Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
We remember those drops as missed opportunities. But the Bills lost that game because they could not stop the Chiefs. The drops didn't help. But that was far from the reason for losing.

To balance it out, Shakir made a very high degree of difficulty catch for the touchdown. Just a few weeks ago, Sherfield made an insane TD catch.

Drops happen for every team.

The defense getting shredded is excusable. The entire middle of the Bills defensive unit was decimated by the injuries and the Bills were facing Mahomes, Kelce and Reid.

Sherfield dropping those passes was inexcusable. Diggs dropping that pass was inexcusable. Bass missing the 43-yard field goal was inexcusable. Our healthy D-Line failing to generate ANY pressure whatsoever on Mahomes, against those suspect tackles of the Chiefs... was inexcusable.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
This is exactly where I land. Take the BP available at the bolded. Slight nuance if there are tiers and a big drop off in one of those positions when you're on the clock, etc.

I kinda doubt there is a true safety there that's worthy of the late 1st. But, I haven't ran any mocks. My guess is they go WR or DT or DE in the 1st.
Run a PFF mock. Kitchens and/or Nubin will be available. They'll be the BPA, more than a receiver and a lot more than any defensive lineman at that spot.

Reactions: Selanne00008

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
The defense getting shredded is excusable. The entire middle of the Bills defensive unit was decimated by the injuries and the Bills were facing Mahomes, Kelce and Reid.

Sherfield dropping those passes was inexcusable. Diggs dropping that pass was inexcusable. Bass missing the 43-yard field goal was inexcusable. Our healthy D-Line failing to generate ANY pressure whatsoever on Mahomes, against those suspect tackles of the Chiefs... was inexcusable.
Have to stop the run before you can pin your ears back and pass rush. Everything's connected.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

There's a difference between what is excusable / not excusable, and way over-drafting for perceived need because people are still pissed about key dropped passes.

As much as I like Jordan Morgan - and to be clear, I posted about him as my favorite prospect way back in September - if Kamren Kitchens is available at 28 and Beane reaches for a receiver or defensive lineman over him, that would be not excusable.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Run a PFF mock. Kitchens and/or Nubin will be available. They'll be the BPA, more than a receiver and a lot more than any defensive lineman at that spot.

I just ran/am running a PFF mock now........they've got Keon Coleman rated 39th, which is a problem for me......because if Coleman is on the board, I'll be SCREAMING for the Bills to take him. He's one of the 4 I see in this draft with legit #1 WR potential. Highest bust potential of the 4....but still.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Capture.PNG

I just ran/am running a PFF mock now........they've got Keon Coleman rated 39th, which is a problem for me......because if Coleman is on the board, I'll be SCREAMING for the Bills to take him. He's one of the 4 I see in this draft with legit #1 WR potential. Highest bust potential of the 4....but still.
Hard pass.

He is not the type of WR that the Bills need. They need a guy that can get separation and that is not Coleman's game.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I also don't think people understand just how difficult the Diggs ball in particular is to bring in - balls extremely high in the air getting pushed around by the wind and you're also trying to keep position on the defender as you run.

Now, is it reasonable to expect Diggs, as our #1 and a top tier receiver in the league to be able to make that catch? Sure, I guess. But it's by no means an easy catch.

Reactions: ottsabrefan

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
This is a good visual for me. I think the only thing here that gives me pause is, restructuring Diggs yet again? Wouldn't that balloon his 2025 and 2026 release/cut dead cap? Not sure I want to risk being in a tough spot with him for multiple offseasons to come.
The three big restructure levers they can pull are Allen (no brainer), Diggs, and Miller.

Greg felt like they had to pull two of them and Diggs was the easy choice for the second one.

He did say that they could choose to not restructure Diggs and leave the door open to moving on from him after 2024. But, it makes it a lot harder to get the $25-30M in cap space that Beane likely wants.

We remember those drops as missed opportunities. But the Bills lost that game because they could not stop the Chiefs. The drops didn't help. But that was far from the reason for losing.

To balance it out, Shakir made a very high degree of difficulty catch for the touchdown. Just a few weeks ago, Sherfield made an insane TD catch.

Drops happen for every team.
They also had serious issues getting open down the field in the game and that did cost them.

Yes, the issues on defense were an issue. But, lack of WRs getting open and then WRs dropping the three deep balls was a huge factor in the way the game played out.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
View attachment 810293

Hard pass.

He is not the type of WR that the Bills need. They need a guy that can get separation and that is not Coleman's game.
Yep, same issue with Coleman. He struggles to separate and that's not what the Bills need.

Here's the overall PFF. It'll change, but you can see why I keep coming up with Morgan and the safeties based on their list.

Capture.JPG

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Wife and I were at the game, Bills logo viewed right-side up, 2nd row of upper deck, on the 27 yard line, exact yard line where Bass final attempt was, kicking from left to right in front of us.

Glad I didn't need some of these hot takes to keep me warm that night. I might have overheated.

Been busy with return travel and work / job. New job role since November has really limited my diversions to these boards. Will likely remain that way for many months.

Re: Bills Chiefs outcome - I've heard none of the TV talking heads, listened to no press conferences, etc., only read the takes here and any embedded print links each / all of you have posted. (Again, haven't listened to the audios, and probably won't. Time is precious.)

It was a great game with a disappointing result, but in no way unexpected.

Someone embedded some stat box from X / Twitter that this was the 1st game in the Super Bowl Era with >XXX yards passing, >YYY yards rushing, zero interceptions, no fumbles lost, and no sacks allowed, and >zz:zz time of possession where the team lost. Well, if the Bills won, there likely would have been a similar stat box about the Chiefs without sacks or interceptions and all but one drive not curtailed by the halftime / end of game resulting in points and still losing.

As much as I hate to use excuses here, in the end, it was the defensive injuries that did them in. I won't include the White injury because they replaced him with Douglas, so it's a bit of a wash there. But Milano, Benard, Benford, Rapp and Davis was simply too much. Find me a team missing 5 starters, 4 of them on defense, and see how many playoff games they win. And Buffalo almost still won.

Part of me is angry that we couldn't close from the 20 yard line at the 2 minute mark, but, the reality is, we should have won that game going away if we get 1 stop earlier in the game. They were able to drive down the field on us without regard for the entire first half. If we were able to hit one of those deep shots, we win. If we were able to put any sort of defense to limit Kelce, we win. Why didn't we have those? Because our linebacker core was decimated by injuries. Why couldn't we hit a deep shot? Because our best deep route runner was injured.

I think there is blame to go around, but the reality of it is, injuries played a huge role here. And it f***ing sucks seeing probably our best chance at a trophy get pissed away.
If I was to type a summary of my feelings at 9:35 Sunday night, Monday night, Tuesday night, last night - they would match the above exactly.

the Bills defense was decimated, got gashed for 8-9-10+ yard runs, or YAC pass plays, and only had 1 defensive stop (minus the touchback fumble) for a punt, yet still hung in there well enough to the end despite the depleted talent. they rarely got the Chiefs offense to 3rd down, but were stout when they did. Put one or two of those injured players back on the field - even for half the game - and I think the Bills aren't driving to win at the end, they are driving to protect a lead for the win.

The Bills game plan was extremely effective at controlling time of possession. I remember looking at the stadium scoreboard several times and the gap was absolutely monstrous. It was an effective plan, well-executed until nearly the end.

the officiating was in no way perfect but at least it didn't determine the outcome of the game. I've been watching NFL & NCAA for decades and seen batted ball called three or four times. Regardless, as another poster noted, it was the right play and if you can't fully recover it, getting it out of bounds batted or not is the right play for the Bill player involved. The Chiefs pick play on the LOS passing play resulting in the defensive hold (or whatever it was) often gets ignored. The defensive PI against the Bills on the right side of the field (right in front of us) when the play went left and Mahomes read/progression never even moved his neck/head to the right of his torso should not have been called. there were uncalled KC O-line holds. I am surprised the Bills got the touchback fumble. On the stadium review scoreboard, it didn't look like there was enough to overturn it.

A reminder that this isn’t just about injuries on D and that Mahomes has thrashed every McDermott D in the playoffs

Rebuild it and let him try again?

Stupidity

Absolutely criminal to ignore this when you get the QB.

You wonder why we don’t get over the hump? This is why

Without context of additional factors - e.g., the quality of the Packer O-line and D-line entering those drafts, etc., you can choose any selective stats to paint a picture.

I look forward to NFL teams renaming "00" personnel or "empty" sets to the "Ace package". However, to go "full Ace" (or "5 Aces" as in poker with wild cards), I'd expect the Bills to go one step further and carry 10-12 WRs on the roster. That way, you can have effectively two full platoons of receivers. That'll keep them fresh enough so each receiver can run 3-4 miles of "go" routes each game. By distributing the ball evenly, you can keep the stats down for those 10-12 WRs and control the costs of their next contracts. Then, you only need to decide whether to carry 1 running back on the roster, or have some of your receivers play defense (Line, Linebacker, D-back - doesn't matter when your offensive balance is 80 passes 10 rushes (all QB scrambles) while scoring 90 points a game and passing for 770 yards). One of those WRs playing two-ways will eventually make a tackle.
Ultimately, when it comes down to it, Mahomes is just a little bit better than Allen.

The Chiefs are just a little bit better than the Bills.

We're like the Utah Jazz of the 1990s except the Chicago Bulls play in our conference and Mahomes isn't going to go on hiatus to play baseball.
Nah, Mahomes and Allen aren't on the field at the same time except for the coin toss and a hug. This game was akin to the Jan 1996 Bills-Steelers game where Bruce Smith couldn't play because of the flu. A key injury tilted the field the other way. Sunday, it was several injuries to non-HOF'ers
I have a hard time picturing the Pegulas being ok with a bit of a reset. It’s easy thinking, give this group another go.

What some of you guys are proposing isn’t a retool, but more of an overhaul. Moving on from 5-6 big starters is huge. I’m not against it, but I just don’t see it happening.

It’s easy for us loyal fans to say let’s take a step back one season so we can hopefully take 2 steps forward the following season.

I would hate to be BB this off-season. Lot of difficult decisions.
Not a rebuttal per se, but BB is paid plenty of money to make those decisions and that is the reason he was hired. I've been pleased with his decisions so far. Von Miller got injured and didn't recover, but I don't think he can be blamed for that. He's let some talent go which has had success elsewhere, but most every GM if they are around long enough have that happen. I'm not worried re: Beane, but agree this will be his most challenging offseason to date, for the reasons you cite.
It is no longer financially unviable to shed Diggs' salary. Post June 1, but a cut or trade is no longer that painful. Dead money for sure, but cap savings as well.

Oh, and McDermott is not getting fired. Nor should he be. He coached well enough to win that game. Some key players were injured, others didn't make plats when they needed to.
Agreed.
Bass kick.
Cook catch.
Diggs catch on sideline bomb right in front of us..
Diggs not going 3 catches for 8 targets.
Allen sees Diggs underneath on final set of downs.
Allen not bumped on final series throw.
Someone, anyone, stopping Pacheco or Edwards-Hellaire on just one of their long-gainers.
I read that the Giants are requesting an interview with Babich, the Bills' linebacker coach, for DC. I wonder if the Bills promote him instead, and pursue Luke Keuchly as Babich's replacement.
Why Luke Keuchly? He has a great deal in broadcasting, made bank as a player, doesn't need to spend 7+ months of the year working 80 hours a week, and doesn't need to convince his wife to move. I've been in North Carolina and watched his entire pro career. Great human. Great linebacker. Unknown as a coach. Not my first choice.
I don't think a hard reset requires them to move away from McDermott. Belichick hard reset his defense after the 2007 Super Bowl loss, and then hard reset his offense after the 2nd Giants Super Bowl loss.

I think Beane and McDermott have to answer this question:

Can the current roster, with the required cuts, and with draft reinforcements, win the Super Bowl?

If the answer is yes, then they don't hard reset. They cut players, and re-structure others, add rookies, and go back at it.

If the answer is no, then they at least have to consider the hard reset option.

Even a hard reset option leaves some pieces. Allen will still be behind the same offensive line and with most of the same receivers. And Cook is still running behind that line. It's not a bad way to rebuild.
The bolded are the key questions.
To some extent the post-loss reactions are too KC-centric.
Agree on a lot of this. I do think the hard reset is possible though. It's at least got to be on the table for Beane and McDermott to talk through. The cap issues and age of the roster really make is at least a consideration.

Bills version 1 under Allen is over. Bills version 2 is about to begin. I think Allen gets 3-4 different versions of the Bills as long as he's healthy.
You've championed that "phased" career view before, with comparison to former players / eras, and I agree it's valid. The Jordan Bulls didn't hit their dominant phase until Pippen was on board and they had a complement to Jordan. The Kelly Bills didn't hit their 2nd gear, team-success-wise, until Lofton arrived to stretch the field (and give good downfield blocks).

That first bullet ends any hard reset this offseason ideas to me.

Conversely, two days after a season-ending loss, it does no service to players (whether they are signed or pending UFAs) nor fans to declare it's time to blow it up. A statement like that would throw gasoline on the post-loss fire. It's media relations 101.

This is a great take that I fully agree with. It's one thing to match 12 or 21 to base. But when you're talking about 22 or 13 we just can't. We got gashed in those matchups. I get Taron is their best player and they don't want him on the bench. But we need to have some 3 LB packages next next season. Maybe 4-3, Taron, and just a single FS over the top?

Not rebutting, but adding on to the topic of depleted LB corps and either you or @Dingo44 questioning why Beane was so late subbing in the better athlete, Dorian Williams, for the aging and essentially retired AJ Klein. Pretty sure Klein, having been in the Bills' system for several years, was trusted by McDermott to call the defensive alignments. they likely lacked that confidence with Williams.
Extending Johnson and Douglas are smart decisions. Add in Benford, and it makes moving on from White easier to stomach. If Beane doesn't extend them, the position will be gutted next off-season.

I'd rather keep Hamlin just for the fact that Buffalo has no safeties and $1M isn't that much to save.

I'd rather try to draft an OT now and let Dawkins walk. I don't see him continuing the same level of high play.

Everything else looks like good moves for the Bills. It's leaving the Bills with less holes of positions which get gutted.
Agree with all of this. I don't play with draft simulators like you and others do. I follow college, but don't survey players to the extent you and others do. They need to consciously get younger, or at least not be afraid to do so.

I share similar concerns re: Dawkins. It was a good year for him, best in BUF. How much of that was due to better overall play and health from the entire line, vs. DD himself - both in terms of his play and reduced penalties (my eye test)? What should we expect next year? I'm willing to kick the LT can down the road a year at the draft if a reasonable value isn't there, but, in general, a large part of the Bills success this season was the (several) incremental talent upgrades on O-line combined with remarkably good health in contrast with 2022.

There's a potential danger in specifically molding a Bills team to (eventually, in the 18th, 19th, or 20th game of the year) beat KC, as too many of you are perhaps focused.

Taking the higher-level view:
Many of us were pleased when Daboll would no longer wear a 4XL Bills game-day wardrobe, believing he turned "too cute" and "out-smarted" himself if that is actually possible. Dorsey was a breath of fresh air - passionate, didn't get too cute. Brady was more balanced in his scheme & approach, and it was rejuvenating.

If Brady had been OC longer this season, or all of this season, do the Bills win any of these games?
@_Jets L 16-22 (6 pts) in OT
neutral Jags L 20-25 (5 pts) [strictly speaking Jags London was a Bills home game]
@_Pats L 25-29 (4 pts)
@Bengals L 18-24 (6 pts)
vs. Broncos L 22-24 (2 pts) axe falls after this loss
@ Eagles L 34-37 (3 pts) in OT

Six losses by a combined 26 points, average of 4.33 points, 2 losses in OT.
Add KC playoffs, seven losses by total 29 points, 4.1 point average, 2 losses in OT.

Despite the defensive injuries beginning in game 1 and lasting / increasing all season, the return of Von Miller as an essential non-factor, and the transition from Dorsey to Brady, the Bills finished the season, despite their tough schedule relative to league average, with a +140 regular season point differential (+151 w/ playoffs) to go with those 6 (7) losses. Those differentials were 4th best in NFL this season. For perspective, the three teams with higher differential were all ~200 points vs. the Bills 140. Unless I missed something, every other NFL team was no better than +70-80 point differential (except +100 Dolphins, who didn't beat a winning team all season, save the Cowboys, and only by 2 points).

13-4 (14-4) Ravens +203 (+227) Note: NFL's best scoring defense.
12-5 (12-6) Cowboys +194 (+178) Note: Beat only1 winning team (PHI) in 2023.
12-5 (13-5) Niners +193 (+196) Note: NFL's 3rd-best scoring defense.
11-6 (12-7) Bills +140 (+151) Note: 6 wins against teams with winning records, includes Dolphins counted twice.

Bright spots this year (just some):
Cook replacing Singletary, and others, as clear #1 and versatile.
O-line stability, both in terms of injuries and total unit play.
The loss of Tremaine Edmunds rendered moot by Terrell Bernard.
Dodson, Benford, Douglas, etc., stepping in and stepping up.
Ed Oliver solid.
2023 draft choices Kincaid and lesser extent Torrence panning out.

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
@brian_griffin great post. Regarding the "phases" or "teams" as I call it, here's what I mean.

Form a roster of just those players who will be Bills for the start of the 2025 season (contract through date in parenthesis).

WR: Diggs (28), Shorter (27)
TE: Knox (27)
LT:
LG: McGovern (26)
C: Bates (26)
RG: Torrance (27)
RT:
TE: Kincaid (28)
WR: Shakir (26)
QB: Allen (29)
RB: Cook (26)

DE: Miller (28)
DT: Oliver (28)
NT:
DE: Rousseau (26)
LB: Milano (27), Williams (27)
LB: Bernard (26), Spector (26)
NB:
CB: White (26)
CB: Benford (26), Elam (27)
SS:
FS:

Paints a much different picture for Team 2.

Questions:
- Does Beane re-sign Dawkins?
- Does Beane re-sign Spencer Brown?
- Does Beane extend Douglas and Johnson?
- Does Beane cut White or reduce his pay?
- Does Beane take the contract out with Von Miller after next season?
- Does Beane take the contract out with Diggs after next season?

Without having any answers to those questions, the team needs a lot. Here's what I'd rate them as:

Pressing needs (eg: we don't have a ton of internal options and will need to draft or sign players here):
Defensive Line
Safety

Secondary needs (eg: we have some internal options, the situation may not be the best but we've got players at least or we can extend/restructure current players to meet the need)

Offensive Line (options to re-sign Brown and extend Dawkins)
Cornerback (options to extend Johnson and Douglas)
Wide Receiver (need a X receiver with size and speed)

That's why when I look at mock drafts, and I see Kinchens and Nubin sitting there all the time, I take them. That's why when I see Jordan Morgan there, and I don't know the answer to Dawkins, I take him. If Latu, Verse, or Trice dropped, that needs to be the pick. BPA by tier. Don't reach for a need because that doesn't work well (Elam as case in point).

The Team 2 construct paints the needs in a much different way. That's why I don't get on-board the reactionary "draft a receiver in the 1st" train, because I don't see it as a critical need.

*** And even saying that, I consistently mock Brendan Rice to the Bills in the 2nd round because he's a good X and does everything the Bills need, and the value is BPA at pick 60.

Last edited:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
@Der Jaeger
I knew what you meant re: age or vintage windows. And I realize my examples weren't aligned with that concept. My examples with Bulls and SB era Bills were more like adding a new drink like OJ to the breakfast milk in the fridge vs. buying new milk to replace the week-old which is just starting to smell "not fresh" but not yet "dump it, it's bad".

Thanks for the detail on the key positional "expiration dates" and gaps.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
If any of you have time, take a look at Kinchens and Nubin highlight videos.

Kinchens is more Ed Reed, Nubin is more Steve Atwater.

And while you're at it, take a look at Kinchens safety partner, James Williams. Think Cam Chancellor.

Reactions: Selanne00008

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Doesn’t really matter which one they take. It’s just a name that will get shredded by elite QBs in the playoffs because elite QBs do it to every defense McDermott puts out there. Every year. Healthy or not

Now…the names that do matter are who they’re throwing those balls downfield to. Because one catch last week and we’re probably still playing this weekend.

If Beane sits back and lets almost every team have two cracks at drafting WR before him because “value of later picks in a deep WR draft” we have a giant f***ing problem. We don’t need to best value we can get in the 60s...or on day f***ing 3 like he’s been doing it.

We need the best WR he can get PERIOD. Because Diggs has fallen off a cliff in the second half of the year two years running. They need someone capable of being a 2 for 8 weeks…and a 1 for 9+. Something I would never put on a rookie…but hey…had to have Elam. Had to have Basham. Now…gotta have those safeties right? Gotta have em. It’s not like the best tandem we’ve ever had were a middling signing from Green Bay and a cheap signing from Cleveland. No. Couldn’t be,

Get the WR fixed…Or this all goes away. But at least they’ll have that defense that doesn’t mean a goddamned thing when the biggest game comes around.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
It’s time for this front office to admit the truth and build the team the right way. They shouldn’t be loading up McDermott’s defense for the playoffs. They should be loading up Allen’s weapons to overcome McDermott’s defense in the playoffs.

And they have a giant WR problem. Bigger than any position on the team by far. Because the passing game is the only way they’re going to win the game they keep losing. And we have sent John Brown/Cole Beasley off the couch and Trent Sherfield and Deonte Harty this year into a losing battle.

Im tired of losing the battle. Get wide receivers.

Reactions: buffa dud

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

And while you're at it, take a look at Kinchens safety partner, James Williams. Think Cam Chancellor.
Kinchens worries me as he gets absolutely lost in coverage often and with how much McDermott relies on safeties, I can't imagine he puts a rookie in there that needs to learn.

Reactions: Husko

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
It’s time for this front office to admit the truth and build the team the right way. They shouldn’t be loading up McDermott’s defense for the playoffs. They should be loading up Allen’s weapons to overcome McDermott’s defense in the playoffs.

And they have a giant WR problem. Bigger than any position on the team by far. Because the passing game is the only way they’re going to win the game they keep losing. And we have sent John Brown/Cole Beasley off the couch and Trent Sherfield and Deonte Harty this year into a losing battle.

Im tired of losing the battle. Get wide receivers.
Your position is ridiculously extreme. If the Bills got one more stop on defense it'd have been the same as replacing one of the drops with a catch. It's certainly more than possible they don't get smashed in the run game with, say, Bernard and Milano.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Your position is ridiculously extreme. If the Bills got one more stop on defense it'd have been the same as replacing one of the drops with a catch. It's certainly more than possible they don't get smashed in the run game with, say, Bernard and Milano.
This isn’t the first defense an elite QB has Had its way with in the playoffs under McDermott

Its the fourth straight year. Were they injured all those games too? No. You aren’t going to stop Mahomes in the playoffs. Burrow got in there and blasted it too. Because they’re excellent players and we’ve been running in this circle for years.

But let’s look specifically at the game where we didn’t complete one pass over 15 yards and KC averaged like 9 yards a play. How many pieces do you have to get right on defense to get that one stop? Because I know I just needed either Sherfield or Diggs to catch the ball. Three? Five? Ignoring that the last three years the defense couldn’t get stops either? Or that Mahomes will just make a play on the next down since we almost never got to THIRD DOWN let alone off the field?

Ask yourself a question and be serious about it. On draft night if you’re a contender in the AFC and Beane sinks his millionth asset into pass rusher in round 1. What is your reaction? I think you chuckle, say thank god and never think of it again. How about corner to cover his last first round botch? Maybe less of a laugh but I don’t care about it at all. Safety? Please. PLEASE I’d say invest a first round pick in a safety. That’s hysterical to me.

Now insert a great WR prospect into that pick. Someone who can play outside and get open. I’ve already had a hell of a time stopping Allen with just Diggs out there. Now I have to account for 2 outside weapons, Shakir, Cook and Kincaid doing stuff all over the middle…and Allen can run?

Now I’m paying attention. Because the offense can dictate everything. Gabe Davis has covered himself for two years. Diggs vanished the back half of the year.

Ridiculous? No. extreme? Sorry, no.

Their position on this has been ridiculous and extreme. They drafted the second best player in the world and wait until day 3s to pick WRs. They have a guy who can literally almost beat the defending Super Bowl champions by himself…and the only first round WR he’s ever thrown to is Kelvin Benjamin. They ask him to put up over 80% of their scores…and his help is cheap free agents and day three dart throws.

Anything but a full on commitment to wide receiver is a waste of everyone’s time. Most importantly, Allen’s.

Reactions: buffa dud

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
As time has passed, what has lingered as my main frustration is that Kansas City called a defense that played right into Buffalo's hands on that 2nd and 9 for the time remaining and the game situation. They called a deep shell, and the Bills had Diggs running the perfect route uncovered against that defense for an easy first down over the middle to both keep the clock running and get a new set of downs inside the 20. I would argue it should have been the first read against the defense KC played on that down. Lower degree of difficulty, doesn't require the line to hold up, etc. He could have hit Kincaid on the 3rd down play and he would have had a chance (certainly not guaranteed) to get the first down as well.

Say what you will about the defense, but even as banged up they made a play after the fake punt to get the ball back, then came up with stops on consecutive sets of downs after the first one was negated by a bullshit pass interference penalty when the offense had to punt again. The offense had the game in their hands inside of 2 minutes after their previous 2 drives were punts and simply didn't get it done and it had a lot to do with questionable decision making. As much as it hurts to say, I can't see Mahomes leaving that on the field.

The idea the Bills got outcoached in this game is frankly bullshit. Kansas City's defense was poorly called on those last two downs, and the Bills had players in the correct position to punish them for it. They didn't execute.

Last edited:

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021

The Bills have had the best safety tandem in franchise history, and arguably the best safety tandem in the league over the last five years. It hasn't stopped Higgins, or Chase, or Kelce. And if you take a look at the market recently, which we saw first-hand when Poyer went to test FA, a good safety can be had without breaking the bank. That doesn't hold true for wide-receivers these days, so if you're going to spend that first-round pick with a guaranteed fifth-year option, you're smart to use it on an asset that would otherwise cost you $$$$$ in free agency. Safety that is not.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
The Giants’ decision to extend quarterback Daniel Jones last offseason rather than star running back Saquon Barkley was Big Blue’s biggest storyline heading into the 2023-24 season.

Jones, of course, received a new four-year, $160 million deal, and Barkley was forced to play under the one-year franchise tag after a long offseason of tense back-and-forth negotiations.

Pass rusher Kayvon Thibodeaux gave his opinion on the matter on the latest episode of the 7PM in Brooklyn podcast with Carmelo Anthony and The Kid Mero, which aired on Thursday morning.

While Thibodeaux has full faith in Jones as Big Blue’s quarterback of the future, he feels the star running back should’ve received an extension first.

“I believe in Daniel Jones, what I’m mad at is Saquon,” Thibodeaux said. “If you look at the games and the tape, Saquon is responsible for at least 30 percent of our explosive plays that year we won the playoff game.

“For me and the integrity of working together and hard work and we all believe the same things, I feel like Saquon should’ve gotten paid first.”
link

I've been saying this for a long time. In neglecting to prioritize Saquon ahead of Daniel Jones, Schoen made a dire mistake that can never fully be accounted for. But it may just cost them their jobs.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Conversely, two days after a season-ending loss, it does no service to players (whether they are signed or pending UFAs) nor fans to declare it's time to blow it up. A statement like that would throw gasoline on the post-loss fire. It's media relations 101.

Beane also talked about how they are approaching the cap over the long haul and how the roughly $30M setback due to the pandemic has affected things. But, he said that they are trying to avoid a blow it up reset anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad