Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
the track record of first round wr is not all that good. You have just as much chance outside the first roun
Not really.

There have been multiple drafts lately where only 1 or 2 WR1/WR2 level guys fall outside the top 50 picks. And with the Bills hopefully picking late in the 2nd round, the odds of getting a high quality WR on Day 2 could drop quite a bit.

If it is a 50% chance of a 1st round WR living up to the pick, it is 10% or less that a later WR pick works out big time.

Davis is a great example. He is a decent WR for where he was picked and he hasn't been good enough to be a big time WR2 with Diggs on the other side.

Reactions: buffa dud

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Surprised you're out on Nabers. He's elite with the ball in his hands, which fits your desire for a horizontal timing offense well. He's my #2 in the WR class, a cut above Odunze.

I don't watch a lot of (any) college, but I do love to watch highlights once the draft is closer. Malik Nabers is now on my "add" list. His YAC potential looks special.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Surprised you're out on Nabers. He's elite with the ball in his hands, which fits your desire for a horizontal timing offense well. He's my #2 in the WR class, a cut above Odunze.
Nabers fits the diva receiver mold. Not interested. He’s a future headache the Bills don’t need.
The taking Diggs away stuff doesn't jive with all the drops lately. The significant drop in catch% is really worrisome to me more than the drop in targets.
Of the things which go for receivers, hands are usually later on. I think it’s more to do with something other than aging. What that is, no idea.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Not really.

There have been multiple drafts lately where only 1 or 2 WR1/WR2 level guys fall outside the top 50 picks. And with the Bills hopefully picking late in the 2nd round, the odds of getting a high quality WR on Day 2 could drop quite a bit.

If it is a 50% chance of a 1st round WR living up to the pick, it is 10% or less that a later WR pick works out big time.

Davis is a great example. He is a decent WR for where he was picked and he hasn't been good enough to be a big time WR2 with Diggs on the other side.
How are you measuring it? It’s not 50% of a 1st round “ hitting” unless you are measuring someone staying around the league filling a receiver role. How much are you factoring in things like injuries or legal problems like with Ruggs.

in an nhl draft…I still look at a top 10 pick being a bust if they don’t live up to what you expect Drafting there.

For example Thomas Hickey was a top 5 pick. He had a long nhl career but he wasn’t a core player. He would have been a great pick if he was picked outside top 100.

in todays NFL due to team control periods you expect a top half 1st round pick to start from day 1, a later 1st/ early 2nd you figure by mid year. 3rd and beyond they might have part time back up roles in year 1 but year 2 they may improve. Because of this you might have players you think are good but aren’t all that special just because of their situation/ system.

in drafting teams tend to draft to fill certain roles like a big/tall receiver, speed/ stretch receiver, slot receiver, etc.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Nabers fits the diva receiver mold. Not interested. He’s a future headache the Bills don’t need.

Of the things which go for receivers, hands are usually later on. I think it’s more to do with something other than aging. What that is, no idea.
What gives you that impression?

I don't watch a lot of (any) college, but I do love to watch highlights once the draft is closer. Malik Nabers is now on my "add" list. His YAC potential looks special.
Agreed, unfortunately I doubt he gets to us. He's probably second WR off the board, going in the 5-10 range.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
What gives you that impression?

Agreed, unfortunately I doubt he gets to us. He's probably second WR off the board, going in the 5-10 range.
Poor effort when he’s not the primary receiver, poor effort blocking, not a lot of sharpness in his vertical route tree.

Not direct signs but I’ve seen enough to know.

Andre Reed and James Lofton were huge divas but Kelly’s ego surpassed them. So folks didn’t see it until after Kelly retired, with Reed in particular. But Reed was also a big effort guy and he blocked.

I saw enough diva receivers at the pro level to know what the signs are. If he doesn’t care enough to block or run routes when he isn’t getting the ball, I’m not particularly interested.

Edit: as an aside, the absolute worst practice player on the Bills…. The one who didn’t do the team conditioning drill and no on corrected him or made him accountable was……. Thurman Thomas. Bennett was second.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo44

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The taking Diggs away stuff doesn't jive with all the drops lately. The significant drop in catch% is really worrisome to me more than the drop in targets.

I think it’s probably a symptom of his drop in targets. Teams spend a ton of time is taking away diggs. I am reasonable sure that Brady is essentially going to keep throwing to cook/kincaid until teams rotate their coverage away from diggs then they’ll hit diggs.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Here's why I think what I think about receiver:

- Great receivers can be found in rounds 2-4. Unless you're getting an elite receiver (Harrison this season, as an example), just wait.
- The Bills are going 12 personnel in the future, and they've already got an elite #1, a good slot guy in Shakir (who is getting better and who I think can be a lot more than a slot receiver), and a very interesting project receiver in Shorter.
- The #2 receiver in the Bills offense isn't a priority position. Davis has done next to nothing aside from block for weeks, and we've watched the Bills win and put up points.
- Whether the Bills go 11 or 12 personnel, the #2 receiver needs to be a vertical threat. Brady just needs to get a player who can beat coverage deep and catch the ball. That doesn't require spending a ton of assets to acquire.

I've been high on Rice because he's a pure outside receiver who can stretch the field vertically and has great hands. But if that's the ask for the offense (and it is), then McMillan, Worthy, Franklin, and Burton could all do that job without allocating a 1st to the position.

There's no way I'm using a 1st round pick on a receiver, aside from Harrison falling, when there's the combination of other greater needs (now and in the future), and receivers who could fill the role available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
I easily use ours if Coleman is available, his contested catch ability is elite.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
They needed to use better draft capital on a receiver for years now. I’m tired of watching them look for secret value on day 3. Even day 2 would be a nice change of pace….but they need to start figuring out how they’re going to get an eventual #1. They skipped getting Diggs a quality partner and have paid for it. Time has come to find his eventual replacement. Can’t just throw mid round rookies and cheap UFAs at it as he declines with age. Need multiple high end WR options added.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
They needed to use better draft capital on a receiver for years now. I’m tired of watching them look for secret value on day 3. Even day 2 would be a nice change of pace….but they need to start figuring out how they’re going to get an eventual #1. They skipped getting Diggs a quality partner and have paid for it. Time has come to find his eventual replacement. Can’t just throw mid round rookies and cheap UFAs at it as he declines with age. Need multiple high end WR options added.
1703358228882.png

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
Fournette set to debut tonight... Will see if he is an upgrade over Murray or Johnson. I'm curious but ultimately dont see the need . We've been running well lately but I won't balk at another weapon. Deep at RB for the moment. Too bad we aren't deep at reciever as well.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Fournette set to debut tonight... Will see if he is an upgrade over Murray or Johnson. I'm curious but ultimately dont see the need . We've been running well lately but I won't balk at another weapon. Deep at RB for the moment. Too bad we aren't deep at reciever as well.
Johnson is banged up (shoulder ?) and was on the injury report, therefore...

Reactions: SwordsgoneWild

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
So if you don’t buy peacock, this game is blacked out? Not paying for anymore services.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
So if you don’t buy peacock, this game is blacked out? Not paying for anymore services.
If you're out of the Buffalo market (on nbc), yes. 5.99 for one month, then cancel. You could always go out and watch at a public establishment (and nurse a beer or pop) or friends.

Of course if you are resourceful there are other ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: Husko

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
If you're out of the Buffalo market (on nbc), yes. 5.99 for one month, then cancel. You could always go out and watch at a public establishment (and nurse a beer or pop) or friends.

Of course if you are resourceful there are other ways.
Was hoping to have a relaxing double header from home. Sabres on one tv the Bills on the other. Oh well.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
FWIW: SalC just said the Sofi stadium announcer has announced the start time has been pushed back to 8:25 pm est. Nothing official other than that.

Was hoping to have a relaxing double header from home. Sabres on one tv the Bills on the other. Oh well.
get a free vpn

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I've liked Johnson a lot. I think if anything, Fournette would take carries away from Murray. Had to be the strongest RB room they've had in Allen's tenure.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad