Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
And yet.....KC hasn't drafted a WR in the first round since Jon Baldwin in 2011......and have only heavily monetarily invested in Kelce at TE as far as "help" for Mahomes goes.

I love Josh Allen......but if he needs 1st round WRs.......he's not the 2nd best QB in the NFL. Mahomes has won SBs with a non-full commitment to WRs. Brady won SBs with a non-full commitment to WRs.

Mahomes has Kelce. Brady had Gronk. Josh now has Kincaid.
To be fair, Mahomes could use a 1st round receiver. If they keep trotting out what they have, he is going to explode in rage

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
My favorite narrative right now is it's Allen's fault they haven't made the SB. Ive seen a few posts about the QBs he's beaten to prove he cant get over the hump. Doesnt the man have a top-5 QB rating ever in the playoffs whils also throwing an insanely lpw amount of picks?
If anything it's McDermotts and Beane's fault. Too much focus on the defense in league that focuses on offense.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
If anything it's McDermotts and Beane's fault. Too much focus on the defense in league that focuses on offense.
In general I've never minded focusing on the defense. Because that's the one thing Josh Allen can't help you with.

O-line is struggling? You have a QB who can extend plays and still salvage something out of it.
Can't run it? You have a QB who can run it.
WRs suck? You have a QB who can still fire balls into tight windows.

But Allen can't keep the other team from scoring points. He can't sack the other QB, tackle them when they run, cover their receivers, etc. But I think this season is showing Allen needs a little more help than he's got right now. Another receiver would be huge.

(And to be fair, last draft the top 2 picks were both on offense, and one of their bigger free agent acquisitions was McGovern, also for offense...so I do think that Beane/McDermott understand this...)

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Meh. They dont make the playoffs without the defense stepping up in the second half of the season. I'd even say, they probably dont make the playoffs without the Douglas addition.
It's great the defense got them to the playoffs. Come playoffs they showed once again that unless Allen plays out of his mind the offense struggles. They don't have to weapons on offense to win a Super Bowl. They desperately need a speedy no 1 WR that is great at YAC.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Tom Brady - 15 postseason games with 3+ TDs
Patrick Mahomes - 9 postseason games with 3+ TDs
Peyton Manning - 6 postseason games with 3+ TDs
Josh Allen - 5 postseason games with 3+ TDs
Drew Brees - 5 postseason games with 3+ TDs
Joe Flacco - 4 postseason games with 3+ TDs
Philip Rivers - 3 postseason games with 3+ TDs
Eli Manning - 2 postseason games with 2+ TDs
Lamar Jackson - 1 postseason game with 3+ TDs
Joe Burrow - 0 postseason games with 3+ TDs

If you're asking why three, that's just where I drew the line. I feel like if you put up four, five or six offensive touchdowns, there's something going on there that I don't feel like exploring (e.g. turnovers and field position battles.) It's also not something that presents itself very often in football history*.

Conversely, most quarterbacks in NFL history have scored one or two touchdowns in a playoff game. And it's not necessarily a benchmark that lends itself to postseason wins. In other words, you can score two offensive touchdowns in a game, and still not win that game.

*Patrick Mahomes - 4 postseason games with 4+ TDs
*Josh Allen - 3 postseason games with 4+ TDs
*Tom Brady - 3 postseason games with 4+ TDs
*Peyton Manning - 2 postseason games with 4+ TDs

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
As expected:

1706470352155.png

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Joe Brady got the interim tag removed.

There is a bit of a concern over passing rate after he took over…but I am fine chalking it up to Beane’s poor roster construction. He had to find production where players who could make plays were…and they were not downfield. As evidenced by the Chiefs game. When Allen threw they dropped it

Reactions: buffa dud

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Joe Brady got the interim tag removed.

There is a bit of a concern over passing rate after he took over…but I am fine chalking it up to Beane’s poor roster construction. He had to find production where players who could make plays were…and they were not downfield. As evidenced by the Chiefs game. When Allen threw they dropped it
The Bills ran the ball more than any team after Brady took over as OC.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The Bills ran the ball more than any team after Brady took over as OC.
I think that's what Ace is talking about. And there is a concern that maybe the Bills ran a bit TOO much under Brady.

But jeez, the run game was effective under Brady. If it continues to be that effective......I'm good with it, especially if it reduces Allen's turnovers some.

Reactions: buffa dud

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Fine with the Brady hire. Nothing wrong with the outcome. And I think he will be good. But,

I wish the process and procedure to get there was better. As I said before, could've had anyone we want. Should've interviewed some real candidates and learned much as we could. Not the biggest deal in the world, but surely Eric Bienemy would've been interesting to at least talk to.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Fine with the Brady hire. Nothing wrong with the outcome. And I think he will be good. But,

I wish the process and procedure to get there was better. As I said before, could've had anyone we want. Should've interviewed some real candidates and learned much as we could. Not the biggest deal in the world, but surely Eric Bienemy would've been interesting to at least talk to.
It'll be interesting to see who we get to be QB coach. Do we bring someone outside the organization in or promote Mangas like @Jim Bob was speculating on.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Nobody is wondering why the Giants traded him now. :laugh:

Alex Van Pelt is my favorite option. Brings different scheme, OC experience, and a superb QB coach resume. That's assuming he doesn't get a OC gig, though.
I had the same thought when I saw AVP getting let go in Cleveland. I think they could potentially try and get Thad Lewis if he wants out of TB if he gets passed up for their OC job.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
I think that's what Ace is talking about. And there is a concern that maybe the Bills ran a bit TOO much under Brady.

But jeez, the run game was effective under Brady. If it continues to be that effective......I'm good with it, especially if it reduces Allen's turnovers some.
He also gave Allen easy throws in early downs to keep the offense out of 3rd and long scenarios. I'm ready to see Brady implement his complete offense as the full-time OC.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

I feel like the run game was inconsistent though. You had games like the Dallas game where we ran over them, meanwhile the Chargers game was rough and the KC playoff game was a tale of two halves.

But also, we know he was using Dorsey's playbook, there's only so many changes you can do mid-season. So what bigger changes he brings will be the question.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Not a fan, wanted a proven guy. Hopefully he proves me wrong next year.
Understandable, but proven, successful OCs get head coaching jobs these days. Hence why Belichik, Vrabel, Fangio, Spagnola and Anarumo are either defensive coordinators or not coaching at all. It's not something I agree with, because I don't like head coaches calling plays (I believe that's what coordinators are responsible for) but that seems to be the state of it.

Reactions: EichHart
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad