Shanahan Post Season Presser

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
you're acting like signing Seth Jones is a guarantee. It's not, you are gambling. The Raptors made that gamble with Giannis and missed horribly. Now they are tasked with not having a team that was nearly as good as it was 2 years ago. I'd hate to see the leafs make that same mistake. You focus on the here and now. That is why I don't believe any management team would make a drastic move like what many people are suggesting. I think they will explore options to move one of the guys if there is a 2-1 deal that makes sense or they can drop some cap without drastically losing what Marner/Nylander/Tavares brings then they will make that move.
Yeah, they probably lost Gasol and Ibaka trying to plan for the future, but they already won at that point.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If we trade Marner, a 90 point forward, for Jones, a 45 point defenseman, there better be something else substantial coming back along with Jones.

Jones hasn't been good. I'd agree... it better be a substantial add for this to go down. The challenge being, they really don't have much that I'd want. Their first for 2021? Foudy?

E207i8JVoAAnd9p

E21CHZpUcAM0mJr

Reactions: socko

myleafs

May 25, 2021
No team has won with 4 forwards making half CAP .. it is really that simple .. playoffs are won with tending and defense .. Dubieanalytics are way way off folks
Our D was good enough even with the mistakes and our Goalie was great for the most part.....we couldnt score when we needed it, thats on the big boys.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I already posted earlier how irrelevant the salaries signed before Marner/Matthews is, because, Market value in 2016 is not the same as 2018/2019

How can salaries/AAV be irrelevant when were talking Cup competitiveness and Leafs high spending problem?

This is what it really looks like TB top 4 vs Leafs top 4 and this years playoff stats & Goalie.

TB
Kucherov....8 games 3-9-12 points.
Hedman ....8 games 0-10-10 points
Stamkos.... 8 games 3-6-9 points
Point............ 8 games 5-2-7 points

Total Cap = $32.6 mil ..... Total Points = 11 goals 27 assists 38 points
+ Goalie Vasilievski @ $9.5 mil
Total Cap (Top 4 players + 1 G) = $42.15 mil

VS

Leafs
Nylander ...... 7 games 5-3-8 points
Matthews .....7 games 1-4-5 points
Marner .......... 7 games 0-4-4 points
Tavares ..........1 game 0-0-0 points (injured)

Total Cap = $ 40.5 mil .. Total Points = 6 goals 11 assists 17 points
+ Goalie Jack Campbell @ 1.65 mil

When TB and Leafs are in the same Division next year again and have to play each other head to head these Cap hits wont change so they're not irrelevant for either team, and I guarantee you Shanahan's "killer instinct" all that missing ain't going to fix that either.

TB has a Vezina Goalie + Norris Dman and 3 elite scoring forwards for the same cap usage as Leafs 4 with Campbell.. If this were a playoff series I know were I would put my safe money bet. :wg:

PS. I'm sure Shanny, Dubas and Keefe are hoping the Leafs don't have to face these TB Lightning in round #1 to prove their cap spending top 4 Forward point next year, or I think they will be all fired shortly after this series ends. :)

Last edited:

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
People used to talk about drinking the kool-aid during the Burke era, this is a new level of kool-aid drinking I didn’t even think was possible. Dubie and shanny fans will go down with this sinking ship just to prove their precious analytics are right.
Not mentioning the Flavor-Aid drinkers who want the whole team torn down to the foundations so they have an excuse to whine about the team not being good enough to make the playoffs again?

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
very true but in our case we would be San Antonio acquiring DeRozan and giving up Marner (Leonard) to another team (the raptors). Marner would def be the best player in any deal you make for him.

Marner and leonard are not comparable in the slightest.

Leonard already had a clutch championship pedigree when the raps acquired him.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
But Jones is a guy who has hit 50 points once in his career. What we really need are difference makers in the playoffs. And while Eichel has not proven that, I feel he's just a higher level player than Jones.

I would be happy with the Eichel add just because the guy can score some goals. There is a bit of telegraphing with Marner and Matthews because they know Mitch probably won't shoot, and likely won't score when he does. Mitch led all Leaf forwards in pp ice time this year and had zero goals. Willie beside AM and Eichel beside Tavares do not have that problem so even though its still a "big 4" the goals are spread out. Trapper does have a point about the injuries though as Eichel has missed more games than Marner by quite a bit so they would need to more certain about what they were getting than with Foligno. I could live with Eichel or with a lesser player and a nice chunk of cap space.

Reactions: socko

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
If we trade Marner, a 90 point forward, for Jones, a 45 point defenseman, there better be something else substantial coming back along with Jones.
The only extra that will be going is our first next year cause our gm will get ripped off as he usually does

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I would be happy with the Eichel add just because the guy can score some goals. There is a bit of telegraphing with Marner and Matthews because they know Mitch probably won't shoot, and likely won't score when he does. Mitch led all Leaf forwards in pp ice time this year and had zero goals. Willie beside AM and Eichel beside Tavares do not have that problem so even though its still a "big 4" the goals are spread out. Trapper does have a point about the injuries though as Eichel has missed more games than Marner by quite a bit so they would need to more certain about what they were getting than with Foligno. I could live with Eichel or with a lesser player and a nice chunk of cap space.
Eichel is no guarantee for sure, he's just a guy with a high ceiling. Marner's cap is way too high, but apparently the real money owed won't be that high after this summer, so he may be more attractive to teams that haven't maxed out their cap. I'm a little afraid of giving Dubas more cap room, it may just end up all in over-payments.

Last edited:

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
Eichel is no guarantee for sure, he's just a guy with a high ceiling. Marner's cap is way too high, but apparently the real money owed won't be that high after this summer, so he way be more attractive to teams that haven't maxed out their cap. I'm a little afraid of giving Dubas more cap room, it may just end up all in over-payments.
Don’t worry it will he really doesn’t know what he’s doing We’re going to allow him to have input at the draft again that should concern you too

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Our D was good enough even with the mistakes and our Goalie was great for the most part.....we couldnt score when we needed it, thats on the big boys.
Habs D and G were flat out better than our D and G .. stick to da facts .. goal scoring is highly limited in playoffs .. no surprises .. forwards who are bigger and faster can grind out wins over skilled soft guys every single time ...

Reactions: LeafsRus

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
What happens if we are back here next year?
Specifically for the people who don’t want the core touched.
Because after last year, we already are back here next year.

I mean is this the way we are just going to carry forward?

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Oh, so you're switching from the Raptors' perspective to the Spurs' perspective because my example invalidated your first assertion about the Raps gambling? Well that's certainly convenient for your argument.

Wow Leonard and Marner are polar opposites. Leonard could not give a rat's ass about the regular season and took a team that could not get it done to a championship. Marner is great when teams allow him to dance durng the regular season but when the real games start he fails. Hasn't hit a bucket in 18 playoff games.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
What happens if we are back here next year?
Specifically for the people who don’t want the cure touched.
Because after last year, we already are back here next year.

I mean is this the way we are just going to carry forward?

I thought if we lost, Dubas, Shammy and Keefe would get canned so there would be some positive out of a negative but it seems we are going to have to suck another year for the blind to see.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Habs D and G were flat out better than our D and G .. stick to da facts .. goal scoring is highly limited in playoffs .. no surprises .. forwards who are bigger and faster can grind out wins over skilled soft guys every single time ...
4 goals against after 4 games doesnt scream to me that the Habs G and D were flat out better as you put it. As far as goal scoring being highly limited, I am not seeing that in almost all the other series in this playoffs especially from the teams that you would expect to score which we thought we were one of. I will give you the last point though. Bottom line we kept goals against down to a point where we had a chance but the guys paid to score didnt.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I thought if we lost, Dubas, Shammy and Keefe would get canned so there would be some positive out of a negative but it seems we are going to have to suck another year for the blind to see.
Listening to Dubas/Shanahan and this core is like trying to run through a brick wall.

There are other ways around or over the wall but I’m just going to keep running at it.

Instead of moving something for a ladder.
It doesn’t look as cool as trying to run through it, but you can take the steps to get over.

Now another season we run at it again.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Listening to Dubas/Shanahan and this core is like trying to run through a brick wall.

There are other ways around or over the wall but I’m just going to keep running at it.

Instead of moving something for a ladder.
It doesn’t look as cool as trying to run through it, but you can take the steps to get over.

Now another season we run at it again.

:laugh::laugh:

That's hilarious, also sad at the same time. And run into that wall a few more times Dubas'll probably be concussed and won't even know what a ladder is anymore.

Reactions: Trapper

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I didn't listen to the pressers because I have better things to do and it's too vomit inducing. Did they say anything about the Foligno trade? Did they address that he missed games for the Blue Jackets right before he was traded? Did they ask Foligno about it? Was it a back injury like it appeared to be?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
How can salaries/AAV be irrelevant when were talking Cup competitiveness and Leafs high spending problem?

This is what it really looks like TB top 4 vs Leafs top 4 and this years playoff stats & Goalie.

TB
Kucherov....8 games 3-9-12 points.
Hedman ....8 games 0-10-10 points
Stamkos.... 8 games 3-6-9 points
Point............ 8 games 5-2-7 points

Total Cap = $32.6 mil ..... Total Points = 11 goals 27 assists 38 points
+ Goalie Vasilievski @ $9.5 mil

VS

Leafs
Nylander ...... 7 games 5-3-8 points
Matthews .....7 games 1-4-5 points
Marner .......... 7 games 0-4-4 points
Tavares ..........1 game 0-0-0 points (injured)

Total Cap = $ 40.5 mil .. Total Points = 6 goals 11 assists 17 points
+ Goalie Jack Campbell @ 1.65 mil

When TB and Leafs are in the same Division next year again and have to play each other head to head these Cap hits wont change so they're not irrelevant for either team, and I guarantee you Shanahan's "killer instinct" all that missing ain't going to fix that either.

TB has a Vezina Goalie + Norris Dman and 3 elite scoring forwards for the same cap usage as Leafs 4 with Campbell.. If this were a playoff series I know were I would put my safe money bet. :wg:

PS. I'm sure Shanny, Dubas and Keefe are hoping the Leafs don't have to face these TB Lightning in round #1 to prove their cap spending top 4 Forward point next year, or I think they will be all fired shortly after this series ends. :)

Teams like TB don't concern me one bit, it's teams like Boston that do.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Teams like TB don't concern me one bit, it's teams like Boston that do.
Dude Tampa is the clear cut best team in the NHL

They've slapped Boston in 2018 and 2020. Boston can't hang with Tampa atleast in the past. Maybe that changes this year.

With a series with Tampa I expect we lose in 5 games with Boston probably 7 again. As great as Boston is they don't have the top end or overall depth that Tampa has

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Dude Tampa is the clear cut best team in the NHL

They've slapped Boston in 2018 and 2020. Boston can't hang with Tampa atleast in the past. Maybe that changes this year.

With a series with Tampa I expect we lose in 5 games with Boston probably 7 again. As great as Boston is they don't have the top end or overall depth that Tampa has

We'll see. I don't see anyone stopping them until the final but at that point, COL will be a very tough out.

Reactions: sparxx87

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad