Shanahan Post Season Presser

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Though if say the Leafs problem was putting the puck in the net in the playoffs more so than keeping it out. Look no further than game 7 where their only goal came with just a minute left.

This is what some refer to as "Defense wins championships" means that playoff scoring dries up and teams get better defensively, tighter checking and less time and space and more physical.

Glass half full vs half empty . .Some see this as lack of offense when really its about strong defense and limiting and containing shutting down offense of the opposition.

Leafs problem was also putting the puck in the net last year against Columbus as well when they got shutout in 2 and almost 3 of the 5 games, by the 3rd lowest scoring team in the league.

Leafs are among the highest scoring teams in the regular season, but that doesn't seem to translate to similar playoff production, when the game changes. This is a problem with our Leafs.

Teams like Montreal and Columbus last year squeak into the playoffs, but are better assembled for playoff style hockey success if they get in. They don't need 40 goal scorers or 100 point players, to match Leafs offense they need solid systems and defense and strong goaltending. Just like the loss of Panarin and Duchene from CBJ didn't stop them from beating our Leafs, by shutting down Leafs offense.

Reactions: Just this once

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
This is what some refer to as "Defense wins championships" means that playoff scoring dries up and teams get better defensively, tighter checking and less time and space and more physical.

Glass half full vs half empty . .Some see this as lack of offense when really its about strong defense and limiting and containing shutting down offense of the opposition.

Leafs problem was also putting the puck in the net last year against Columbus as well when they got shutout in 2 and almost 3 of the 5 games, by the 3rd lowest scoring team in the league.

Leafs are among the highest scoring teams in the regular season, but that doesn't seem to translate to similar playoff production, when the game changes. This is a problem with our Leafs.

Teams like Montreal and Columbus last year squeak into the playoffs, but are better assembled for playoff style hockey success if they get in. They don't need 40 goal scorers or 100 point players, to match Leafs offense they need solid systems and defense and strong goaltending. Just like the loss of Panarin and Duchene from CBJ didn't stop them from beating our Leafs, by shutting down Leafs offense.
The Leafs were the better defensive team in both series.

I'd say the other team had better goaltending, one being an obvious star and the other being a 1A level goalies at best.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021

Any idea why such a potent regular season offence gets completely neutralized by mediocre teams like the CBJ and Montreal?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
No change !

A1B747D3-FFAA-48CF-9B2C-7692EA20B25C.jpeg

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I just watched the press conference and that Steve Simmons question had be cracking up. I hate myself for enjoying that.

As far as this management team goes, I just didn't think they had answers today. Its a tough sell preaching patience when you've been ousted in the first round 5 years in a row.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
As far as this management team goes, I just didn't think they had answers today. Its a tough sell preaching patience when you've been ousted in the first round 5 years in a row.

The Three Stooges only have to sell the “continuity” narrative to the MLSE board.

Being humiliated as beta cucks at pressers is a small price to pay for such primo jobs, which none of them are qualified for.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I found it odd that they went on about how they generated lots of scoring chances but just couldn't finish. That's not how I remember it.
Their chances came late for the most part. Game 7 was a debacle that I I'll stay with us for a while, but they could have won Game 5 and 6. They outchanced the Habs both games, but made glaring errors. Id also say Campbell wasnt great specifically in Game 5.

A lot of the comments were from Marner and Matthews as well about chances, which they did have - especially Mitch. He had 2-3 games in a row where he skated himself out of an open net.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I just watched the press conference and that Steve Simmons question had be cracking up. I hate myself for enjoying that.

lol I love how Shanahan went from this is something normal players go thru to well there's a first time for everything. Good job Simmons

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
So...it's status quo at least for another season. Brilliant! Just drink the kool ade and never mind.

Well they got a reprieve this past year because of covid and no fans in the stands. Rest assured that if they remain status quo and then stumble out of the gate next season, the fans will let them have it.

AndyWozniewski

Jan 18, 2017
I really wish it had been a full house for game 7 instead of just a few hundred nurses doing sodoku puzzles and playing solitaire on their iPhones.

Would the fans have been hostile as the 3rd period wound down? That may have been enough to bring about some firings.

MLSE doesn’t want to fans to humiliate the organization on national television.

Think back to how hard Burke defended that bumbling jackass Ron Wilson. It wasn’t until the “Fire Wilson” chants were drowning out the broadcast that Burke finally had to euthanize him.
I wish it was a full house too so our fans could boo the shit out of these losers for such an uninspired performance. They need to feel the anger from their own fans.

Reactions: rumman

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

What was the question?

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
What was the question?
His first question was How come your big guns keep coming up empty in the biggest games year after year? Shanny basically just said that throughout history you've had lots of superstars that went through growing pains and the team would hold onto them and keep building around them and eventually they figure it out.

The 2nd question was more of a statement in saying that "I dont know where you get your history from but no team that I know has lost in the 1st round 5 yrs in a row and then went on to win a Stanley cup". His answer was that people used to always say you can't win with a European captain or you can't win with Russians and then they go on to win a Stanley cup. Which was actually a pretty good comeback.

I hate Simmons but his questions were very valid criticisms that we are all thinking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad