Senators fire Pierre Dorion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I feel like I should apply. My whole premise will be "hey look, I have pretty accurate viewpoints on good and bad signings and trades on HFB. I promise you, I won't be as bad as Dorion. GM'ing is quite easy. I swear. I'll even do at a price that will make you blush and gush"

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
With Bettman being a lawyer himself, I'm sure between him and league lawyers / consults they probably looked into ways how they can proceed with the sale without having to legally disclose the investigations. Maybe they had some loopholes, maybe not.

At worst for the NHL Andlauer has some merit for legal action / restitution, since he can easily make the argument that he would have offered less for the sale had he known of the investigations. Best case scenario for the NHL/Bettman is for whatever reason they werent legally required to let the buyer know, but it sure still looks bad on them, and for any future team sales.

It's real convenient that the investigations and punishments were handed out not long after the completion of the sale.

That would go into the argument of what a first round pick is worth. Had he known they would be losing a future first does that knock a million off the sale price? Theres no tangible monetary value to an NHL first round pick.

Bettman and Daly are lawyers by trade so I reckon they knew they'd get away with this legally speaking. They could also argue that informing him of the penalty would compromise the investigation which was not yet completed.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
giphy.gif

alaney2k

Nov 2, 2023
First off - glad Dorion's gone. But really, where's the responsibility for the NHL? The league and the NHLPA must have had Dadonov's contract on file. Unless they show some evidence otherwise, it's just more dirty dealing by the league. And only a month after an owner shows up with $1B to buy the team. Bush league. I could have seen the Sens give up a pick to Vegas as compensation. One more reason, after the Olympics, pride jerseys and on and on, why the NHL doesn't deserve fan support. Grrr.

Last edited:

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I feel like I should apply. My whole premise will be "hey look, I have pretty accurate viewpoints on good and bad signings and trades on HFB. I promise you, I won't be as bad as Dorion. GM'ing is quite easy. I swear. I'll even do at a price that will make you blush and gush"
You do have a lot of likes. I'd vote you in if I could.

Reactions: SEALBound

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
That would go into the argument of what a first round pick is worth. Had he known they would be losing a future first does that knock a million off the sale price? Theres no tangible monetary value to an NHL first round pick.

Bettman and Daly are lawyers by trade so I reckon they knew they'd get away with this legally speaking. They could also argue that informing him of the penalty would compromise the investigation which was not yet completed.
@mouser says a first is worth 5 million, maybe it was 10, don’t recall how the number was generated, but it wasn’t 1.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Good riddance. One of the stupidest GM’s of the last decade.

The guys that were worse didn’t get nearly this much time and some of the ones that weren’t this bad also didn’t get as much time.

It can’t be stated enough how much of an imbecile this guy was. Many times it felt he was just a puppet and figurehead for Melnyk.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I didn't think he was too bad personally. I like the present Sens team. Just needs a coaching change.

Maybe from an external viewpoint without digging too much... but it has been an horrible ride. The thing is when you are rebuilding, it's actually hard to screw up, yet he did it massively.

During a rebuild, you're supposed to pile up assets yet we have been bleeding them out. The team was in an extremely good position after the 2020 draft but Dorion kept making blunder after blunder, unprovoked.

It would take very long to explain but look at this for example, this article for his 5 best trades as the GM :

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/ottaw...five-trades-made-by-outgoing-gm-pierre-dorion

5th best trade : moved up to 37th OA using the 44th OA and 83rd OA to... draft a prospect that might have been there at 44th OA. He's an excellent prospect but his NHL Future is still unknown

4th best trade : moved a 5.0 AAV contract that didn't work out as expected for an aging 3rd pairing D-man and a 3rd round pick. All good, until it costed us a 1st round pick

3rd best trade : sold high on Dzingel, unexpected return BUT let Duclair go for nothing as a RFA, traded one of the 2nd for Derek Stepan who had a 6.5 AAV (massive dumps for other teams) and the other 2nd for Matt Murray who we signed to a burden of a contract, who we then had to dump using a 3rd + 7th. And since we could only dump 75% of the AAV, it contributed greatly to us being in cap hell this season

I mean, these are supposed to be some of his best trades...

The reality is we decided (well Melnyk did) to dismantle 100% of a team that went to the ECF and extremely close to the Cup finals in 2017. Most of the best players they had were still young and valuable (Karlsson, Stone, Pageau, Hoffman, etc... even Ryan, Brassard, Methot, MacArthur, Turris, Phaneuf were all 31 and under but all got diminished by aging/injuries)

6+ years later, it still doesn't look like we're anywhere near what they were capable to achieve, despite a whole firesale and 6 drafts

Next management has a chance to turn this into something good though and it starts with hiring the right coaching staff who will have them play the right way and maximize their potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad