Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Daniel Sprong to 1-Year Deal ($975K)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Not my assessment of Sprong as one of the league's best 'value contracts'. That's the assessment of the 'Daily Faceoff' website. And oh by the way, Hoglander also makes their list for obvious reasons.

Research....research....research. For posters it's not hard to do, if you understand how to use 'Google'.

I don't know if "I just train myself on lots of internet and then regurgitate the opinion as my own" is necessarily an ideal comeback to an AI accusation.

• Haha
Reactions: Zarpan and Vector

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I posited this in a thread that I can't quite remember the name of awhile ago to do with Sprong's defensive deficiencies, and possible correlation to nationality. This may be another puzzle piece.

As a Canadian living 4 years in the Netherlands, I have found that by and by large, Dutch consider themselves experts in everything and won't admit weaknesses/nor work on them. They largely refuse to take responsibility for a situation partially or completely of their making and do not acknowledge others at large unless interacting with them. They also remain willfully ignorant of how their actions affect others.

As Sprong is Dutch, I genuinely think that this cultural psyche has hugely impacted his play style. I suspect we see a Sprong this year prone to excellent offensive output, decent defensive play slacking off into laziness; rinse and repeat for 10 game cycles. I hope I am wrong. But this is what I expect. The guy to bloom offensively to get a 2 or 3 year contract out of this season, but not to put the body on the line for the team... or the effort.

Hope I'm wrong.

34i8mi9.jpeg

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
If Sprong keeps doing what he did last game he will stick. In other words, if he scores 82 goals this season, I don't think they will waive him.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't know if "I just train myself on lots of internet and then regurgitate the opinion as my own" is necessarily an ideal comeback to an AI accusation.
Daniel Sprong and Nils Hoglander are on the Daily Faceoff's list of the highest value contracts under the $2 million mark, and it's been up or the past month. Always a good plan to 'look before you leap; or 'regurgitate before you post'.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Ok you got me. I can’t go back as I’m wanted for diamond and ecstasy smuggling. Also Dutch people are tall, the country is flat, and everyone rides those bikes.
Don't forget the clogs and that whole 'finger in the dike' thing that is just...yah know...awkward...

If Sprong keeps doing what he did last game he will stick. In other words, if he scores 82 goals this season, I don't think they will waive him.
Quotes from Tocchet basically confirm that the coaching staff and management have committed to working with him through a few hiccups this season to see what kind of player he can become.

Reactions: Indiana

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Daniel Sprong and Nils Hoglander are on the Daily Faceoff's list of the highest value contracts under the $2 million mark, and it's been up or the past month. Always a good plan to 'look before you leap; or 'regurgitate before you post'.
What?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I posited this in a thread that I can't quite remember the name of awhile ago to do with Sprong's defensive deficiencies, and possible correlation to nationality. This may be another puzzle piece.

As a Canadian living 4 years in the Netherlands, I have found that by and by large, Dutch consider themselves experts in everything and won't admit weaknesses/nor work on them. They largely refuse to take responsibility for a situation partially or completely of their making and do not acknowledge others at large unless interacting with them. They also remain willfully ignorant of how their actions affect others.

As Sprong is Dutch, I genuinely think that this cultural psyche has hugely impacted his play style. I suspect we see a Sprong this year prone to excellent offensive output, decent defensive play slacking off into laziness; rinse and repeat for 10 game cycles. I hope I am wrong. But this is what I expect. The guy to bloom offensively to get a 2 or 3 year contract out of this season, but not to put the body on the line for the team... or the effort.

Hope I'm wrong.
Well that's a post that you just decided to post...

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Quotes from Tocchet basically confirm that the coaching staff and management have committed to working with him through a few hiccups this season to see what kind of player he can be.

Nice to have scoring in the bottom 6, easier to teach defensive responsibilities to a forward than to teach skill as that comes naturally.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
I like Dutch people. The ones I know/knew can be irritating but they don’t bullshit you and they have all been generally friendly and good natured. By the way, Sprong moved to Canada when he was 8. Oh and Amsterdam is a very cool city.

Reactions: Vector

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I like Dutch people. The ones I know/knew can be irritating but they don’t bullshit you and they have all been generally friendly and good natured. By the way, Sprong moved to Canada when he was 8. Oh and Amsterdam is a very cool city.

Yeah, in terms of 'what he is' as a player Sprong is a French-Canadian kid more than anything - he came to Canada when he was 8, mostly grew up near Montreal, played 4 years in the QMJHL. And he self-identifies as Canadian and has avoided playing for the Netherlands internationally.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Mmhm..

Lets just say I think your comment said a lot about you and not a whole lot about the Dutch.

Lets just say that you have nothing of particular note to say. Tell you what. Go live in 10 countries, travel to 80+, and then live amongst one foreign population for 5+ years. Maybe you can put your excellent observational skills to use with societal observations.

Try living amongst the Dutch during covid. See how much their self interest and yours align.

See how your opinion of someone changes when they are covid positive, pre vaccine, and come and take off their mask to talk to you at 0.5m away because "their voice is muffled". Many times over.

See how your opinion of a country changes when you hear multiple people remark how the escalation of the Ukranian-Russian war and hosting of Ukraine refugees is a "good thing" because "Ukranians are good workers".

Tell me how you would feel when you see people commenting in public that the reason we have rats and seagulls in cities is because Muslims are feeding them food that cannot be eaten otherwise.

Tell me how you feel when a city instrumental to the slave trade and atrocities of the Dutch East India company refuses to issue an apology for slavery.

And how would you feel if more than 50% the population of a country that was built on the backs of coercion, violence, slavery, intimidation, and economic exploitation thinks they should not issue an apology for slavery in 2024? Why? "because, then, we might have to pay reparations if we admit fault"

Maybe you'd like to dress up in blackface and red lipstick for Christmas to mimic Santa's "helper" who "is now covered in soot because he came down the chimney"?

TELL ME HOW YOU FEEL when 30% of the Dutch population votes for a climate change denialist when 1/4 the country is below sea level because he is also anti-foreigner, and is going to "deal with the muslims".

Maybe you prefer to have your racism institutionalized at a federal level where algorithms go after those with Arabic last names for 'tax-fraud', uprooting tens of thousands of lives with 'tax fraud charges' that are ultimately proven to be baseless?

Maybe you think it's totally acceptable that a superior at work comments that an Asian colleague doesn't need sunglasses while working at sea on a sunny day because their eyes are almost closed already?

I liked every Dutch person I ever met, which was several hundred, before I moved to the Netherlands. Safe to say that impression presented by individual/small group of Dutch abroad vs behaviour of Dutch in the Netherlands is a vastly different story. My impression of Dutch society has been greatly downgraded since living in it.

Amsterdam is a cool city, but it's also not the entirety of the Netherlands, believe it or not.

I'm also well aware of when Sprong moved to Canada. You form a lot of life-long habits from your associations and nature/nurture in the first 8 years of your life.

I hope he succeeds, but I expect to see relatively constant offensive effort and decent progressing to lazy defensive effort every 10 games followed by a scratch or other 'message-sending' event.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caspian

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I hope he succeeds, but I expect to see relatively constant offensive effort and decent progressing to lazy defensive effort every 10 games followed by a scratch or other 'message-sending
Let me get this straight:

You are predicting that a guy going into his 9th NHL season who has previously shown he focuses harder at one end of the ice and far less so at the other will likely do the same as he’s always done, but the reason you and you alone have this intel is that you’ve lived in the Netherlands?

Couldn’t you just have figured this out by reading about the player?

Also, what of all of the Canadian, American, Swedish, Russian etc players that tend to care about one end of the ice more than the other?

I’m bored as heck this am…I‘m now genuinely excited to sit down and read your other musings on the world of hockey (and the world in general).

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Let me get this straight:

You are predicting that a guy going into his 9th NHL season who has previously shown he focuses harder at one end of the ice and far less so at the other will likely do the same as he’s always done, but the reason you and you alone have this intel is that you’ve lived in the Netherlands?

Couldn’t you just have figured this out by reading about the player?

Also, what of all of the Canadian, American, Swedish, Russian etc players that tend to care about one end of the ice more than the other?

I’m bored as heck this am…I‘m now genuinely excited to sit down and read your other musings on the world of hockey (and the world in general).

No. I said that was where I believe his inherent defensive deficiencies may have arisen from. So, thanks for clarifying. Do note the "possible correlation" I used in my initial post.

And as everyone knows, correlation does not equate to causation.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Get this shit back on track. If you want to know where my impressions of Dutch society have come from, start a private message thread. I'll write you an essay. If you don't, get off your soap box.

PuckMunchkin: If you really want, I'll get a Finnish friend here to write you her impressions of the Dutch which are largely the same in your own language. Maybe you'll have something to say then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad