Senators fire Pierre Dorion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

glee-burn-baby-burn.gif

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
They do, but so should the NHL since theyre the ones brokering the deal and doing the investigation. They are all over the tranascation themselves, they can't plead ignorance.

All of this stuff kind of just calls into question what is the actual point of having a head office..so they sign off trade calls but don't apparently maintain a list of NTC, that's on the teams to inform each other. Lmao okay. They find prospective buyers and need to approve of any corporate transactions, but don't need to disclose any investigations theyre doing on the team itself, that's on the seller (their current franchisee). Lmao okay.

Like seriously, they are a franchisor. They don't just get to cop themselves out of all liability between their franchisees, otherwise defund them, cut Bettman back to 4M a year, and run a small team for player safety.

NHL looks like it fumbled the bag hard on this, especially that something so simple took 18 months to investigate, which was of course neatly timed to not blow up the sale of the team.
Why even keep Bettman? Take the opportunity to replace him with someone who won't completely disgrace the sport and will hold the corrupt DOPS and officials accountable.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Makes sense. The failure to upgrade their coaching, the Pinto Situation, and now losing the draft pick make it real tough to keep a GM who has made the playoffs once in 7 years.

That roster was thanks to Bryan Murray too, so Pierre hadn't made the playoffs with "his team" quite yet.

Apparently you can do a bunch of shit against the rules and then sell the team and the new buyer doesn't have to suffer any of the consequences? :laugh:

I guess the owner is trying to whine as hard as the fans.

They can always go after Melnyks ghost :sarcasm:

Andlauer is upset at the league

Sorry but just because these things happened under previous ownership doesn't mean you escape punishment.

I mean technically could he have not gone through back channels? hes been a part owner of the Habs for years, he must know someone somewhere thats connected to the comings and goings.

Regardless, he shouldn't be surprised. NHL knew he was their best option for a Sens owner and wasn't going to risk losing the sale.

Reactions: BCNate

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Sorry but just because these things happened under previous ownership doesn't mean you escape punishment.

I mean technically could he have not gone through back channels? hes been a part owner of the Habs for years, he must know someone somewhere thats connected to the comings and goings.

Regardless, he shouldn't be surprised. NHL knew he was their best option for a Sens owner and wasn't going to risk losing the sale.

These are absolutely things the league should be disclosing to potential buyers

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I like that when Andlauer was talking about Pinto and the pressures and temptations a 21 year old with money faces, he briefly mentioned Wayne Gretzky and MGM ads.

I find that what a terrible person Wayne Gretzky is doesn't get mentioned enough in hockey forums.

Greedy and selfish enough that he partakes in convincing young people to develop gambling addictions. As if he doesn't have enough money already. Pure sociopathic behaviour. I give guys like Matthews and McDavid a break as they are young, probably enjoy gambling themselves, and are naive about the societal implications.

Gretzky is also a raging MAGA. I don't even consider him Canadian anymore. Just a terrible selfish me me me person.

First of all, whoever Gretzky supports politcally shouldn't be held against him. If he leans right then so be it.

Bolded - jeez what a stretch. He isn't convincing anyone to gamble. I also dont think he has the impression on young people as he did before (i.e. any hockey fan will acknowledge him s the GOAT but at this point he doesn't have the same aura around him for young people, they never saw his greatness live and grew up watching Sid/Ovy play)

These are absolutely things the league should be disclosing to potential buyers

I agree. But obviously they arent legally obligated too so I can see why Bettman, Daly and the rest wouldnt mention it.

These are the same guys who approved John Spanos as an owner based off a fabricated fax saying he had money.

Due diligence,
The owner was aware of the Dadonov Saga, maybe not Pinto's.

Julien said on the french radio that he is open to come back as HC (or other jobs). But he will not rush anything.

Ottawa would be a perfect destination as he lives nearby.

They are also not far off from the Bruins team he took over. Good young core ready to try and be a cup contender.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Let’s not act like the NHL doesn’t have liability here. They knew full well disclosing two ongoing investigations would prevent a sale or hinder the top dollar coming forward, therefore hurting value of all franchises. They can’t point fingers at the franchise without taking responsibility

NHL aren't pointing any fingers. It's just that Andlauer for reasons unknown chose to point the finger in the wrong direction, at the NHL. The primary beneficiary of the sale and of the higher price is the previous owner. The primary responsibility to disclose anything related to the sale lies with the seller, i.e. the previous owner. The previous owners should be in the spotlight and carry the responsibility for lack of disclosure, until and if they manage to show it should be someone else.

Isn't it funny that the whole issue is over lack of disclosure of being subject of investigation. The investigation and the penalty was in relation to is, wait for it, lack of disclosure. It's like there is a pattern here or something.

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
Oh okay. 650.

Less than the Sens. The point stands. Unless the last expansion team was sold for more than the Sens, it would have been better to wait.

Didn’t he have to pay down millions in debt? Did the NHL withhold that from him too?
That price was negotiated in 2018.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Honestly if I was a Senators fan, I'd be really excited from the words of Andlauer because he seems to genuinely care about the team and wants it to be better. He's totally right that it was completely bush league that the NHL didn't disclose either of these at the time of the sale.

I'm waiting for him to appeal the league's decision and call them hypocrites and and point out all the shitty rulings the NHL has made and ask them to explain themselves publicly.

The NHL needs to own up to their BS.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm waiting for him to appeal the league's decision and call them hypocrites and and point out all the shitty rulings the NHL has made and ask them to explain themselves publicly.

The NHL needs to own up to their BS.

He said an appeal would be futile, a subtle dig at Gary. A lot of the press conference was calling out their hypocrisy, be it negligence or gambling.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
DJ Smith is probably next. The Melnyk regime was probably the most incompetent in recent history. Dorion was gonna have to eat the sin of it probably no matter what. Like I'm not sure even Dadanov was all his fault. Good luck to him

Yeah, they ran absolutely lean.

More likely you get admin errors like this.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
He said an appeal would be futile, a subtle dig at Gary. A lot of the press conference was calling out their hypocrisy, be it negligence or gambling.

Haha ok I was at work during the conference but I will check it out within minutes. Can't wait.

I hope media presses the NHL for answers.

Reactions: Korpse

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Not a Sens fan but man did he make some questionable trades.

I've never understood how most of the Canadian teams have had horrible GM's for quite a while.
I'm sure Gary the pipsqueak is tickled pink about it though.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It’s just the right time. It’s not like the Sens had recent on ice success anyway. Throw in a couple screw-ups right at the ownership handoff, and it’s easy to just go with a clean slate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad