Shanahan Post Season Presser

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
be realistic...
if that were the case, there would be more people squawking about how we dont have enough to get over the hump, or, we're good, but not good enough etc
they would call us the Buffalo Bills of hockey, make the finals a few times every time until your team cant compete any more. ...that what i'd expect to hear.
Baby steps. Let's just win a single round while the cap is in effect. Dubas and his fan club can't even give us that.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What happens if we are back here next year?
Specifically for the people who don’t want the core touched.
Because after last year, we already are back here next year.

I mean is this the way we are just going to carry forward?

What you get is the chance to reconfigure the team to try and find success with some of the highest skilled players to be on the Leafs in recent memory. That to me seems like a potentially more logical option than blowing it up and hoping for the best.

You could flip your question around and ask in the grand scheme of things what advantage is there to start another rebuild this off-season vs next? The core will all still be under contract next off-season, ect Because once you start moving those guys out there's no guaranteed successful path ahead. Just look at a team like the Sabres, such in perpetual rebuild mode. Before I want the team to risk heading down that path I'd absolutely want them to exhaust the other means/options first.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I won't do Boston I promise, as its too depressing when compared to ours as well. :)
No need it would be depressing.

Watch the Boston/NY, Tampa/Carolina series and then look at our core.

Then tell me where you think they are heading.

Then laugh or cry. Your choice.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
It’s the contracts.

If they were paid like MacKinnon, Point, Barzal etc, the question would be how to support them.

...unfortunate that their own greed and Dubas’ foolishness in signing the deals thats completely changing the conversation.
Its valid to say that we could've built a stronger team around the core if they had lower cap hits but these comparable you posted aren't the same. Point and Barzal's are only 3 yr deals that don't buy up UFA yrs. Mack signed his contract after a season where he was only on pace for 59 pts. Then he blew up for 97 pts the following year. If we're to compare their contracts it needs to be with guys who have similar term and production at the time of signing like Aho and Rantanen.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Its valid to say that we could've built a stronger team around the core if they had lower cap hits but these comparable you posted aren't the same. Point and Barzal's are only 3 yr deals that don't buy up UFA yrs. Mack signed his contract after a season where he was only on pace for 59 pts. Then he blew up for 97 pts the following year. If we're to compare their contracts it needs to be with guys who have similar term and production at the time of signing like Aho and Rantanen.
I guess I put more value in keeping the team together. Bridging could have saved players like Connor Brown that they shouldn’t have had to move on from so soon.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
"good" message by shanahan and dubas (evidently both staying LOL) to the rest of the world: " We won't change the core. We love our core." Keefe staying. Gotta play with killer instict. Wich we don't have LOL. But we still keeping all of our key players :biglaugh:

To me, that's very poor. Not liking that. We need thugs, even mo thugs family. But some of our core players would need to be changed, to other great players. Period. We have proof now from so many years already.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
"good" message by shanahan and dubas (evidently both staying LOL) to the rest of the world: " We won't change the core. We love our core." Keefe staying. Gotta play with killer instict. Wich we don't have LOL. But we still keeping all of our key players :biglaugh:

To me, that's very poor. Not liking that. We need thugs, even mo thugs family. But some of our core players would need to be changed, to other great players. Period. We have proof now from so many years already.
Shanny actually used the word We want to keep them instead of we are keeping them. Lets hope they get it done

Reactions: Coachcorner

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Shanahan came off pretty badly in this interview. Probably should have said something like nothing is off the table, we are always looking to improve. It's not so much the stability message is wrong, but like the players on the ice, it would be more appropriate to read the situation better. Also, when has it ever been standard hockey practice that a management team will have the back of its core players so unconditionally? What does it say for the few players who are getting the money and not getting it done to have so much security, and what does it say to the remaining players going through the revolving door?

Also, what unicorn player are you going to get at a cost effective price point who will be able to challenge the core players and bring a killer instinct?

Feb 24, 2004
It’s annoying to talk contracts, cause they don’t matter. Even best case scenario is that all of our contracts are a bit of a better bargain (Matthews, Marner a mil or so less each, same with JT and Willy) and that’s only 4-5 mil total. That’s not dramatically changing the team.

The issue is Matthews and Marner are losers who lose, and I simply don’t see that changing. All we can hope for is one year they fluke their way to a 1st Round win and they ride a random heater afterwards. Outside of that this team is not close to winning a thing.

This is so accurate. It's not like there was some fantastic player we missed out on because Marner is 10.8 instead of 9.9.

Feb 24, 2004
well reading some takes here he hired A GM that only listens to the fans and media to make decisions on players he signs... so maybe its true:sarcasm:

To me, this is the most fair criticism of Dubas and the FO.

They had a strategy. A good one. Get skilled players who can make offense happen, get D who can move the puck.

They deviated from that because Joe in the bridge and some old GMs were saying they needed grit, sandpaper and magic beans. Voila, you end up with a bunch of guys who can't play hockey.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
To me, this is the most fair criticism of Dubas and the FO.

They had a strategy. A good one. Get skilled players who can make offense happen, get D who can move the puck.

They deviated from that because Joe in the bridge and some old GMs were saying they needed grit, sandpaper and magic beans. Voila, you end up with a bunch of guys who can't play hockey.
so listening to the fans, and old GM's means he deviated from his vision.... not a way to be successful if you dont trust your own vision.... should be replaced if that is true

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Dude Tampa is the clear cut best team in the NHL

They've slapped Boston in 2018 and 2020. Boston can't hang with Tampa atleast in the past. Maybe that changes this year.

With a series with Tampa I expect we lose in 5 games with Boston probably 7 again. As great as Boston is they don't have the top end or overall depth that Tampa has

If you look at recent history we are something like 6-6 vs Tampa over the last 3 or 4 years, Tampa Bay Lightning vs Toronto Maple Leafs

They have a former Veznia and scoring champ, hell of a team but they line up better than a team like Montreal that likes to ground and pound. TB likes to play a game similar to ours, that means there will be open ice for guys like Willie, Mitch and AM.

I would challenge the clear cut best team. if you compare stats/advance stats, Colorado is probably #1. Tampa / Colorado SCF would be fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Did Shanahan just say that none of the big 4 are going anywhere?

He's not doing himself any favors. LMFAO.
I think he's just saving himself from a media shit show if he were to come out and say we are looking to move one of the big 4.
Wouldn't be the first time something was said and the opposite was done.
But I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see no big changes and next year will basically be the same story.
Actually that's if we make the playoffs. seems the East if going back to normal has some much improved teams. feels like a battle for a wildcard spot

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I think he's just saving himself from a media shit show if he were to come out and say we are looking to move one of the big 4.
Wouldn't be the first time something was said and the opposite was done.
But I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see no big changes and next year will basically be the same story.
Actually that's if we make the playoffs. seems the East if going back to normal has some much improved teams. feels like a battle for a wildcard spot
That’s perfect.
We seriously need a very hard time making the playoffs. It can either only do us good or expose us even more.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
the fact that they are doubling down on not trading marner should truly concern every leafs fan; hes not after 5 years suddenly going to start having a great shot and using it or getting braver....

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

forecheck

May 14, 2007
Its hard for me to believe the audacity for Shanahan to sit their and defiantly say that there will be NO CHANGES!

Is it not on management to do everything it takes to improve the team in any way to achieve the Prize? This would include leaving no rock unturned and which would include changing the core players. who have proven they cant perform when it matters most.

If I am running this team ( Board of Directors ) …. This would be the end of Mr Shanahan and whoever comes in can decide what's next for the GM-Coach - Players etc.

Last edited:

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
Already debunked before, the caps didn't trade anyone from their immediate core. They let Semin and Mike Green walk to UFA. They had Kuznetsov, Carlson and Orlov ready to step in.

Boston also drafted really well and had PEOPLE READY TO STEP IN so they could AFFORD to make those moves. Same thing with the Capitals theory I debunked earlier. It's easy to move on from players when you have guys who can step in and provide what the player you want to move does or better.

Seguin was an easy move for Boston, they had Pastrnak who they believed in. Thornton was easy to move, they had Savard and Kessel ready to step in. It softens the blow if you flub the trade if you decide to move on. Who does Toronto have that's going to hopefully going to be of the same Calibre of Marner should they decide to move on. Robertson maybe?

ever heard of a trade?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Also, what unicorn player are you going to get at a cost effective price point who will be able to challenge the core players and bring a killer instinct?

I think you have to get more dirty scorers, guys that thrive in the slot and crease, guys who crash the crease and make horrible for defencmen and goalies. We had 2 guys in Hyman and Foligno, that do that job but clearly they were not close to being 100%. We need to get smarter in the way we teach our skilled players how to play. They had a great example on yesterdays Bos vs NYI game, how when Bos is on a 3 on 2, the middle guy goes to the net, the puck carrier picks up the winger and cross crease pass. When the middle guy goes to the net he usually brings both defenders to the net, which in turn creates chaos and screens the goalie. I get to see a lot of Boston content because of where I live, every major network for me is a Boston feed, including NESN. I can confidently say they have been using this play for at least 4 years, probably more. I remember one Leaf game this year , how Toronto did a similar thing and the announcer were waxing poetically about wow what a smart play, and I was thinking J.C. Boston does that at least 5 times a game for the last 4 years. there was nothing special about it.

It's case of having a team that is a Swiss Army Knife, they are comfortable in any situation, I think the thought of having vets in the bottom six made sense but they may want to be a bit more selective in thinking about what that vet bring son ice, he needs to bring more than them old timey stories, about back in my day...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad