Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

He's clearly still injured. They're lucky they played a trash Rams team and that defense held the fort down. How long is this injury supposed to linger? From what I've read, it's his planting foot that's injured, so it's likely impacting his throws a lot.

Also, need some fantasy advice. What does everyone think if I try to trade N Harris for B Hall?

This is a bit premature of me, but it seems like Kromer just needed a year to get his guys and have that unit begin to gel.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Again...this team needs to go all in for Mike Evans next year. He is EXACTLY what Josh needs. Dude is still a top 8 WR year in year out. Allen-Cook-Diggs-Evans-Kincaid-Knox best offense in the league.
The Bills don't have the cap space for that, and they don't have the need. I keep reading posters who write about needing another receiver. That's fantasy football, John Madden video game thinking.

Tom Brady tore the league in two with Gronkowski, Welker/Edelman, and a bunch of nobody receivers, especially after Hernandez went to prison. The post-Randy Moss super receiver teams had Gronkowski, Edelman, and these receivers at the #3 target:

Hernandez (2011)
Brandon Lloyd (2012)
Shane Vereen (2013) - he's a running back
Brandon LaFell (2014)
Danny Amendola (2015)
James White (2016) - he's a running back
Brandin Cooks (2017)
James White (2018)
James White (2019)

In Brady's 9 post-Randy Moss seasons with the Patriots, after Gronkowski and either Welker or Edelman (Edelman became the new Welker the season after Welker left), his 3rd best receiver was a running back 4 times, a tight end, and mostly nobody receivers.

Dorsey runs a similar E-P based offense coming as a Daboll understudy. The schemes are similar. Allen needs to take what he's given. Brady did that a lot and tore the league in two.
It's looking like another great draft class for receiver as well. I keep thinking Beane will extend his guy any week now, but I "think" there are better options.
Draft should be BPA by the tier that's still available.

And if Beane should have a focus, it isn't receiver. Beane should look what Belichick did for Brady. He has a constant stream of offensive lineman coming onto the team. He already had Damien Woody and Andruzzi coming into the head coaching position.

2000: Klemm (2nd round pick), Randall (4th)
2001: Light (2nd), Jones (4th). Anchor LT from this draft, Jones was a starter.
2003: Koppen (5th), big hit for them on day 3
2005: Mankins (1st), Kaczur (3rd). This draft really set up the Pats OL for dominance.
2006: O'Callaghan (5th), Stevenson (6th)
2007: Oldenburg (5th), Hilliard (6th)
2009: Vollmer (2nd), Ohrnberger (4th), Bussey (5th), Ingram (6th)
2010: Larsen (6th), Welch (7th). Larsen was a solid starter.
2011: Solder (1st), Cannon (5th). Another good draft to reset the Pats OL for SB runs.
2014: Stork (4th), Fleming (4th), Halapio (6th). Good find in Fleming.
2015: Jackson (4th), Mason (4th). Mason was a find.
2016: Thuney (3rd), Karras (6th). Thuney was a great pick. Karras is a contributor.
2017: Garcia (3rd), McDermott (6th)
2018: Wynn (1st). Wynn was ok for a few seasons.
2019: Cajuste (3rd), Froholdt (4th)

To support his franchise QB over 20 drafts, Belichick allocated 3 x 1sts, 3 x 2nds, 4 x 3rds, 8 x 4ths, 5 x 5ths, 7 x 6ths, 1 x 7th. That's 31 offensive lineman drafted in 20 drafts. 10 day 1-2 picks.

Let's look at how Beane supported Allen in 6 drafts, including the one Allen was drafted in.
2018: Teller (5th)
2019: Ford (2nd)
2021: Brown (3rd), Doyle (5th), Anderson (7th)
2022: Tenuta (6th)
2023: Torrence (2nd), Broeker (7th)

8 picks in 6 drafts. 3 day 1-2 picks. Beane had Dawkins from previous drafts. And while this number isn't far off what Belichick did, the Pats had some focused OL drafts in 2001, 2005, 2009, and 2011 that kept Brady upright. Beane needs to do that.
4 verts is open.
Sure, every play?

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I think it’s clear the team wants Allen’s weapons to be two WRs, two TEs, and speed/receiving back, and then a gadget/speed WR. Davis and Harty are the only two players in that group that don’t have their claws into that role for the foreseeable future. And I wouldn’t be surprised to see Davis resigned.

So I don’t see them getting a Mike Evans. If Davis goes, I think we’d be drafting his replacement.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
It's looking like another great draft class for receiver as well. I keep thinking Beane will extend his guy any week now, but I "think" there are better options.
I'm hoping he looks at the draft. By the time a first or second-round pick looks at a significant raise, Diggs will be at a point in his career (and his contract) where the Bills can anoint the next guy their number one. Davis, as much as I like the guy, is probably going to go the way of Tremaine - too good to not get paid on the market, but not good enough to justify the cap gymnastics Beane would have to do to keep him.

Reactions: beerme1

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
I think it’s clear the team wants Allen’s weapons to be two WRs, two TEs, and speed/receiving back, and then a gadget/speed WR. Davis and Harty are the only two players in that group that don’t have their claws into that role for the foreseeable future. And I wouldn’t be surprised to see Davis resigned.

So I don’t see them getting a Mike Evans. If Davis goes, I think we’d be drafting his replacement.
or grooming Shorter if he can develop

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
If I'm taking a super early swing at a draft, with the Bills in the range of drafting 29-32, here's what I'd be thinking, based on current lists:

1st) I really, really like Jordan Morgan, the OT from Arizona. He tore his right ACL last year. If he's healthy, I think he'll be available around the end of the 1st round. Amarius Mims might be there as well.

2nd) I mock across a bunch of different platforms, and the name that pops here continually is McKinnley Jackson, the DT from Texas A&M. He's a bowling ball of a DT who can be a true NT. He's got an arrest at Texas A&M which needs to be checked out, but if he clears, he's an anchor on the defense.

3rd) Bryce Foster is another Texas A&M player who pops off the lists for me in the 3rd round. He's got a chance to test like Creed Humphries, and will likely have a high RAS.

A day 1-2 of the draft which looks like that would reset the Bills OL and give some DT help. Obviously these thoughts are without the benefit of a full season, combine, and draft process, and also doesn't take into account BPA (which is a function of it being September). But this is the type of draft I'd look at if I were Beane.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
If I'm taking a super early swing at a draft, with the Bills in the range of drafting 29-32, here's what I'd be thinking, based on current lists:

1st) I really, really like Jordan Morgan, the OT from Arizona. He tore his right ACL last year. If he's healthy, I think he'll be available around the end of the 1st round. Amarius Mims might be there as well.

2nd) I mock across a bunch of different platforms, and the name that pops here continually is McKinnley Jackson, the DT from Texas A&M. He's a bowling ball of a DT who can be a true NT. He's got an arrest at Texas A&M which needs to be checked out, but if he clears, he's an anchor on the defense.

3rd) Bryce Foster is another Texas A&M player who pops off the lists for me in the 3rd round. He's got a chance to test like Creed Humphries, and will likely have a high RAS.

A day 1-2 of the draft which looks like that would reset the Bills OL and give some DT help. Obviously these thoughts are without the benefit of a full season, combine, and draft process, and also doesn't take into account BPA (which is a function of it being September). But this is the type of draft I'd look at if I were Beane.
Give me the fastest WR on the board.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

Assuming we keep Davis, I want OL, DL, and give me the speediest quickest playmaking WR.

So yes, yes I like that mock!

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Give me the fastest WR on the board.
You can draft a field-stretching track star burner with later picks. You don't even need that WR to have good hands, just be a downfield threat to keep the safeties honest. If you want pure speed, you don't even need to take a D-I FBS player.
Your 3-and-4-year collegiate all-conference starting O-linemen, Outland vote-getters, etc. are more value for a high-round pick. You won't find them in later rounds (unless they have bad physical characteristics / dimensions).

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Damn, I'm watching the first episode of Hardknocks, and the Jets players were so psyched about Rodgers. They were hyped watching some of his throws in TC.

I've officially reached the point where I feel bad for that franchise. That's as bad as it gets...when a fan of a rival team feels bad for you. Geez.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Damn, I'm watching the first episode of Hardknocks, and the Jets players were so psyched about Rodgers. They were hyped watching some of his throws in TC.

I've officially reached the point where I feel bad for that franchise. That's as bad as it gets...when a fan of a rival team feels bad for you. Geez.

How they thought that team would work with THAT oline is beyond me

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021

Dolphins film study: Breaking down all 10 of Miami’s record-setting touchdowns​

---

Screen Shot 2023-09-26 at 6.03.45 PM.png

Last edited:

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
re: Bernard...

We now have MLB secured with 4 year cheap cost controlled rookie contract.

We are getting a 3rd round comp pick for Edmunds.

Instead of paying Edmunds $18M per year, we essentially get Ed Oliver on a long term deal, Terrel Bernard at MLB, and another third round pick.

An A for Beane.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
Can they afford another Milano extension ? That may also be a determining factor and of course how Williams develops.

I have seen some rumblings that they may want to transition to more 3LB sets. Johnson's durability and reliability at nickel cannot last forever either unless they find a clone.

We need not worry about extending Milano for a couple of years. He did us a solid signing the deal he did. I hope for guys like him, we make sure they made the right decision staying here and giving up money on the table from somewhere else.
Milano was a different deal than Edmunds. He wasn't getting that kind of money anyway but what he did by resigning with us should never be forgotten. He definitely left money on the table somewhere Thank you Matt. You freaking ROCK!

Looking back, I have to laugh at some poster who called me out when I said a long time ago, Edmunds was leaving for big money that we couldn't justify paying. I believe my dollar amount was bang on and my point was right on. Good luck to Tremaine. I have no ill will towards him.
But these are the decisions that have to be made. Billy B has made a habit of letting guys go a year before you think they should be. It's a ruthless business sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad