Euro: Semifinals - Spain v. France - July 9

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
2018 and 2022, Mbappé was dominant. Both performance, IMO, being better than any of Messi's WC performances.

In terms of overall level/career, yeah, it is Messi by a mile and a half.
2018 Argentina was in a real mess. Over the hill players, low team morale, a coach just brought into the fold a shambles.

France used to have really top class midfielders once upon a time with real style like Zidane but before that like Giresse and Platini. They really are quite vertical and boring now and couldn't unlock a Spanish defence with OAP Navas and a soft CB pairing.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
France used to have really top class midfielders once upon a time with real style like Zidane but before that like Giresse and Platini. They really are quite vertical and boring now and couldn't unlock a Spanish defence with OAP Navas and a soft CB pairing.
This is why I'm always left scratching my head when people say France have the best players in the world. Huh?

The best athletes? Sure. But how can anyone look at that midfield completely bereft of creativity and incredibly limited technically and call them the best in the world?

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Dominated ? Hardly. He's not even remotely close to the level of Messi.
Mbappe didn't dominate two WCs?
There's really no denying it.

This is why I'm always left scratching my head when people say France have the players in the world. Huh?

The best athletes? Sure. But how can anyone look at that midfield completely bereft of creativity and incredibly limited technically and call them the best in the world?
Time to get introduced to Cherki, Olise, Doue, Akliouche, etc...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'm surprised you're not upset Olise chose France.
Not upset but very surprised. And don't see the point for him.
At least though he's been consistant.
He didn't change at age 21 because France proposed him money and promised him some Euro playing time.

But quite happy you can see that France isn't acting like Spain or others and select him to prevent him from going elsewhere.
Olise could be upset and go to play for one of the other 3 nations he's eligible for.
But so far he's insistent on playing for France.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I was thinking about blaming the defenders but after watching the play over and over, I think those were just incredible plays.

It was for some reason not mentioned here but I just saw the play where Nacho shoved Kolo Muani's head into the ground. That's disgusting. I'd love to see him eat a headbutt for that.

I agree about the goal as I said in the post you quoted, but still think other players get called out there.

Interesting. I saw that with Nacho and Muani multiple times, but they were always just the slow motion closeup after the fact. I’d want to see it at normal speed and not a closeup.

Don't forget Gavi :D

I was referring to the current squad and all the talk after the QF about Spain would be missing out on four players. IMO the only notable miss there was Carvajal as Spain had as good CBs on the bench and Olmo is better than Pedri in how De La Fuente wants that player to play.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
@Evilo Yamal had the most ground duels won, tied with Rabiot and Kounde. Kid can defend.
I was about to come in here and say that Kounde looks a lot better as a #2 and as a #4 or #5, but then he does that OG and all hope is lost. Seriously nobody looked good in this match for France, like nobody. And what does Raibot honestly do out there? He's like Kroos, just runs around the pitch making himself look busy and has extra baggage on top of that with a psychotic mother.

E: Actually I lied a little bit, after Saliba, Theo was the one who made his stock rise the most. very impressive tournament from him.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
@Evilo Yamal had the most ground duels won, tied with Rabiot and Kounde. Kid can defend.
Yes he did very well in the second half. I think he took some heat at halftime because he didn't even try in the first.

Whether he can defend or not, point was his getting back or not. He gets back. Just because a player gets back though doesn’t mean he’s doing some great defensive feat.
Yes but he didn't get back in the first half which put Spain in trouble.
He did in the second half and did it well.

Reactions: luiginb

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I was about to come in here and say that Kounde looks a lot better as a #2 and as a #4 or #5, but then he does that OG and all hope is lost. Seriously nobody looked good in this match for France, like nobody. And what does Raibot honestly do out there? He's like Kroos, just runs around the pitch making himself look busy and has extra baggage on top of that with a psychotic mother.

E: Actually I lied a little bit, after Saliba, Theo was the one who made his stock rise the most. very impressive tournament from him.
Wait, you think Kroos doesn't do anything? Between this and you thinking Bellingham has carried England, I'm amazed we're watching the same games.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Wait, you think Kroos doesn't do anything? Between this and you thinking Bellingham has carried England, I'm amazed we're watching the same games.
Kroos hasn't done anything for the last 14 years fam. It just isn't this Euros. He's Great Value vanilla ice cream, good for a deserted island, but not on the roads of Rome with homemade gelato.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Kroos hasn't done anything for the last 14 years fam. It just isn't this Euros. He's Great Value vanilla ice cream, good for a deserted island, but not on the roads of Rome with homemade gelato.
I'm not convinced we're even watching the same sport anymore.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Yes but he didn't get back in the first half which put Spain in trouble.
He did in the second half and did it well.

At all? Not even once? I doubt that. Either way, I guess it’s a good thing I was referring to more than just one match. ;)

Anyway, I agree with you on Deschamps’ track record, but I also think it’s time for a change if they can get Zidane in.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
At all? Not even once? I doubt that. Either way, I guess it’s a good thing I was referring to more than just one match. ;)

Anyway, I agree with you on Deschamps’ track record, but I also think it’s time for a change if they can get Zidane in.
Yes that wouldn't be a problem. But that won't happen.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad