Shanahan Post Season Presser

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The Avs have one of the most high octane offensive forward groups in the league though.

The Leafs gave up on average less than 2 goals per game against the Habs
Habs were lucky to get 2. To beat the AVs you need to shut them down because you cannot match their scoring. Saving goal is equal to scoring goals.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Wow, much like the Leafs, only the complete dusters show up on this message board during the playoffs. Bunch of truck selfie dude-bros praising STEVE f***ING SIMMONDS in here . Sounds like a bunch of Oilers fans...

I get that the boys didn't show up, lost to our rivals and embarrassed the Franchise but you don't have to do the same thing. This core is good. We saw it in the regular season, we've seen it in single games, the other pieces this year were hit or miss, Guys like Spezza and Kerfoot worked their tail off, guys like Thornton and Simmonds were invisible. I give zero thought to the bullshit "Bubble" playoffs, they were garbage, but this year they dropped the ball big time. They need one more shot at this, this has to light a fire under their asses otherwise heads roll. If Marner and Matthews disappear again, one is gone for sure. But damn, maybe I just knew it was over after game 6, but I think this is total overreaction to getting outworked by our rivals. (I hope, otherwise ya'll f***ing crazy)
I’m happy for you being happy that your team hasn’t won a playoff round in 15 years, guess I’m a pessimist?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Yup. It's always too late and reactionary. The organization isn't serious about winning, they want the optics to appear serious about winning. It's all about marketing the young "core" and generating the revenue, going through the motions, waiting and waiting for them to reach their potential and overpay along the way. Winning is not the priority.

I'm not saying blast the team to the media, but it's unreal how at this point Shanahan/Dubas/Keefe treat these players with kid's gloves.

I don't know why I listened to the presser today, thought maybe I would hear something different this time. These guys are smooth talking politicians who talk and talk but aren't saying anything. As someone else said, they're drinking their own koolaid.

It sounds like a leftist organization of coddling, political correctness and safe spaces...what can you do? They are owned by publicly traded companies.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
It’s pretty obvious this core isn’t being touched until:

A) They win
B) Shanahan/Dubas are fired

That’s pretty much it.
Whatever magic fairy dust they are looking for to instil killer instinct, ability to play without going into a coma, starting on time, dealing with playoff grind, etc. etc. remains a mystery to all. When the whodunnit of this mystery is right there in the half cap people.

I really hate having to out wait the obvious.

Sorry but you forgot one.

C) They bolt as UFA's

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
What f***ing adjustments did Keefe make.
Except distrusting the second line when folingo came in , which was a funny move .
Never separated Mathews and Marner , when it clearly wasn't working.
Am I missing anything?
Keefe was running scared like the players.

Don’t forget about his “adjustment” to bring in a hopelessly slow and soft rookie defenceman.

That catastrophic mistake in judgement cost them two losses in the series.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Am I the only one who takes issue with constantly having to look outside the organization for what should be in it?

For half the cap the majority should be there no?

Either Shanahan/Dubas don’t get it or they do get it but have painted themselves into a corner that they have to keep selling the miracle tonic.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Am I the only one who takes issue with constantly having to look outside the organization for what should be in it?

Either Shanahan/Dubas don’t get it or they do get it but have painted themselves into a corner that they have to keep selling the miracle tonic.

I take issue...look at Colorado's core...MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog and Makar...these players have both grit and talent...sadly, Dubas sounds like he's going down with the core 4. Something tells me they believe if Tavares wasn't hurt, the Leafs easily beat the Habs, but they can't make that excuse, but it's obviously an excuse if everything stays status quo.

Last edited:

Donnie740

May 28, 2021

President = new with ZERO experience
GM = new with ZERO experience
Coach = new with ZERO experience

WTF else do you expect other than a bumbling clown show?

It’s like putting three community college graduates in charge of a Fortune 500 company.

egd27

Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
No they aren't lol, the $$$ keeps coming in so they feel we are all thrilled and likely don't know what Hockey even is.

Don't kid yourself. The board members all have friends, family, and other business contacts that give them a hard time when the Leafs lose.

These are the types of folks that don't like being mocked and they aren't afraid to act if necessary

Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
my point is even you dunno what you’re talking about. It’s cool to play both sides of the fence when they lose tho cause you as well thought they’d win. ...

in fact you were 0/2 cause Pitt was incredibly wrong too.

get mad, just know you’re also no good at analyzing talent.
Didn’t you bet the Leafs wouldn’t lose to the Habs and the loser leaves this forum? I guess there were no takers?

Reactions: egd27

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
As far as I know, I don't think any reporters asked tough questions.
For AM and Marner, I don't see any questions like, "Why do you think you could not score or do you know what you need to do to improve and lead the Leafs to the 2nd round.....
For Dubas and Shanny, focus on 'Habs is the only team that ever advance to the 2nd round with 10mil plus player and thats mainly bc they beat another team with 10mil plus players, any comments on that? or Is the learning curve over?
Also what about being accountable. ZERO goals in 18 playoff games and you are earning close to 11mil.
Or

See that's the problem with the media...anyone except for Steve Simmons is their friend and they don't want to piss them off and lose some access to the team. Just ask a tough question once in a while...remember when Simmons asked Babs why he played Marleau so much in the game 7 and Babs had a fit and walked away? Pepperidge Farm remembers...

If nobody is going to be truly critical of these guys and they get covered by soft ball questions it won't change. They are going to go down with the ship on this...trust me. They won't even fire Manny the Genius after going 50% of the season with a horrific PP. How in the world can you expect accountability from your players when they won't ask for it from the staff?

egd27

Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Good call.
The ultimate we believe in the core, see ya UFA.
Thanks for the quick 5 to free agent Kyle! You’re the best!

Gonna take a lot to convince me that Matthews doesn't bolt for some southwest destination at the earliest opportunity. And we all know Willy's dad thinks loyalty is for suckers. I see him with the Rangers or Bruins.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
See that's the problem with the media...anyone except for Steve Simmons is their friend and they don't want to piss them off and lose some access to the team. Just ask a tough question once in a while...remember when Simmons asked Babs why he played Marleau so much in the game 7 and Babs had a fit and walked away? Pepperidge Farm remembers...

If nobody is going to be truly critical of these guys and they get covered by soft ball questions it won't change. They are going to go down with the ship on this...trust me. They won't even fire Manny the Genius after going 50% of the season with a horrific PP. How in the world can you expect accountability from your players when they won't ask for it from the staff?
It's a weird world we live in when people are wanting more Simmons

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I liked him better when he had to answer to Lou Lam :D

Dubas is so much easier to control.
Of course sire. Our getting rid of the Lou... was our biggest mistake right there. I didn't like at all. Was surprised even. That old vet dinosaur still twerkin his thang and moving thangs and doing thangs. Hard. Look where he at right now... IN THE PLAYOFFS. Again. Long mile. and Road. :clap:

We needed that sucka mo than he needed us. Definitely.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
upload_2021-6-2_20-59-30.jpeg

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
President = new with ZERO experience
GM = new with ZERO experience
Coach = new with ZERO experience

WTF else do you expect other than a bumbling clown show?

It’s like putting three community college graduates in charge of a Fortune 500 company.
Ain't a better post and REALITY check that right thurr milord. Look at that post. And there it lies. The Trisuth.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Don't kid yourself. The board members all have friends, family, and other business contacts that give them a hard time when the Leafs lose.

These are the types of folks that don't like being mocked and they aren't afraid to act if necessary
Board members don't get spooked by angry message board fans :laugh:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think he is a class A prick...and that is who you want asking tough questions. Would anyone prefer Chris Johnston asking if Marner likes ice cream sundaes?
I don't particularly care to be honest.

I don't think the media has ever pushed us into good decisions with their questions. I have seen them push us into bad ones like the return of Clark

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Didn't watch the whole thing because I actually don't care. Going by the few clips and quotes I read (disclaimer - limited info), I am concerned that:
  • They are of the opinion that the problem is solely with the bottom 6;
  • That they're unwilling to move a core member if it makes sense;
  • The uncertainty around Jason Spezza and Zach Hyman.
Will wait for the off-season, but I have now entered passive fan-mode status (i.e., watch a few regular season games; maybe most of the first round if they get there).

After making this decision, you know what? I feel absolutely liberated.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Not really sure how they're gonna make a deep team with 3 guys making 11 mill with a flat cap for the foreseeable future.

They're gonna have to nail some cheap FA signings, which they didnt do last offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad