Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I just skimmed it, but I actually found the parts about how Spikes framed a bad picture to intentionally make it look worse than it is to be the most interesting part of what I read.

Maybe I'm just really jaded, but I personally don't care that much how nice of a suite the Bills are giving their alumni. There's 70,000 people in that stadium that aren't millionaires paying for much worse than a private suite, even if the conference table portion of it has an obstructed view.

Pegulas have plenty of faults, I just can't come to care about this.

I mean... that's how it goes when you suck for 2 decades, no? Kyle Williams will be added, but he didn't retire that long ago. I can't think of anyone else I want up there.
The suite part was probably the least compelling of alumni gripes. They have haven't replaced the alumni coordinator in years. Forcing the Bills alumni charity to stop using the logo. Read it, or don't, I mean, I found it really f***ing depressing but maybe Im the only one?

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
The suite part was probably the least compelling of alumni gripes. They have haven't replaced the alumni coordinator in years. Forcing the Bills alumni charity to stop using the logo. Read it, or don't, I mean, I found it really f***ing depressing but maybe Im the only one?

I just recall how annoying the alumni were towards the end of the drought years, so I’m happy McDermott and Beane pulled it back.

Them being a little hurt is fine, I totally get it actually, but whatever. Bills should do something to make them happier, but just in the sense you sometimes make a child happy over a situation, even if you didn’t do anything wrong

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
That's a biotch move by Spikes. I loved the dude while he played for us, but I really dislike people distorting reality to get attention and strengthen their cause. There's too much of that in our country already.

Weak move from one of the strongest necks in sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirty Dog

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I don’t even think it was Pegula. This deference to alumni stopped when McDermott came aboard unless I’m misremembering.

And I agree, the next suite should better if they keep an alumni suite (though, I wouldn’t be too surprised to see it dropped altogether.). And I agree they can some players to the wall.

But this drama isn’t about the suite or wall, it comes off as pouting based on how they are treated big picture. So if the bills can do something to please them, they should. It just shouldn’t be anything about access to the team like they had before
I read an article years ago about former Bilss CB Charles Romes (he was actually pretty decent by league standards) "staying close to the current team years after his playing career was over" (paraphrased). Pretty sure it was because he was selling them drugs.

Retirees where I work still need to pass through security to get in, and must pre-arrange those visits, whether invited or not.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
That's a biotch move by Spikes. I loved the dude while he played for us, but I really dislike people distorting reality to get attention and strengthen their cause. There's too much of that in our country already.

Weak move from one of the strongest necks in sports.

Definitely the Neck GOAT

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
1695944983410.png

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Anyone secretly wish we took Laporta instead ?

Not a great night for Love
If you mean, Laporta in the 2nd and something else like RT, WR in the first, maybe. But I'm still super high on Kincaid, he just hasn't been fully utilized yet (partly due to game scripts imo). Also very pleased with how our sequence went with Cybo looking like a future Pro Bowler in the 2nd.

This does look like an excellent TE class though, as it was projected to be.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
If you mean, Laporta in the 2nd and something else like RT, WR in the first, maybe. But I'm still super high on Kincaid, he just hasn't been fully utilized yet (partly due to game scripts imo). Also very pleased with how our sequence went with Cybo looking like a future Pro Bowler in the 2nd.

This does look like an excellent TE class though, as it was projected to be.
ooh, me too, no regrets with the pick, I just like the way Laporta looks too, Dallas not reaching on Laporta next would reinforce your theory too. I think Kincaid's brain is working a little too hard right now, but that's the rookie blips.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Anyone secretly wish we took Laporta instead ?

Not a great night for Love
St. Brown is a fun young player, very good in the slot. But he’s not in Diggs tier. Reynolds probably wouldn’t have made the bills roster (or if he did would be in a Sheefield/Shakir type Seth role). That’s what I’m getting at, there’s just way more targets to go around in that offense.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
How is the game clock hitting zero not reviewable? The league never fails to disappoint

For those that missed it...

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
St. Brown is a fun young player, very good in the slot. But he’s not in Diggs tier. Reynolds probably wouldn’t have made the bills roster (or if he did would be in a Sheefield/Shakir type Seth role). That’s what I’m getting at, there’s just way more targets to go around in that offense.
I think you're being a little harsh on Detroit. One of my best friends is a big Lions fan, I've watched quite a few of their games over recent years. I've been at the front of their hype train, even before they were on hard knocks. I saw the same green shoots there as we all saw when McBeane first took charge of the Bills.

Of course, the key to their success is that OL which is hands down best in league. And while I'd agree their skill players are on the whole inferior to the Bills, i don't think they are as bad as you make out.

If St Brown isn't an elite receiver, then he's certainly at the top of the tier below. He also seems to have an unbelievably good personality / work ethic, a la Gabe Davis - which does seem to be a rare trait at the position.

Josh Reynolds is stupidly under rated, always has been even since his days in LA, IMO. He also has very good chemistry with Goff. That was a Beane-esque pickup for them if i ever saw one. He's a legit WR3 on most teams in the league.

They also have a few other options - Khalif Raymond is a useful gadget player, Jahmyr Gibbs out of the backfield (they have lined him up at receiver too IIRC) & Jameson Williams returning soon as their deep guy. Trading away TJ Hockenson has been one of the very few things they have done recently which i disagreed with - but i think they might have fixed it already with LaPorta. He looks legit.

I'm very happy with the Kincaid pick BTW. More so for the many benefits we discussed over the summer provided by switching to 2TE/12 personnel, than the particular player himself. The fruits are already showing & we're only three games into the season. And while Kincaid's numbers haven't been crazy - they have still been pretty good.

I guess the point I'm making is that LaPorta could easily become the best TE of the strongest ever class, but i won't lose any sleep over it because we also got one of the good ones & it's potentially transformed what was an explosive but one dimensional offence, into something which could become Championship calibre.

Reactions: HOOats

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
If St Brown isn't an elite receiver, then he's certainly at the top of the tier below. He also seems to have an unbelievably good personality / work ethic, a la Gabe Davis - which does seem to be a rare trait at the position.

Was about to post the same thing. St. Brown is a fantastic player, closer to an All-Pro in his third year than a "fun young player." Massively productive and clutch to boot. He's a heart and soul guy for them while also being an elite talent despite being undersized. Helps when your dad was Mr. Universe and started you lifting at 7 lol.

After a season of being overhyped, the Lions seem ready to make some actual noise this year. I'm rooting for them.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Alrighty. Prediction time, boys!

Offensively, Buffalo needs to protect Allen and get the running game going. I'm not convinced Miami is stout against the run. LAC ran all over them. They stopped the Pats run game, but the Pats were missing 3 or 4 starting O lineman. So, try to get that going early and often. We also know Miami likes to send a ton of pressure, especially on 3rd and long situations. Pick up those blitzes well, and we're in good shape. Of course, Allen needs to play clean, too.

Defensively, boy, they have their work cut out for them. Miami has added a stellar rushing attack to their arsenal. Their O line is playing out of their mind, but I think some of that is the quick attack offense negating pressure. If we can get pressure on Tua, he'll fold. He'll start making some iffy passes, and I think we can get turnovers. Part of that is slowing down the WRs to mess with the timing of their offense and forcing Tua to go through his progressions, which can get messy. The other part is the D line getting home a few times. I think Miami is going to come out with a ton of mis directions, screens, etc...to try and break our defense's focus forcing them to cheat on PA and jump shorter routes.

This is a 50/50 game, but I'm not overly concerned. If the D line gets pressure and we can interrupt the timing of their routes, we'll be in good shape, but their rushing attack worries me. There's a ton of speed back there, and Buffalo has shown to give up BIG runs every game this year. That won't be pretty against the Dolphins.

That being said, Tua is still prone to iffy passes when the pressure gets to him. The Pats also slowed them down a ton in the 2nd half. They struggled quite a bit against two teams who aren't exactly good. We are good. We have a QB that can go toe-to-toe with anyone and a stingy defense. I think we win as long as Allen plays smart.

Buffalo-35
Miami-27

Reactions: sabresfan129103

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
once they have their first kidney stone, become pre diabetic, or get a ulcer your right of course. 8 glasses of water here for 20 years now and no more issues with either. Although I do have a ginger ale everyone once in a blue moon.
What about coffee? 20 waters is tough when I’m going like 3 big boys of black coffee a day.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I think you're being a little harsh on Detroit. One of my best friends is a big Lions fan, I've watched quite a few of their games over recent years. I've been at the front of their hype train, even before they were on hard knocks. I saw the same green shoots there as we all saw when McBeane first took charge of the Bills.

Of course, the key to their success is that OL which is hands down best in league. And while I'd agree their skill players are on the whole inferior to the Bills, i don't think they are as bad as you make out.

Josh Reynolds is stupidly under rated, always has been even since his days in LA, IMO. He also has very good chemistry with Goff. That was a Beane-esque pickup for them if i ever saw one. He's a legit WR3 on most teams in the league.

They also have a few other options - Khalif Raymond is a useful gadget player, Jahmyr Gibbs out of the backfield (they have lined him up at receiver too IIRC) & Jameson Williams returning soon as their deep guy. Trading away TJ Hockenson has been one of the very few things they have done recently which i disagreed with - but i think they might have fixed it already with LaPorta. He looks legit.

I'm very happy with the Kincaid pick BTW. More so for the many benefits we discussed over the summer provided by switching to 2TE/12 personnel, than the particular player himself. The fruits are already showing & we're only three games into the season. And while Kincaid's numbers haven't been crazy - they have still been pretty good.

I guess the point I'm making is that LaPorta could easily become the best TE of the strongest ever class, but i won't lose any sleep over it because we also got one of the good ones & it's potentially transformed what was an explosive but one dimensional offence, into something which could become Championship calibre.
I'm not being harsh on them, I'm just speaking a reality about their pass catching options. St. Brown is good but not Diggs. Craig Reynolds signed a 1-year vet minimum deal. That's considerably less Harty and a decent amount less than even Sherfield. They're a fun young team, but Laporta having way less competition for targets than Kincaid is just a fact, not a value statement.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I'm not being harsh on them, I'm just speaking a reality about their pass catching options. St. Brown is good but not Diggs. Craig Reynolds signed a 1-year vet minimum deal. That's considerably less Harty and a decent amount less than even Sherfield. They're a fun young team, but Laporta having way less competition for targets than Kincaid is just a fact, not a value statement.
You need to look up Josh Reynolds, not Craig Reynolds... :laugh:

Kincaid is =4th in team targets on the season so far with 12. Davis is 2nd with 15, so close. He's played 64% of total snaps.

LaPorta is 2nd in team targets on the season with 27 (through one more game). He's played 80% of total snaps.

LaPorta's usage has been more than Kincaid for sure - but it's not the huge difference you're painting it to be. They are actually quite close in terms of where they rank in the hierarchy of their respective offences. And I think both have been excellent thus far.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
You need to look up Josh Reynolds, not Craig Reynolds... :laugh:

Kincaid is =4th in team targets on the season so far with 12. Davis is 2nd with 15, so close. He's played 64% of total snaps.

LaPorta is 2nd in team targets on the season with 27 (through one more game). He's played 80% of total snaps.

LaPorta's usage has been more than Kincaid for sure - but it's not the huge difference you're painting it to be. They are actually quite close in terms of where they rank in the hierarchy of their respective offences. And I think both have been excellent thus far.
Joe Marino talked about how some people have unrealistic expectations for Kincaid's usage right now.

Kincaid is on pace for 62 receptions this season. That would be top 5 all time for a rookie TE. Plus, LaPorta isn't on a team with a TE like Knox.

The one area that you likely see growth as the season goes on is getting Kincaid targeted down the field more.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Joe Marino talked about how some people have unrealistic expectations for Kincaid's usage right now.

Kincaid is on pace for 62 receptions this season. That would be top 5 all time for a rookie TE. Plus, LaPorta isn't on a team with a TE like Knox.

The one area that you likely see growth as the season goes on is getting Kincaid targeted down the field more.
I'd read the bolded myself recently & this only supports the arguement I'm trying to make above.

Knox shouldn't be a huge factor though. Even at this early stage, they are equal in targets while Kincaid is way ahead of Knox in both receptions & yards. It's clear what their respective roles are going to be & it always has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad