Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Question for the fantasy football players here: what are y'all doing for defense this week?

I have CIN, but I'm debating picking up WAS or IND. I feel like the Steelers offer a safe floor, but not a massive ceiling--they're just gonna punt a lot and put up 13ish points. My concern there is if Browning struggles, turns the ball over more than he has the last few games, and Pittsburgh's defense gives their offense enough short fields to put up more points.

Washington's defense has been pretty bad all season, but they should be alright going up against Siemian if Wilson is out. I think Indy would be fairly safe, also, but Heinicke's not as terrible as Ridder. If GB's defense wasn't so atrocious, I'd snag them since they're playing CAR, but Joe Barry has been a disaster.
For a while, I was just going with whoever played the Jets. Seemed to work out well!

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Some things not to take for granted this week.

Cross country trip/travel, on top of short Holiday week (not always an easy subject for the Bill's)
New coach bump
Players playing for jobs, contracts, money
Keenan Allen close to leading in catches (Note: DNP Tuesday-heel)
Khalil Mack (Note: DNP Tues-Vet rest)
Derwin James (7 picks)

-----

Screen Shot 2023-12-20 at 2.31.50 PM.png

Last edited:

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Excellent for Cook.

And Isaiah... what in the ass, man? I always thought he was just a stand-up guy. To see him essentially kicked off the team is more than a little surprising. Especially given the league he plays in.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Good lord. Now I'm even more curious. Just what the hell did they do?

Btw no Stroud again for Houston on Sunday . Don't mess this up Cleveland.
Who we want to win that game really depends on what you're looking for. A Houston win means we control our own destiny - a Cleveland win does not.

However, a Cleveland win probably gives us a better chance to sneak in at 10-7 - this isn't a guarentee though with all the moving pieces in the South. It also could mean Cleveland would be locked into the 5 seed for a game we'd need them to win against Cincy week 18.

Last edited:

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Pickens' comments about self-preservation are initially jarring. But when you think about how the NFL treats its employees, he's actually 100% justified. And the owners, GMs and coaches only have themselves to blame for it.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Miami has played 3 opponents who are considered elite or top teams this season: Buffalo, KC, and Philadephia. They are 0-3 in those games. And they've got games against Dallas and Baltimore coming up.

And Buffalo will be playing for their playoffs. Miami will already be in. I think the motivation on Miami's side won't be as great.

I am much more worried about the bills laying an egg vs LA or New England than I am about Miami going 2-0 vs Dallas/Baltimore. Dallas is going to be pissed about last week and Baltimore is still pissed about their game last year.

Especially given Miami's extensive injury issues currently

If I had to pick one, I'd say Dallas over Miami is the most likely. The injury issues on Miami's o-line vs the Dallas d-line is going to be a problem. And unless Miami gets a big lead and force Dallas's offense to be one dimensional like we did, I don't think they will be able to.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I don't think they've got that many needs. Starting lineup with no re-signings or rookies:

WR: Shakir, Harty
WR: Diggs, Shorter
LT: Dawkins, Van Demark
LG: McGovern, Bates
C: Morse
RG: Torrence, Anderson
RT: Brown
TE: Knox, Davidson
TE: Kincaid
QB: Allen
RB: Cook, Hines, Gilliam

LE: Rousseau
DT: Oliver
NT:
RE: Miller, Jonathan
LB: Bernard, Spector
LB: Milano, Williams
NB: Johnson, Neal
CB: Douglas, Elam
CB: Benford, White
SS: Poyer, Hamlin
FS:

If the Bills re-structure basically everyone with the option to do so on Spotrac, they'll have around $20M in cap space, with around $10M for veterans. The above list has 19 offensive players and 16 defensive players. They'll need 9 defenders and 6 offensive players to fill our the rosters. 10 of them are likely to be rookies, leaving about $10M for 5 players.

They key spots needed are S and DT, with some attention needed at DE and WR. They'll likely use the veteran money to go after those positions.

So I see nothing wrong with investing in the future with offensive line. The Bills OL has been healthy all year and we're seeing the results. Morse and Dawkins will 33 and 31 when time comes to re-sign or replace. I've got no interest in re-signing either at that age. I've got no interest in plugging in rookies. I've got no interest in playing for high dollar players as replacements.
I see a lot of needs there, specifically:
-Starters: WR, 1-Tech, DE (if they cut Von), SS, FS
-Rotational/Priority Backup: RB, OT, DE, 3-Tech, 1-Tech, LB, SS, FS

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Even if Miller is back, I don't see how they can count on him being starter quality.

I think SS is going to be Poyer again next year.

What happens with Dodson will be really interesting given how this season plays out.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I think a key part of the off-season will be trying to file those holes on defense with second and third tier free agents. The Bills pro personnel scouts have been pretty damn good under Beane, they need to have a good off-season.

But this off-season and next I think our big draft picks (first two rounds) have to be on the offensive and defensive line, while also grabbing a WR

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I differ from the board on WR. I don't see it as a huge need. I'd allocate no more than a 2nd round pick to the position unless someone elite fell to the Bills.

Reactions: buffalowing88

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Even if Miller is back, I don't see how they can count on him being starter quality.

What happens with Dodson will be really interesting given how this season plays out.

Poyer has really improved as the season's gone along. He's under contract next year and it's not for much, all things considered. I'd be interested in keeping him and transitioning Tre or Benford into the FS role, with the other starting at CB alongside Douglas.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I differ from the board on WR. I don't see it as a huge need. I'd allocate no more than a 2nd round pick to the position unless someone elite fell to the Bills.

Agreed. Kincaid needs to be getting even more targets next year and I see him as the "No. 2" receiver. Shakir is dependable and may evolve into a larger role. I'd like to see someone who could stretch the field some, like Sanders the year we had him or John Brown in a very specific role.

Otherwise, though, there's not much else to address. Knox and Cook are going to be getting targets, too.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I have to say- this is one of the more enticing Josh Allen led Bills teams. I honestly think if they make it in- they are going on a run. Three reasons why I'm super optimistic about this team:

1) The O line- Wow! What can I say? They've been an absolute unit the past few weeks. There have been multiple runs over the past few weeks where they push the pile a few extra yards. They're giving Allen time.

2) James Cook. Geez. He is a GAMEBREAKER. True #1 back. And, they have such a unique blend of players in the RB room.

3) The defensive line. Pray there aren't any injuries to this group because they are going to be the healthiest they've been in the past two season. If Jones can get back into game shape by the playoffs, then watch out. That's a unit that can bring us to the promise land.

Oh, and that Brady guy isn't so bad at calling plays.

A complete 180 from last year at this time. My dad and I didn't even go to the Bengals game last year because the writing was on the wall. I AM hyped for these playoffs assuming we make it.

Finally, I walked by a coworker who is a Dolphins fan. I said 'Week 18 is going to be a war' and he responded grumpily with 'I don't want to talk about it'. I have a feeling a lot of their fans have some doom and gloom in the pit of their stomachs. They thought they had us dead to rights, but there's a cold breeze coming from the northeast. A storm is brewing, and I think a lot of teams are starting to feel a chill on their bones!

*Knowing Buffalo luck, they'll lose to the Pats, and I'll do a complete 180 in two weeks, haha*

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
The reason a WR is a need for me is it’s the best way to get a high end speed guy, which is something I feel is missing and would be awesome with Brady. It’s not so much we are missing a pass catcher (diggs, cook, Kincaid, Knox, and Shakir are a solid top 5 options), but a speed guy Brady could scheme open. And high end ones typically need to be drafted

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Poyer has really improved as the season's gone along. He's under contract next year and it's not for much, all things considered. I'd be interested in keeping him and transitioning Tre or Benford into the FS role, with the other starting at CB alongside Douglas.

Absolutely not. Benford has done nothing but grow in the CB2 role. And at his age, there's still plenty of room for him to grow. The only reason we're not talking about him as a prospective CB1 is because he was a 6th round draft pick.

What about Spector?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

re: Poyer, me too. I don't think they can afford to replace both safeties in one season.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Absolutely not. Benford has done nothing but grow in the CB2 role. And at his age, there's still plenty of room for him to grow. The only reason we're not talking about him as a prospective CB1 is because he was a 6th round draft pick.

What about Spector?

I agree, I just know he has experience at the position already and think it's going to be an awkward fit trying to put White, Douglas, and him into the top two corner spots. I'm entirely comfortable with Jackson as the number three guy and who knows if Elam turns things around to at least be replacement-level depth next year.

Ideally, White plays FS and extends his career/justifies his contract. Realistically, we move on from him and sign an FA safety or draft one because Rapp certainly ain't it.

I don't know much about Spector. If he's a viable option I'm certainly interested!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad