Sergei Bobrovsky is now a HHOF lock

JimXVX

Jan 3, 2017
Haven’t read through the whole thread so this point may well have been made already, but it’s remarkable how the discourse over Bob has changed in recent history. Just over a year ago he was a washed up bum with arguably the worst contract in the entire league, now he’s discussed as a potential HOFer.

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
Haven’t read through the whole thread so this point may well have been made already, but it’s remarkable how the discourse over Bob has changed in recent history. Just over a year ago he was a washed up bum with arguably the worst contract in the entire league, now he’s discussed as a potential HOFer.
That's your average hockey fan. They're fickle and will change their minds once a day.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
so some could say he is a system goalie, whose performance in FLA got better as the team did.
I'm not hacking on him, i just don't think his career has been consistent enough to warrant the HHOF.
I certainly don't expect him to win the Conn Smythe, this year.

I think his relative inconsistency has more to do with his playstyle. At his best he's a really active/aggressive goalie who's super zoned in, but when he's not at his best he tends to either outplay and get out of position or is not active enough and doesn't have the positional play at the level of someone like Hellebuyck, where he can just sit there and have pucks hit him.

Reactions: Mad-Marcus

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
It’s amazing what happens when a team starts playing better defense in front of the goalie.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
It’s amazing what happens when a team starts playing better defense in front of the goalie.
You could say that for most goalies, put Soros(NSH) on any top 10 ten team.

My problem with Bob is when given cleans shots, he gets beat high stick side. That's the book on him.
Now he has a defense that clogs the slot and doesn't really allow it.
His breakaway game to great, he has great pad control, that stick side high. Not a big deal, but if he is going to be soft it's there.
Very good goalie when he's locked in.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
You could say that for most goalies, put Soros(NSH) on any top 10 ten team.

My problem with Bob is when given cleans shots, he gets beat high stick side. That's the book on him.
Now he has a defense that clogs the slot and doesn't really allow it.
His breakaway game to great, he has great pad control, that stick side high. Not a big deal, but if he is going to be soft it's there.
Very good goalie when he's locked in.
Especially in close, he takes away the bottom but leaves that open.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Modern Goalie dilemma. That's why the balance of size vs speed. After 6'3"-6'4", you're looking for a unicorn of size and speed.
For any of you goalie geeks like me. (former Beer League all star:D). this is a great article of the evolution of playing the posts. It kind of explains why goals like Mason Lorhei's short side goal against Bob happened.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
I'm not "plucking" a random season, those guys were elite for consecutive years, they never had 4 dog shit seasons in a row like Bob. His last 2 seasons don't magically erase the 4 garbage ones that came before that.

Claiming he's the 2nd best goalie in the last 10 years is laughable

In the last 10 years, these guys played and were better than Bob

Price
Vasi
Quick
Rinne
Lundqvist
Rask
Helle

Fleury
Luongo

The first 7 of those guys are not even debatable, I'd be willing to have a conversation potentially for Bob over Luongo or Fleury in the last 10 years, even then it's a maybe. But the first 7, it's not even close.
His 2021-2022 season was not dog shit.

Carey price is actually a good comparison. His career completely fell off the 2ndnhalf just like bobs did andnhe largly was a mediocre goalie after the start of his career.

Vasilevskiy us several years younger but looks like he could be on bobs career path as his play slip a little 2-3 seasons ago and now especially this season. The 2nd half of his career might end up looking just like bobs.

Bob was pretty elite his entire columbus career.

All those guys you listed had less vezinas or none at all. Bob fell off the in florida but still had a great career. He also was a much more elite goalie in his career than fleury who everyone says will get in.

Musampa

Aug 3, 2015
If he has a bad Final fully expect a thread “Bob has the worst contract in the league” again.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
How many Cups and Vezinas does Lundkvist have?

there is ONE stat and only ONE stat that Bob needs to get to Lundkvist.

Lund winsv 458
Bobs Wins 396

Josephy at 454 wins is not in the hall

Tim Thomas has TWO vezinas and one conn smythe and is not in the hall. BoB has two Vezinas and no Con smythe

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
there is ONE stat and only ONE stat that Bob needs to get to Lundkvist.

Lund winsv 458
Bobs Wins 396

Josephy at 454 wins is not in the hall
You just massively contradicted yourself.

Tim Thomas has TWO vezinas and one conn smythe and is not in the hall. BoB has two Vezinas and no Con smythe
It's a matter of time before Thomas's antiques are forgotten. He will be in the Hall one day.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
He's adding to his resume. Would be the Conn Smythe winner if the Panthers win I would think. Right now it is McDavid and possibly Draisaitl on the Oilers side (maybe Bouchard?) as the potential Smythe winners. But I think it is Bob on the Panthers. It isn't like he had a bad resume before last season. If the Panthers got bounced first round last year and he retired, we'd still be at least bringing his name up in the future. But two straight trips to the final with the potential to win one? Yeah, that elevates him immensely.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Vasi is fantastic but he didnt carry Tampa anywhere lol

Tampa is the best team of the cap era
Whoa I really would not say that. Had they played Colorado/Vegas in 2020 & 21 instead of some patsies they likely would have zero cups.

TB did have a bunch of good players though.

• Haha
Reactions: Sentinel

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
He's 100% going in

I was a doubter before this year, but yeah, I am absolutly convinced after this season

Getting the Stanley Cup would just be icing on the cake, but even without it, he's going in

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
He's adding to his resume. Would be the Conn Smythe winner if the Panthers win I would think. Right now it is McDavid and possibly Draisaitl on the Oilers side (maybe Bouchard?) as the potential Smythe winners. But I think it is Bob on the Panthers. It isn't like he had a bad resume before last season. If the Panthers got bounced first round last year and he retired, we'd still be at least bringing his name up in the future. But two straight trips to the final with the potential to win one? Yeah, that elevates him immensely.
It's pretty open on the Panthers side. It could be Barkov, Tkachuk, or Forsling also. It depends on this series.

Reactions: Ratsreign

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Whoa I really would not say that. Had they played Colorado/Vegas in 2020 & 21 instead of some patsies they likely would have zero cups.

TB did have a bunch of good players though.

Tampa had the best offense/defense/goaltending for a few years straight. 3 straight finals. I definitely have them as the best team of the cap era in that stretch, above any of Pittsburgh or Chicago's best or anyone elses.

I also don't really get your reaction. Like it's fine if you disagree, but you seem almost shocked by my comment. Even if you don't have Tampa outright #1, they definitely have a very strong case so I don't really get the reaction.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
I’m a big Luongo booster, but comparing him and Bobrovsky is so dumb. They aren’t the same generation - they played their first games like a dozen years apart.

And people who think a guy with 2 Vezinas, an additional Vezina nom, and who could sleepwalk his way to top 10 wins alltime isn’t a lock are… not super thoughtful on this topic. (Not that I think wins is a great metric personally).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad