Confirmed with Link: Shawn Matthias signs for $2.3M/1 Yr

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to Elliotte Friedman of Rogers Sportsnet, the Montreal Canadiens were interested in signing Shawn Matthias as well.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-players-like-kessel-tough-to-find/

13. Marc Bergevin is one of the more active GMs, in terms of working the phones. It’s difficult to know sometimes from the outside if he’s trying to do something, or simply collecting information. The Canadiens were in on a few things. They took a run at Matt Beleskey, but weren’t willing to go five years like Boston. There was dialogue with Shawn Matthias, but it’s tough to tell how far it got. And, knowing their needs, I’d be surprised if they didn’t at least inquire about Oshie. Again, though, I’m not sure it went anywhere. One agent did say Quebec’s taxes are a bigger factor than we consider, because they have to bid higher or give more term to overcome. Bergevin is very wary about that, because it will block his young players. One GM pointed out that Daniel Carr (who led AHL Hamilton in goals), and Sven Andrighetto (fourth in points) are waiver-eligible after next season. The Canadiens have to find out if they are NHLers.

14. Another example of how the market fooled people: the day before free agency, word was Toronto felt Matthias was out of its price range. A week later, he signed for one year and $2.3 million. He’s going to get a chance to play top six minutes — a big opportunity for him.

Last edited:

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
This is a trade at the tdl, like there are guys available every year like this that would love the exposure of coming to toronto and then signing a big deal after.

He is traded for a 2nd round pick at the tdl or better, extending him shouldn't even be considered

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
According to Elliotte Friedman of Rogers Sportsnet, the Montreal Canadiens were interested in signing Shawn Matthias as well.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-players-like-kessel-tough-to-find/

Was Matthias promised a chance to play top 6

14. Another example of how the market fooled people: the day before free agency, word was Toronto felt Matthias was out of its price range. A week later, he signed for one year and $2.3 million. He’s going to get a chance to play top six minutes — a big opportunity for him.

Not many have him playing in the top six.

If he plays in the top 6 will it be as a center or winger, if it's as a center it could mean a trade, or possibly Bozak or Kadri will play 3 line center, or possibly one or the other of them will move to the wing?

Interesting.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Was Matthias promised a chance to play top 6

Not many have him playing in the top six.

If he plays in the top 6 will it be as a center or winger, if it's as a center it could mean a trade, or possibly Bozak or Kadri will play 3 line center, or possibly one or the other of them will move to the wing?

Interesting.

Analytically he is much better on the wing. I would assume Dubas would look at this and really push to have him on the wing.

Its a pretty significant difference (I think hes a positive possession player on the wing, and something like a 45% player at center.. but im ballparking)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If Bozak is dealt, it makes a lot of sense for Matthias to play 2C, with Holland playing 3C.

Really hope it happens. Matthias is a guy I've always liked. He's likely only here til the TDL, but still.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Analytically he is much better on the wing. I would assume Dubas would look at this and really push to have him on the wing.

Its a pretty significant difference (I think hes a positive possession player on the wing, and something like a 45% player at center.. but im ballparking)

That's interesting what side does he play?

If Bozak is dealt, it makes a lot of sense for Matthias to play 2C, with Holland playing 3C.

Really hope it happens. Matthias is a guy I've always liked. He's likely only here til the TDL, but still.

I know a lot of people won't like this but I see Kadri as a winger and with Phil gone....

JVR/Bozak/Kadri
Lupul/Matthias/Parenteau

That is a veteran top six

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008

I know a lot of people won't like this but I see Kadri as a winger and with Phil gone....

JVR/Bozak/Kadri
Lupul/Matthias/Parenteau

Parenteau in the top six screams disaster.

Although apparently that's the plan. :laugh:

I'd rather shift Holland to the wing and play Parenteau with Winnik and Spaling.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

JVR/Bozak/Kadri
Lupul/Matthias/Parenteau

lol shhhh. people might freak out if you have Kadri on the wing

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
lol shhhh. people might freak out if you have Kadri on the wing

Well it does give us the best scorers on the top line and Bozak is the best face-off center but it could also be if Matthias is on the wing

JVR/Bozak-Kadri/Parenteau
Lupul/Bozak-Kadri/Matthias

Take your pick.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
it sounded like they wanted Matthias to play centre

I am really curious what they're gonna do because they promised PAP he'll have great opportunity, ditto with Matthias... + Bozak + Kadri + Holland (and you know Carrick is going to push for a job)... someone is gonna not be playing centre.

Calacatz

Jacked!
Aug 10, 2005
Does it really matter where he plays?? We just need the guy to stay healthy score enough goals to attract trade deadline interest and become another pick for Hunter at the draft..

The leafs are finishing bottom 5 regardless what they do with the lineup.. this is a filler group to collect picks, help with the tank and allow the future to evolve as a unit with the Marlies and get some late season minutes and looks from the big club.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Babcock mentioned Bozak and Kadri as his top centers. That alone should give people an idea of why Kadri is placed as a center even after Matthias.

Matthias very likely starts as a winger when everyone is healthy. Or until Bozak is eventually traded if at all.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Matthias is one of the most frustrating players you will watch if you expect a lot out of him.

He is big, he can shoot, he drives the net, he uses his size with the puck. But the moment the puck is not on his stick, the guy is basically kyle wellwood.

Does not hit ever, never wings board battles, floats around, and can go long stretches where he is completely invisible for weeks.

And this is coming from a big Matthias supporter on our boards.

He should be good for a 2nd/3rd rounder at the deadline, smart move

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Matthias is one of the most frustrating players you will watch if you expect a lot out of him.

He is big, he can shoot, he drives the net, he uses his size with the puck. But the moment the puck is not on his stick, the guy is basically kyle wellwood.

Does not hit ever, never wings [sic]board battles, floats around, and can go long stretches where he is completely invisible for weeks.

And this is coming from a big Matthias supporter on our boards.

He should be good for a 2nd/3rd rounder at the deadline, smart move

Didn't we just rid of that guy? On a serious note. I have to admit, he wasn't on my radar as someone to pick up in the off season. This is where I am trusting the management and analytics team to target smart acquisitions. As far as I am concerned, it's signings like this, Marincin trade, Hunwick and Parenteau that have our brain trust on the clock. Not everyone turns out, but if a few of these guys turn into top 3 round draft picks at the deadline or even important parts of the team moving forward, it would go a long way to help evaluate our new management and development team.

Last edited:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

i grew up watching and cheering for the leafs,†said the native of mississauga, located just west of toronto. “my dad (brian) and all his friends were big leaf fans, so we tried to watch as many games on tv as we could. My dad had a mats sundin jersey and my brother steven and i both had home jerseys. This will be my first leaf jersey with a name on the back. Pretty sweet it will be mine.â€

pretty sweet, indeed, for a player coming off a season in which he scored a career-best 18 goals, third highest on the vancouver canucks, while spending just 16 minutes in the penalty box.

“i think it's a great opportunity here to play for a great coach (mike babcock) and to play in a great hockey city,†said matthias. “playing in your hometown can be tough, but i think it's great place for me to grow as a player and play hard in front of lots of family and friends.â€

“all my friends and family grew up watching the leafs and when i was a kid i always dreamed of playing on the leafs. If playing for your hometown team that you grew up watching doesn't get you excited to play, i should find a new job.â€

don’t expect to see mathias filling out his résumé any time soon.

“i want to play the best that i can. I've been working hard to build off of last season,†he said. “whatever role i'm given, i want to play it the best of my abilities. I'm excited to be playing at home and i'm ready for the challenge. It's exciting to say i'm a leaf and i can't wait to get started.â€

no word yet, however, if matthias and his girlfriend have fitted their new black lab pup, rocky, with any maple leafs gear.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Our centers, to start the year anyways will be: Kadri-Bozak-Holland-Spaling. Babs pretty much confirmed that.

JVR-Kadri-Lupul
Matthias-Bozak-Parenteau
Beck-Holland-Panik
Komarov-Spaling-Arcobello

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Our centers, to start the year anyways will be: Kadri-Bozak-Holland-Spaling. Babs pretty much confirmed that.

JVR-Kadri-Lupul
Matthias-Bozak-Parenteau
Beck-Holland-Panik
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Wow this is one ugly lineup. It's going to be very hard watching this lineup for a whole year, but gotta keep in mind we still have Rielly, Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, Brown, Kadri, JVR, Harrington and hopefully Chychrun next draft.

Trade Phaneuf, Bozak, Lupul, Parenteau, Spaling, Beck, Matthias at the deadline for picks and prospects.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

JVR-Kadri-Lupul
Matthias-Bozak-Parenteau
Beck-Holland-Panik

I think Bozak will be the 1st line center because he is our best player for face-off's and Kadri will again play 2nd line center, the rest looks ok but Winnik has been left out and will play on the wing somewhere in the line-up, possibly on the 2nd line

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I think Bozak will be the 1st line center because he is our best player for face-off's and Kadri will again play 2nd line center, the rest looks ok but Winnik has been left out and will play on the wing somewhere in the line-up, possibly on the 2nd line

Imo, the only way we have a '1st' line is if JVR and Lupul play together. If you separate them, then we have 2 2nd lines and 2 3rd lines.

Regsauceleafs

Jun 13, 2015
I can see the lineup shaping up something like this:

Jvr bozak parenteau
Winnik kadri lupul
Matthias holland panik
Komarov spaling arcobello

I don't like parenteau on the top line but I think it balances the rest of the lines pretty nicely for a bad lineup. I'd be excited to watch that 3rd line play together, I think holland can have a really solid breakout season with those wingers

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Hey!

What's happening with Shawn this season?

He ended up being a pretty good utility guy for us at the end of last season but he seems to have ended up in the doghouse in Toronto?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad