Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
The progression on that play likely was a high to low read.

Shakir being open means that Allen never got to Diggs on that play.

The lack of knowledge of how plays are designed and what the read progression is supposed to be lead fans and media alike to guess on what QBs should have done on certain plays.

It's not like Allen looked at Diggs first, turned down the pass to him, and then looked to Shakir and then threw the ball.
I mean, coverages should dictate reads to an extent too. That's what the great ones do. You're right though that we're all just guessing. The 3rd down was the more egregious miss/case of hero ball for sure.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Also, a crazy statistic. Allen has the lowest interception percentage in NFL history in playoff games. Of all time. For all QBs ever! It may be with a minimum of 5 starts, but that is wild
I read that before the game last Sunday. Allen was 1.1%, next best was Rogers at 1.3 or 1.4% and Brady was 2.1% or something like that.

After reading that, I listened to the talking heads (ESPN drive-home show? Harry and whomever) where the guy who doesn't have the great voice was saying he's not taking the Bills because Allen is a turnover machine. ORLY?

After this past week's game, Allen's playoffs interceptions per attempt ratio is 1.06%, with 7 of 10 playoff games without an INT.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I read that before the game last Sunday. Allen was 1.1%, next best was Rogers at 1.3 or 1.4% and Brady was 2.1% or something like that.

After reading that, I listened to the talking heads (ESPN drive-home show? Harry and whomever) where the guy who doesn't have the great voice was saying he's not taking the Bills because Allen is a turnover machine. ORLY?

After this past week's game, Allen's playoffs interceptions per attempt ratio is 1.06%, with 7 of 10 playoff games without an INT.
Yeah I posted it before the game here.

I didn't know it was the lowest in history, just because I didn't know where to go to get a comparison (Mahomes is not far away from him, either), but yeah. 6 total turnovers in 10 games now is fantastic ball security.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
He's not playing he's coaching :laugh:

Likely going to be Brady, but what about getting Bieniemy (associate coach.off coordinator)
I still think McDermott is doing too much.

Bienemy would've been a great add if the team crashed and burned at the end of the season, but I don't see Brady not getting the spot. But Bienemy as an associate head coach? Would he want that? Would that screw things up?

Rivera as the DC would be a good move. He's coached nearly every form of defense and could add some wrinkles.

Bills definitely need their version of the elite DC, not McDermott filling in.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
I still think McDermott is doing too much.

Bienemy would've been a great add if the team crashed and burned at the end of the season, but I don't see Brady not getting the spot. But Bienemy as an associate head coach? Would he want that? Would that screw things up?

Rivera as the DC would be a good move. He's coached nearly every form of defense and could add some wrinkles.

Bills definitely need their version of the elite DC, not McDermott filling in.
I referenced associate coach more for the fact coaches are not allowed lateral moves.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
If I'm taking a super early swing at a draft, with the Bills in the range of drafting 29-32, here's what I'd be thinking, based on current lists:

1st) I really, really like Jordan Morgan, the OT from Arizona. He tore his right ACL last year. If he's healthy, I think he'll be available around the end of the 1st round. Amarius Mims might be there as well.

2nd) I mock across a bunch of different platforms, and the name that pops here continually is McKinnley Jackson, the DT from Texas A&M. He's a bowling ball of a DT who can be a true NT. He's got an arrest at Texas A&M which needs to be checked out, but if he clears, he's an anchor on the defense.

3rd) Bryce Foster is another Texas A&M player who pops off the lists for me in the 3rd round. He's got a chance to test like Creed Humphries, and will likely have a high RAS.

A day 1-2 of the draft which looks like that would reset the Bills OL and give some DT help. Obviously these thoughts are without the benefit of a full season, combine, and draft process, and also doesn't take into account BPA (which is a function of it being September). But this is the type of draft I'd look at if I were Beane.
From back in September. Morgan was my choice then and my choice now. Mims trended up and is out of reach for the Bills.

Jackson hasn't held as a 2nd round pick, but if he's there at 99 I'd take him. Great value.

Foster didn't declare for the draft.

I'd adjust to:
1. Jordan Morgan, OT Arizona
2. Brendan Rice, WR USC
3. McKinnley Jackson, DT Texas A&M

If Dawkins re-signs or re-negotiates, then I'd look at one of the 2 safeties.

Last edited:

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021

I'm here for the turnover conversation:

Bagel

Jul 31, 2002
NYC
Visit site
From back in September. Morgan was my choice then and my choice now. Mims trended up and is out of reach for the Bills.

Jackson hasn't held as a 2nd round pick, but if he's there at 99 I'd take him. Great value.

Foster didn't declare for the draft.

I'd adjust to:
1. Jordan Morgan, OT Arizona
2. Brendan Rice, WR USC
3. McKinnley Jackson, DT Texas A&M

If Dawkins re-signs or re-negotiates, then I'd look at one of the 2 safeties.
I'd sign up for these picks right now - but I'm dubious that Morgan lasts to 28.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Re: OC.

I'm fine with Brady coming back and am fine with him getting the job.

But I also feel like not doing a real search and interview process would be a disservice to the Bills. The line to be Josh Allen's OC should go from OP to Niagara Falls. Let's get all the top OC candidates around the league in the building and hear what they have to say. Eric Bienemy. Kellen Moore. Zac Robinson. Klint Kubiak. Thomas Brown. Heck, I'd bring in a bevy of college minds too. Let's just hear what they have to say. If it's still Brady, fine. I have no objections. But we have a lucrative opening and there's lots of talent around the league. Let's bring it in!

Related, if he doesn't land a OC job, I'd love AVP as QB coach. Brings the Shanahan scheme background McDermott covets. Has previously worked with Josh Freeman, Aaron Rodgers, Andy Dalton, Baker Mayfield, and Deshaun Watson. And he's not young. Maybe he could be that older coach in the room that some feel Allen has been missing since Daboll left. Would be a top tier hire.

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Looking at the Chiefs injury report this week and last week, and Im convinced a good portion of winning it all is being lucky enough to not sustain a ton of injuries. If the injury reports were reversed, we'd be on our way to Baltimore. Just sucks, man!

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario

A good video to watch. He brings up the Bills not having a #1 receiver on the team

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Their position on this has been ridiculous and extreme. They drafted the second best player in the world and wait until day 3s to pick WRs. They have a guy who can literally almost beat the defending Super Bowl champions by himself…and the only first round WR he’s ever thrown to is Kelvin Benjamin. They ask him to put up over 80% of their scores…and his help is cheap free agents and day three dart throws.

Anything but a full on commitment to wide receiver is a waste of everyone’s time. Most importantly, Allen’s.
And yet.....KC hasn't drafted a WR in the first round since Jon Baldwin in 2011......and have only heavily monetarily invested in Kelce at TE as far as "help" for Mahomes goes.

I love Josh Allen......but if he needs 1st round WRs.......he's not the 2nd best QB in the NFL. Mahomes has won SBs with a non-full commitment to WRs. Brady won SBs with a non-full commitment to WRs.

Mahomes has Kelce. Brady had Gronk. Josh now has Kincaid.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I have this weird feeling that two of Neal, Lewis and Taron are gunna be starters next year
Lewis makes sense. He played well enough to at least earn the chance to compete for the FS spot.

Neal recorded 45 defensive snaps this year (with 31 coming in blowouts where we pulled starters). For comparison, Kendal Vickers recorded 62. And this is despite the secondary and LBs (he's a tweener between the two, right?) being ravaged by injuries. McDermott doesn't trust him to do anything on defense. Hopefully they cut him and his bloated contract.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Revisiting the Brady-Manning rivalary, though, because I do think it's worth pointing out (especially now that I've had a chance to look through the record books):

*In the eleven times Manning went to the post-season, he only faced Brady three times. Allen has faced Mahomes three times through five separate trips to the post-season.

*Manning lost to the Patriots twice by a cumulative score of 44-17 (-27 DIFF.) Josh has lost to the Chiefs three times, now, by a cumulative score of 107-84 (-23 DIFF).

*In the one post-game Manning won against Brady, he accounted for one passing touchdown, and one rushing touchdown. Josh has scored a total of two, four and three touchdowns, respectively, against Reids' Chiefs. (He has one interception and zero fumbles lost, total, for those keeping track of turnovers.)

*In the one season Manning won a Super Bowl with the Colts, he accounted for three passing touchdowns, one rushing touchdown and seven interceptions. Total. I feel obligated to repeat myself, because it is that ridiculous to read out loud. Four games played. Three passing touchdowns. One rushing touchdown. Seven interceptions.

EDIT: Manning had 32 post-season touchdowns through 19 games played with the Colts. Allen has 26 post-season touchdowns through 10 games played with the Bills.

--------------------

My point is this: just keep getting into the playoffs (preferably with the first seed.) Something's gotta give.

And one more thing, gotta love them narratives!

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
They have to interview a minority candidate before anyone can be made DC. If they had intentions on filing to role at all thats step 1.

and hey…they’re interviewing Sean Desai according to Rappaport.

Could be a Babich promotion. Could hire from outside. Technically still could do nothing...but it would be weird. Anyway they go the interview opens to door to having a DC of some kind this year.

Washington leaving gives a clear path for Babich to be promoted. Washington was the guy who was named assistant…and the guy sent out to do media on DC days. Would have been a bit of a thing for him to be passed over…and now it isn’t.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
They have to interview a minority candidate before anyone can be made DC. If they had intentions on filing to role at all thats step 1.

and hey…they’re interviewing Sean Desai according to Rappaport.

Could be a Babich promotion. Could hire from outside. Technically still could do nothing...but it would be weird. Anyway they go the interview opens to door to having a DC of some kind this year.

Washington leaving gives a clear path for Babich to be promoted. Washington was the guy who was named assistant…and the guy sent out to do media on DC days. Would have been a bit of a thing for him to be passed over…and now it isn’t.
They’re interviewing Desai. And I’m sure they gave Washington an interview. Holcomb also likely in the running and likely to get an interview. Minority interviews shouldn’t be hard for them.

I’d love them to bring in a DC from a different scheme to meld with McDermotts. I said last year the scheme felt stale. There was some innovation this year, but I still think we need some different pitches in the absence. Michigans DC is leaving to explore NFL opportunities. Probably Chargers, but I’d love to get a college coach in the building with some fresh scheme ideas.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Revisiting the Brady-Manning rivalary, though, because I do think it's worth pointing out (especially now that I've had a chance to look through the record books):

*In the eleven times Manning went to the post-season, he only faced Brady three times. Allen has faced Mahomes three times through five separate trips to the post-season.

*Manning lost to the Patriots twice by a cumulative score of 44-17 (-27 DIFF.) Josh has lost to the Chiefs three times, now, by a cumulative score of 107-84 (-23 DIFF).

*In the one post-game Manning won against Brady, he accounted for one passing touchdown, and one rushing touchdown. Josh has scored a total of two, four and three touchdowns, respectively, against Reids' Chiefs. (He has one interception and zero fumbles lost, total, for those keeping track of turnovers.)

*In the one season Manning won a Super Bowl with the Colts, he accounted for three passing touchdowns, one rushing touchdown and seven interceptions. Total. I feel obligated to repeat myself, because it is that ridiculous to read out loud. Four games played. Three passing touchdowns. One rushing touchdown. Seven interceptions.

EDIT: Manning had 32 post-season touchdowns through 19 games played with the Colts. Allen has 26 post-season touchdowns through 10 games played with the Bills.

--------------------

My point is this: just keep getting into the playoffs (preferably with the first seed.) Something's gotta give.

And one more thing, gotta love them narratives!
My favorite narrative right now is it's Allen's fault they haven't made the SB. Ive seen a few posts about the QBs he's beaten to prove he cant get over the hump. Doesnt the man have a top-5 QB rating ever in the playoffs whils also throwing an insanely lpw amount of picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad