we have a lot of picks in the 2016 draft.

Can someone please be so kind as to list them for me, and where we acquired the extra ones.

So far all we have is Pittsburgh's first (conditional), Anaheim's fifth, St. Louis' sixth and New Jersey's third. We have several useful players on one year deals though and they will be easy to flip at the deadline for more picks. Parenteau, Matthias, Arcobello and Spaling could all return more picks.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
LW James Van Riemsdyk – C Tyler Bozak – RW Joffrey Lupul
LW Nick Spaling – C Nazem Kadri– RW P.A. Parenteau
LW Leo Komarov – C Peter Holland – RW Richard Panik
LW Daniel Winnik – C Shawn Matthias– RW Mark Arcobello
Jamie Devane/Matt Frattin

So that is what it is at right now? Then let's assume Bozak is traded.

LW James Van Riemsdyk – C Nazem Kadri – RW Joffrey Lupul
LW Nick Spaling – C Peter Holland– RW P.A. Parenteau
LW Leo Komarov – C Shawn Matthias – RW Richard Panik
LW Daniel Winnik – C Mark Arcobello– RW Matt Frattin
Jamie Devane

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I've seen it mentioned many times that we have a lot of picks in the 2016 draft.

Can someone please be so kind as to list them for me, and where we acquired the extra ones.

1st - TOR
1st - PIT (Kessel deal)
2nd - TOR
3rd - TOR
3rd - PITS (Kessel deal)
4th - TOR
5th - TOR
5th - ANA (Holzer deal)
6th - TOR
6th - STL (Jokinen deal)
7th - TOR

As for the Matthias signing, love it.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Either Spaling or he are going to be playing the wing...or Bozak will be moving.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
1st - TOR
1st - PIT (Kessel deal)
2nd - TOR
3rd - TOR
3rd - PITS (Kessel deal)
4th - TOR
5th - TOR
5th - ANA (Holzer deal)
6th - TOR
6th - STL (Jokinen deal)
7th - TOR

We acquired New Jersey's third from Pittsburgh in the Kessel deal, not Pittsburgh's third. Will be a higher pick.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
LW James Van Riemsdyk – C Tyler Bozak – RW Joffrey Lupul
LW Nick Spaling – C Nazem Kadri– RW P.A. Parenteau
LW Leo Komarov – C Peter Holland – RW Richard Panik
LW Daniel Winnik – C Shawn Matthias– RW Mark Arcobello
Jamie Devane/Matt Frattin

So that is what it is at right now? Then let's assume Bozak is traded.

LW James Van Riemsdyk – C Nazem Kadri – RW Joffrey Lupul
LW Nick Spaling – C Peter Holland– RW P.A. Parenteau
LW Leo Komarov – C Shawn Matthias – RW Richard Panik
LW Daniel Winnik – C Mark Arcobello– RW Matt Frattin
Jamie Devane

What do you have Devane in there?

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
Good signing, no complaints from me. We signed a few guys to one year deals in order to flip them for picks, with Hunwick and Winnik signed at 2 years to probably flip next year. Lets us fill holes without needing to pull in too many young players after the deadline this season.

Good stuff.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Shawn Matthias to Toronto

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 29m29 minutes ago
Shawn Matthias gets a $2.3M, one-year deal from #leafs.

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 23m23 minutes ago
David Pagnotta retweeted Chris Johnston
Quality addition for the Leafs. David Pagnotta added,
Chris Johnston @reporterchris
Shawn Matthias gets a $2.3M, one-year deal from #leafs.
0 retweets 0 favorites
Reply Retweet Favorite
More
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 24m24 minutes ago
Leafs sign Shawn Matthias

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
So far all we have is Pittsburgh's first (conditional), Anaheim's fifth, St. Louis' sixth and New Jersey's third. We have several useful players on one year deals though and they will be easy to flip at the deadline for more picks. Parenteau, Matthias, Arcobello and Spaling could all return more picks.

Don't forget Frattin, Polak and Reimer already in the system all on one year deals.

Next season we'd have Winnik, Robidas, Hunwick and Kadri (and maybe Bernier) if he resigns one year again.

I think Phaneuf or Polak are gone this year. At this point, we have 7 guys that are going to be in the NHL. So either we are using Marincin or Hunwick as a 7th defenseman, or someone is getting traded. I find the former highly unlikely, especially since we have Brennan there, so I think someone gets traded.

LD Morgan Rielly – RD Dion Phaneuf
LD Jake Gardiner – RD Stephane Robidas
LD Martin Marincin – RD Roman Polak
T.J. Brennan/Matt Hunwick

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 11m11 minutes ago
Kyle Dubas recently said #leafs offer free agents "a lot of visibility" and chance to build profile. Enter Matthias, Parenteau, Winnik, etc.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
What do you have Devane in there?

Because he doesn't fit in the AHL and might as well throw him in as 13th forward in the NHL instead of someone important. Besides, I think he's gone before the start of this year anyways... In a similar fashion to Biggs and Erixon in the Kessel deal.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet 40s40 seconds ago
Shawn Matthias signs for 2.3 mil/1 year with Leafs. Beyond his size, his versatility is key. Might be better at Centre than on Wing.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 1m1 minute ago
Pretty sure Matthias was one of the first UFA players the Leafs talked with in the interview period. This has been considered for a while

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Because he doesn't fit in the AHL and might as well throw him in as 13th forward in the NHL instead of someone important. Besides, I think he's gone before the start of this year anyways... In a similar fashion to Biggs and Erixon in the Kessel deal.

2 assists in 39 games with the Marlies suggests he should go the other way not to the Leafs.

Sharabhi

Jan 10, 2008
1st - TOR
1st - PIT (Kessel deal)
2nd - TOR
3rd - TOR
3rd - PITS (Kessel deal)
4th - TOR
5th - TOR
5th - ANA (Holzer deal)
6th - TOR
6th - STL (Jokinen deal)
7th - TOR

Don't we have to give up a 3rd for Babcock?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Pretty much seals Bozaks fate. Babcock says he expects Kadri to be an elite player this year, so likely he gets #1c minutes. Then Holland and Matthias, and Dubas said Spaling will move back to centre this year.

While I'm sure Bozak is on board to move at some point, in the time he stays, he doesn't need to play center. He can move to the wing.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

Ah ok. Even then, I think he's probably ECHL bound if your scenario doesn't play out.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
While I'm sure Bozak is on board to move at some point, in the time he stays, he doesn't need to play center. He can move to the wing.

I already hate Bozak enough, putting him on the wing where you take away the only thing he's actually good at (faceoffs) seems highly counterproductive.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Don't we have to give up a 3rd for Babcock?

Doesn't have to be this year, we can choose this year's or next year's. I heard on here as well that it doesn't have to be ours, but could be any 3rd. If that's true, that could come in handy after the trade deadline if we deal some of these 1-year guys to contenders for picks.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Excellent signing & at a bargain price, I was hoping Leafs were going to target him but I was afraid the price might be too inflated. Cherry will be happy, another local GTHL boy.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
So what does this say about Josh Leivo and Sam Carrick? They feel like those two aren't ready?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad