Sergei Bobrovsky is now a HHOF lock

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
You weight DPE 2.0 too heavily. All those guys couldn’t make the transition to high scoring games and are out of the game. Except Bobrovsky.
Another clueless post, they're out of the game because of age lol

Price was literally in the final a couple of years ago, out because of injuries
Vasi obviously still playing
Quick is 38 and playing as a back up
Lunqvist is 42
Rinne is 41
Rask is 37 and had some late career injuries
Fleury is 39 and playing as a backup
Luongo is 45
Helle obviously still playing

Here's another cool fact, they have all played in the McDavid era for 4+ years

Reactions: jetsforever

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Another clueless post, they're out of the game because of age lol

Price was literally in the final a couple of years ago, out because of injuries

The best ability is availability. I love how you use a whole post to prove what I’m saying… those players aren’t contemporaries because they aren’t of the era. They are retired players, relics of a DPE 2.0 that made a lot of goaltenders look good. And Bob still beat them out as best goalie in the world twice.
Congrats, you played yourself.

Craft Beer Lover

Nov 14, 2022
Mt Laurel, NJ
The Flyers, who have been searching for a franchise goaltender for 38 1/2 years (ever since Pelle Lindbergh wrapped his Porsche around a tree in Somerdale, NJ) actually had this guy in his youth, and traded him for essentially nothing. And their fans wonder why they haven’t won a Cup in 49 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: ViD

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Tim Thomas says hi. He even has a Smythe to go with his 2 Vezinas
I believe he still has time, no?

PenguinSuitedUP, should we be talking to you about MAF. Now there's goalie that deserves the HOF.
the save on Lindstrom alone to save the Cup.

No cups in the Vezina year, C*ckbl*cked
Fleury played behind 2 of the top 3 talents of his generation, and single save doesn’t get you into the HoF. Now he has a Vezina, 3 Cups, and Mike Vernon has been in the HoF. So he has a good case, but not as good as 2 Vezinas.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
I agree to disagree. winning the Cup is the most important event in any hockey players career.
Guys have won Vezina in years where their team has not been the best.
It all depends on how the "real" voter perceive a player.
Bob's lull in performance and how badly that lull was will be held against him by some. you can count on it.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
You have to be quite slow if you don’t think Bob is going to get in. Whether you agree with it or not. He’s a lock with 2 Vezinas.

Reactions: PenguinSuitedUp

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
I recall early in last year's playoffs trying to explain Sergei Bobrovsky to my old man:

"Remember Alexei Kovalev, how he was one of the most blatantly skilled finesse players of his era, but was wildly inconsistent and at times complacent?".

Bob genuinely is one of the single-most talented athletes at his position, all time. It's obvious that he had already proven everything in the regular season, and just couldn't get himself up until the games really mattered. At the very least, he's turned the narrative around for his later-career arc.

But I don't think back-to-back finals is enough to land him in the hall. Maybe if he steals the show in the next round and ends up being the MVP...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad-Marcus

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
You have to be quite slow if you don’t think Bob is going to get in. Whether you agree with it or not. He’s a lock with 2 Vezinas.
I'm not slow or obtuse, If you actual took the time to read every post in this thread, it's as of today he isn't in, not w/o a Cup. I actually said, in case your slow, that if he wins a Cup, he's probably in.
If he is the reason they don't win this year, as he has a as much history of letting the pressure get to him, as being successful, then he won't.
Hero or Goat time for Bob.
Funny how plenty of people here agree with the promise that "as it stands" he's not in, but if he wins a Cup yes"
But a few that need to scream from their lawn over and over without saying anything but to Vezina's
aren't really supporting their argument.
Team sport, Cup is a team win occasional the goalie has been the best player in the Finals(Thomas?), sometimes even when the team loses.(JS Giguerre).
His numbers other than playoff wins, have been pedestrian these last 2 year. No sub 2GAA or >.930SV%

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I'm not slow or obtuse, If you actual took the time to read every post in this thread, it's as of today he isn't in, not w/o a Cup.
People argued, frothing at the mouth that Hossa wasn't going to be a Hall of Famer because no individual awards and "team-hopping". Then it came around and he was inducted 1st Ballot without any fuss. People here are just bad at assessing Hall of Fame and think it's something it isn't which would lead to like 3 active players at a moment being in the Hall of Fame.

Bobrovsky has peak and longevity. He has 2 Vezinas, he is 14th all time in Wins, he has made the Stanley Cup Final twice. By all objective measures, he's had a Hall of Fame career. People have to make creative arguments for why he isn't like "The same Toronto media that claimed Tavares signed at a discount said Bobrovsky was the worst contract in NHL history! People agreed!"

Reactions: MOGlLNY

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
We'll see, I'm routing for him. If you follow the history of HOF in all sports, there are always argument for some players. A lot of guys get screwed over because they are not well liked. He needs a Cup to get in my opinion. If he wins one, absolutely in.
Especially with the team he is with now. You could make the argument about his CBS years. They burned him out, relied on him too much, et cetera. If he can't win with this team, it will cast doubt.
That being said, FLA "should beat" whoever they play.
I don't need anyone to agree with me to have conviction with my opinion, even though, others in this thread concur.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
No salt, just reality. You Panther fans have a great team, it's disrespectful to what they've accomplished to believe he's the reason you've become so successful. His stats don't scream HOF.
You folks beat the crap out of everyone you play. Out shoot teams ~ 2:1.
It's way more than him.
Put him on a team where he is consistently out shot 2:1 and he would not be a top 5 goalie.
His career in both CBS and FLA(the start) say otherwise.
That being said he has a great chance to get his name on the Cup this year.
But last year they were flukin’ fakes that rode Bob to any chance at anything.
(paraphrased)

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
his biggest issue he’ll face is that until last year’s run, he was one of the worst playoff goalies in NHL history.

Up until the Tampa series in 2018-19, his playoff record was 5-15 with an .891 save percentage, with no shutouts, and he allowed three goals or more in every playoff game to that point except two (both of which were losses).

That’s what makes his career extremely unusual, and I would argue not a surefire case. He would likely have the worst playoff resume of any HHOF goalie, which is massively detrimental.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
I think he's a very good goalie, his teams success this year is a team success, period.
FLA is out shooting teams 2:1 and he is stopping most of the random breakaways.
Shoot high blocker if it can get through and he's in trouble. Always has been his Achilles Heel.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
The weird thing about Bobrovsky is he has random pretty bad seasons mixed in among his amazing seasons.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I'm not slow or obtuse, If you actual took the time to read every post in this thread, it's as of today he isn't in, not w/o a Cup. I actually said, in case your slow, that if he wins a Cup, he's probably in.
If he is the reason they don't win this year, as he has a as much history of letting the pressure get to him, as being successful, then he won't.
Hero or Goat time for Bob.
Funny how plenty of people here agree with the promise that "as it stands" he's not in, but if he wins a Cup yes"
But a few that need to scream from their lawn over and over without saying anything but to Vezina's
aren't really supporting their argument.
Team sport, Cup is a team win occasional the goalie has been the best player in the Finals(Thomas?), sometimes even when the team loses.(JS Giguerre).
His numbers other than playoff wins, have been pedestrian these last 2 year. No sub 2GAA or >.930SV%
You're entitled to your wrong opinion.

Reactions: PenguinSuitedUp

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
He was already a lock when he was part of two of the greatest upsets in NHL history (+ the 2 Vezinas). The 2 cup finals are just the icing on the cake

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
The thing with Bob is that he's been very inconsistent. Sure, he has his Vezinas and great playoffs the last couple of seasons, but people seem to forget those seasons where he was among the worst playoff goalies in the league.

However, we live in a time when just about everyone gets into the hall, so he's probably a lock. I'd like to see him win a cup first, but that's just me.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I know two Vezina trophies looks really good on paper but my opinion is that HOF players don't put up multiple horrible seasons in a row in the middle of their prime and eventually get benched.

There was a time where Florida wouldn't have been able to give Bob away for free because of how bad he was relative to his contract. I feel like that should never be the case for a HOF player.

• Love

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
I know two Vezina trophies looks really good on paper but my opinion is that HOF players don't put up multiple horrible seasons in a row in the middle of their prime and eventually get benched.

There was a time where Florida wouldn't have been able to give Bob away for free because of how bad he was relative to his contract. I feel like that should never be the case for a HOF player.
Well said. Lundquist's worst season is better than Bob average one. He has no cups and is going in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad