Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Man, that Tim Graham article sucks. Not because it’s poor writing or anything, it just sucked to read. How can the Pegulas be so so bad at this part of owning the team? Some of the information in that article made my stomach turn. Suing a charitable organization to stop using the Bills logo? Like wtaf?

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Man, that Tim Graham article sucks. Not because it’s poor writing or anything, it just sucked to read. How can the Pegulas be so so bad at this part of owning the team? Some of the information in that article made my stomach turn. Suing a charitable organization to stop using the Bills logo? Like wtaf?
what's the source?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
what's the source?

“I was disappointed that he was disappointed,” Bills general manager Brandon Beane said. “There are some things we can do better to the point where Takeo didn’t feel like he needed to put that message out there.”

There is more to Spikes’ photo. Fewer than half of the NFL teams offer their alumni any suite at all. Former players and fans who’ve watched from the large suite say the image would have looked starkly different had Spikes moved a few feet to his left. Three Bills sources with direct knowledge of the situation say Spikes also was given two seating remedies, but he refused, with one of the sources saying Spikes seemed intent on taking the issue public.

Why would that be the case? Because in many ways Spikes is the perfect conduit to send a message on behalf of Bills alumni who feel the organization has pushed them aside.

“Marv Levy and I — along with several other legends — have had those same seats that Takeo had, and it’s embarrassing,” all-time sacks leader Bruce Smith said. He declined further comment.

----------------------------

Other prominent former Bills — Hall of Famers, Wall of Famers, Pro Bowlers and captains among them — are upset over their perceived lack of respect from a front office that, at best, has allowed alumni relations to erode and, at worst, insisted upon it. Most are reluctant to speak because they rely on their connections with the team for business purposes or to make their monthly ends meet.

Spikes isn’t one of those. He played only four of his 15 NFL seasons for Buffalo and doesn’t return to Western New York often. Spotrac, a site that tracks sports contracts, shows Spikes earned $46.6 million to play, nearly half of that from the Bills.

“He painted a far worse picture to prove a point,” said a former Bills executive who has been in the suite with alumni. He spoke on the condition of anonymity because he still interacts with alumni. “Those guys all talk. This had been festering for a while, and he took the opportunity.

“That’s not to say the Bills can’t do better, but there’s a lot of good being done there too.”

-----------------------

Then there is the estranged Buffalo Bills Alumni Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. A group of former Bills, mostly from the AFL championship teams, established the foundation in 1998. While not affiliated with the team, it always had Ralph Wilson’s blessing. The foundation’s recent Cure the Blue campaign for prostate cancer research has donated over $300,000 to Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center.

But the Bills haven’t met with the Alumni Foundation since 2018, when the front office ordered the group to stop using the team’s trademarked, standing red buffalo and charging blue buffalo logos.

“I don’t like talking negatively, but some things have to be said,” said Booker Edgerson, Bills Wall of Fame cornerback and former Alumni Foundation president. “It’s amazing how it went down the tubes so fast.

“When Ralph had the team, he was 100 percent positive with the alumni. He really did a lot. Since the new ownership, things have changed, and there’s not anything necessarily wrong with that, but …”

Edgerson wonders if the Bills have even considered honoring next year’s 60th anniversary of their first AFL championship. He said he hasn’t heard anything. Edgerson added only 15 players are still alive, and some are in bad health.

After 17 consecutive years with at least one new inductee, the Bills have added only six Wall of Famers over the past 15 seasons and none since posthumously honoring Cookie Gilchrist in 2017, the last year the Bills convened their Wall of Fame committee. The most recent living player inducted was defensive end Phil Hansen in 2011.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
what's the source?
A couple of anonymous former executives tried to give compelling reasons why current ownership has dialed back alumni relations. Booker Edgerton spoke about how quickly things changed after the ownership change. But it’s mostly just facts. Bills haven’t added anybody to the wall of fame since Cookie Gichrist in 2017. Before Pegulas ownership, there was a new player added to the wall every year. Sabres have only added Ryan Miller to the hall of fame since the Pegulas bought the team. The last one added before him was Hasek.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

I had the opposite reaction. Objectively, the bills are in the minority of organizations even offering suites to alumni. And Spikes took a bad picture on purpose, and declined alternative seating. He was trying to prove a point. And the point is that the alumni are mad they didn’t have unprecedented access like they did under Wilson.

But the alumni were WAY too involved during the drought years. I 100 percent agree with Beane and McDermott (and ultimately Pegula) dialing it back a ton

The Bills under pegula are graded extremely high by current players relative to other teams.

Last edited:

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I had the opposite reaction. Objectively, the bills are in the minority of organizations even offering suites to alumni. And Spikes took a bad picture on purpose, and declined alternative seating. He was trying to prove a point. And the point is that the alumni are mad they didn’t have unprecedented access like they did under Wilson.

But the alumni were WAY too involved during the drought years. I 100 percent agree with Beane and McDermott (and ultimately Pegula) dialing it back a ton

The Bills under pegula are graded extremely high by current players relative to other teams.
I don’t know man, that seems like wishful thinking to me.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
This.

I've always hated any form of cola/Pepsi/Dr Pepper, but for the most part I gave up drinking everything which isn't water a few years ago.

I'll allow myself to have one proper coffee, one sugary pop/juice & maybe a few beers at the weekend. During the week though - water only. I'll aim to have 4 litres (circa 1 US gallon) per day.
lets not even mention Mountain Dew, that sh** is evil. :D

and of course this one, see the slogan on the can lol although it did get alot of kids through college
1695909847066.png

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

I think a lot of things can be true at the same time:

1.) The 90s stars were WAY too present/influential during the streak and under Wilson's ownership
2.) The Pegulas may have dialed things back too far
3.) There are Bills who deserve a place on the wall (Reuben, Meatball, maybe Moulds come immediately to mind) who aren't there yet
4.) The alumni suite isn't exactly a good suite, even if they're one of the (slim) minority who offer a suite to alumni

Sounds to me like there needs to be some middle ground. The new stadium should have a better alumni suite, a couple of Bills should go up on the wall......but the 90s stars shouldn't be expecting the same time of access/influence as they had with Wilson.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
lets not even mention Mountain Dew, that sh** is evil. :D

and of course this one, see the slogan on the can lol although it did get alot of kids through college
View attachment 746930
Oh man. I was absolutely hooked on energy drinks 10 or so years ago. Pretty sure that my local convenience store ordered specific quantities of my favourite brand, just because i bought so much of it.

It's the only thing I've ever been totally addicted to. The only solution was to go completely cold turkey one day & never go back.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I think a lot of things can be true at the same time:

1.) The 90s stars were WAY too present/influential during the streak and under Wilson's ownership
2.) The Pegulas may have dialed things back too far
3.) There are Bills who deserve a place on the wall (Reuben, Meatball, maybe Moulds come immediately to mind) who aren't there yet
4.) The alumni suite isn't exactly a good suite, even if they're one of the (slim) minority who offer a suite to alumni

Sounds to me like there needs to be some middle ground. The new stadium should have a better alumni suite, a couple of Bills should go up on the wall......but the 90s stars shouldn't be expecting the same time of access/influence as they had with Wilson.

I don’t even think it was Pegula. This deference to alumni stopped when McDermott came aboard unless I’m misremembering.

And I agree, the next suite should better if they keep an alumni suite (though, I wouldn’t be too surprised to see it dropped altogether.). And I agree they can some players to the wall.

But this drama isn’t about the suite or wall, it comes off as pouting based on how they are treated big picture. So if the bills can do something to please them, they should. It just shouldn’t be anything about access to the team like they had before

Reactions: Husko

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I'm chomping at the bit to get to this game. We know Poyer, Milano, Hyde and Tre have been around for a while, and the excellence they have all achieved. We know McDermott's roots as a DC, and his current role. There's no way this defense doesn't come prepared to play Sunday.
Me too. I really don't enjoy these blowout games against terrible opponents as much as i should, or as most of you guys probably do. In fact I've watched Redzone instead of the last two..

But this weekend, two great teams in the season's biggest game so far? Can't wait for it.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
once they have their first kidney stone, become pre diabetic, or get a ulcer your right of course. 8 glasses of water here for 20 years now and no more issues with either. Although I do have a ginger ale everyone once in a blue moon.
Coffee, tea, water, and when I’m feeling froggy I’ll have some of this seltzer I discovered recently.

81PcuI8tsQL.jpg

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
The Bills needed young players to step up to keep going. Bernard is a surprise but he’s been playing amazing. Oliver, Rousseau, Cook, Torrence, and even Epenesa are answering the call.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I just skimmed it, but I actually found the parts about how Spikes framed a bad picture to intentionally make it look worse than it is to be the most interesting part of what I read.

Maybe I'm just really jaded, but I personally don't care that much how nice of a suite the Bills are giving their alumni. There's 70,000 people in that stadium that aren't millionaires paying for much worse than a private suite, even if the conference table portion of it has an obstructed view.

Pegulas have plenty of faults, I just can't come to care about this.

A couple of anonymous former executives tried to give compelling reasons why current ownership has dialed back alumni relations. Booker Edgerton spoke about how quickly things changed after the ownership change. But it’s mostly just facts. Bills haven’t added anybody to the wall of fame since Cookie Gichrist in 2017. Before Pegulas ownership, there was a new player added to the wall every year. Sabres have only added Ryan Miller to the hall of fame since the Pegulas bought the team. The last one added before him was Hasek.
I mean... that's how it goes when you suck for 2 decades, no? Kyle Williams will be added, but he didn't retire that long ago. I can't think of anyone else I want up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad