Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Thread XX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I see a lot of people saying that Celebrini will immediately score more than Smith. I think they are offensive talents of similar level, I would give Macklin a slight advantage. But I would like to know how you see their maximum offensive potential.
I believe Macklin has more floor and Smith has more ceiling. Offensively I would say Smith will produce a little, very little, better in the long run.

I think maximum offensive potential for Smith is actually really high, 100+ pts guy that totally takes over games offensively but will also periodically make bad defensive plays that make us all groan.

I think Celebrini may have a season or two like that but might hit just below Smith in points but have a huge impact on the overall success of the team in all ends. I also feel like there’s a world Smith gets shut down in the playoffs and Macklin continues to dominate.

That said, I feel like Macklin might still surprise and grow into that generational player people say he’s just shy of. I think his personality + elite training literally being in his blood + how damn young he still is gives him so much growth potential.

If both reach even close to their ceilings it’s going to be an absolute treat to watch, I genuinely cannot wait.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
This is an absurd take, that trade was a coup by Grier and you can make a reasonable argument that Bystedt is a better prospect than the Conor Geekie who was taken at 11 by the Coyotes. I would much rather have Bystedt, Lund, and Havelid than Geekie or Mateychuk.
Mateychuk is pushing it. But that’s mostly because I’m lower on Lund and high on Mateychuk.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I see a lot of people saying that Celebrini will immediately score more than Smith. I think they are offensive talents of similar level, I would give Macklin a slight advantage. But I would like to know how you see their maximum offensive potential.
I believe Macklin has more floor and Smith has more ceiling. Offensively I would say Smith will produce a little, very little, better in the long run.
I think it's just that they fit pretty well into preexisting NHL player archetypes that we've seen in the past. Smith has a pretty typical young skilled offensive forward thing going on so you don't know if he's gonna translate that seamlessly to pros while Celebrini has that well rounded hockey game that works at all levels of hockey.

I could see them putting up comparable numbers but I don't think Smith will ever be a hard top line minutes guy, especially with Celebrini around so there's a chance that Smith will put up more points just from feasting on softer minutes over their careers

Reactions: OversKy and JotAlan

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I may be too high on Macklin but his shot, skating, explosiveness, and vision are all as good or better than Smith. He carried a less stacked team and scored nearly as many PPG as a 17 year old, 1.25 years younger than Smith.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
If Beaupit doesn't sign an ELC that means that'll be two consecutive goalies we drafted who ended up re-entering the draft (Gaudreau). Neither is good, but it wouldn't kill to actually draft and keep players at our weakest position prospect-wise.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Celebrini is 15 months younger than Smith but is still the better player right now. That says it all.

Have you ever heard of floor and ceiling? I stated that Celebrini is better now. But if they both reach their potential I see Will as a slightly better offensive player. It's a Toews-Kane type situation.
Imo, if they both reach their potential, they will be a two-headed monster.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Have you ever heard of floor and ceiling? I stated that Celebrini is better now. But if they both reach their potential I see Will as a slightly better offensive player. It's a Toews-Kane type situation.
Imo, if they both reach their potential, they will be a two-headed monster.
At Smith's age Patrick Kane also scored 71 points...in the NHL. Smith is never going to be Patrick Kane. Realistically his ceiling is more like Jack Eichel. Maybe if we're lucky Smith develops great chemistry with Celebrini and becomes a Panarin level winger but I'm skeptical he has the hockey IQ to do it.

I'm just thrilled that we're going to have a great 1C and great 2C/1RW in the future, filling in two huge holes in the rebuild's foundation. They're probably not going to be the next Toews/Kane or Crosby/Malkin but they don't need to be.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
At Smith's age Patrick Kane also scored 71 points...in the NHL. Smith is never going to be Patrick Kane. Realistically his ceiling is more like Jack Eichel. Maybe if we're lucky Smith develops great chemistry with Celebrini and becomes a Panarin level winger but I'm skeptical he has the hockey IQ to do it.

I'm just thrilled that we're going to have a great 1C and great 2C/1RW in the future, filling in two huge holes in the rebuild's foundation. They're probably not going to be the next Toews/Kane or Crosby/Malkin but they don't need to be.

I'm not saying Smith will be Kane, I'm saying he has the potential to come close.
You used two interesting examples. Kane scored 72 at 18/19, Panarin scored 77 at 23/24. But Panarin made 120 and Kane never did. In other words, development is not linear. That doesn't mean Smith will reach that level, but it's possible.
I believe he and Macklin will be 90/100 point players at some point, at least once.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
agree :) [ When writing this criteria out I was surprised to learn that patrick marleau hit 70 points only 6 times in his career; and even joe thornton hit 80 points 7 times in his career ]
First half of Thorntons career was early ages and dead puck era, 2nd half of career he was bogged down by Marleau.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

Patty Ice

Mighty Luca
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
If Beaupit doesn't sign an ELC that means that'll be two consecutive goalies we drafted who ended up re-entering the draft (Gaudreau). Neither is good, but it wouldn't kill to actually draft and keep players at our weakest position prospect-wise.

This ain't the draft to do it 😁

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad