Confirmed Signing with Link: Marlies Sign Alex Nylander (AHL Contract)

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Good smart depth option. They have a player available if needed and didn't have to use cap space to do it.

Anything can happen in training camp. One of the wingers could get injured, Cowan may not make the team, or Robertson could hold out. The Leafs need to cover those outcomes.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Nothing like a PTO. People shouldn’t make more out of this. He signed an AHL deal with the Marlies. That’s the extent of it. He is a good AHL player, perhaps it should just stay that way. I'd be shocked if he plays for the Leafs.
Really? You'd be shocked?

That makes me think that they are not allowed to have him at training camp, or call him up in place on injury during the regular season.

I'm not sure dude.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Seems highly unlikely that ANylander is going to become that much of a prick on the ice to worry about that. In the meantime, the Marlies get a very good AHL-level player which they have done before.
And AN gets to live rent free with his brother

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
This is something I did not know.

I figured anyone in the AHL could be called up to their respective NHL team.

Thank you for the education.
Players on NHL deals can be called up, but technically Nylander is not part of the Maple Leafs organisation. He can be invited to camp though (PTO)

Last edited:
Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
And from there they could give him a different contract?

Just very interested about why he would sign an AHL deal......

Just trying to understand.
Yeah, anyone not on an SPC who goes to camp is on a PTO that is essentially what an invite is. . One benifit that the Leafs having Nylander on an AHL deal is that if he doesn't make the team outright he doesn't need waivers. Still, the AHL is most likely because the ream sees him as an AHL player who will have to earn an NHL deal.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Could be a cheap offensively inclined depth filler at wing if the Leafs deal Robertson. No doubt if they ever needed to turn this into a two-way NHL deal, they will. Suffice to say he was probably only getting two-way offers anyways. This kind of ensures he will get to stay in the same org as his brother and then once injuries or moves (Robertson maybe) happen, he may get a chance to play in the NHL with William.

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010
I know it's #offseason but still hilarious to see the amount of attention this nothing signing is getting on this site and in the Canadian Sports media in general. Days worth of coverage for a guy who scored a few goals for Columbus before they cut him loose without second thought.

Tweet out some more 'shirtless' picks of the 2 'bros' though.

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
Used to watch him play in Rochester.

Could look good a couple shifts, showed why he was a first round talent. Most shifts he was invisible, however, and that was frustrating to watch.

View attachment 897720

Perhaps he's matured and can apply himself better these days.

I'd be surprised though.
Surely, year 8 is where he changes his spots and lives up to his potential.

• Haha
Reactions: Howie Hodge

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Not good enough for a top 6 spot in the NHL.
Not tough enough for a bottom 6 spot.

Maybe he'll thrive in the A.

Reactions: Sinbad

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I kinda like this. He will be a great skill player four our younger guys to learn to work with and it should be fun for Willy. Let's hope his brother let's him stay at his place. In AHL terms it might be a lot like having Ho Sang was though his last name will put extra pressure on him.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
And from there they could give him a different contract?

Just very interested about why he would sign an AHL deal......

Just trying to understand.

Yes from there they can give him an NHL deal, as can anybody else.

As for why he'd sign an AHL deal in Toronto I mean his brother is right there.

Plus the Leafs have that MLSE money, which means they have top quality equipment, Training staff, medical staff, nutrition staff he's got access to the best of the best.

Being a Marlie isn't the same as being in the AHL for Columbus, Utah, SJ,Calgary, Ottawa, Buffalo, Washington etc.

Brother Louis Crevier got a thread. Yes.

Plus even if it wasn't the Marlies, he's still a former top 10 pick, and William Nylander's brother

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I know it's #offseason but still hilarious to see the amount of attention this nothing signing is getting on this site and in the Canadian Sports media in general. Days worth of coverage for a guy who scored a few goals for Columbus before they cut him loose without second thought.

Tweet out some more 'shirtless' picks of the 2 'bros' though.

We're 2 months away from actual NHL hockey and 3 months away from having enough sample size to actually discuss the new season. What else is there to talk about? Don't pretend you have more important things to discuss, you are posting on a hockey forum in peak offseason in the very same thread

Reactions: nashnaidoo

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
He certainly has the talent, and he wouldn’t be the first player to break out in his late twenties. If he wants it enough, he’ll find space on an NHL roster. Couldn’t ask for a better situation for him to do just that.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Really? You'd be shocked?

That makes me think that they are not allowed to have him at training camp, or call him up in place on injury during the regular season.

I'm not sure dude.
They can have him at camp as an invite etc, but he would still be under an AHL contract, kind of a PTO to be at camp. If he wants to be a call-up option, he has to sign an NHL contract, 2-way or otherwise.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Good smart depth option. They have a player available if needed and didn't have to use cap space to do it.

Anything can happen in training camp. One of the wingers could get injured, Cowan may not make the team, or Robertson could hold out. The Leafs need to cover those outcomes.

Robertson could hold out but I don't think he's going to, he's got no leverage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad