Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Yup, they went big on Von Miller and it blew up badly. The defense was talented but wasted by passive coaching, now it's old. The good news is that the necessary re-tool coincides with a need to clean house in the coaching staff. There is an opportunity to get it right. I don't think that they will, but there is a chance if they keep up this level of play.
I could see them dumping some big contracts in the offseason and taking a year to eat the cap hit while retooling with draft picks and mid tier FA's. New OC and DC with year to install before expecting to push again.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
The more I marinate on the game, the more I'm disappointed in the defense, especially in the 2nd half. The first half was fine. They didn't necessarily get off the field well, but they gave up two field goals on drives and a TD on the short field after an immediate interception. It's acceptable.

The 2nd half performance was not. I know they're injured. But you can't let the worst offense in the NFL drive the ball up and down the field on you and not make stops in the red zone either. The Bills defense only had to face 4 possessions, so any fatigue they felt in the 2nd half was their own damn fault. They essentially made one play all game (a punch out fumble on an otherwise successful play for the New England offense) and Mac Jones absolutely tore them up.

If you let Mac Jones go 25/30 for 272 and no turnovers, what the hell are QB's like Mahomes and Hurts and even Herbert going to do to this defense? Help isn't coming for a looong time at linebacker or secondary. In previous years when the offense was "clicking" even while Daboll was still here they would still have down periods in games (remember the dreaded 3rd quarter woes in 2021?) It's going to be very difficult to win games against competent offenses unless this defense somehow improves, even if Allen and co. can get back to where they've been previously.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The more I marinate on the game, the more I'm disappointed in the defense, especially in the 2nd half. The first half was fine. They didn't necessarily get off the field well, but they gave up two field goals on drives and a TD on the short field after an immediate interception. It's acceptable.

The 2nd half performance was not. I know they're injured. But you can't let the worst offense in the NFL drive the ball up and down the field on you and not make stops in the red zone either. The Bills defense only had to face 4 possessions, so any fatigue they felt in the 2nd half was their own damn fault. They essentially made one play all game (a punch out fumble on an otherwise successful play for the New England offense) and Mac Jones absolutely tore them up.

If you let Mac Jones go 25/30 for 272 and no turnovers, what the hell are QB's like Mahomes and Hurts and even Herbert going to do to this defense? Help isn't coming for a looong time at linebacker or secondary. In previous years when the offense was "clicking" even while Daboll was still here they would still have down periods in games (remember the dreaded 3rd quarter woes in 2021?) It's going to be very difficult to win games against competent offenses unless this defense somehow improves, even if Allen and co. can get back to where they've been previously.
Meh. Losing Jones, Milano, Oliver, and White is damn near back breaking. Hyde and Poyer don't appear to be elite any longer. Von isn't playing very many snaps. Those were the other game breakers on this defense.

They're aging + lost a couple of impact players including their best player on defense. I wont have much faith that the defense can be a good unit unless the defensive line can become elite, which would likely take Von coming back to form + a bit more luck. The LBs and secondary just aren't good enough.

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
Wow, rough game. This defense is incapable of locking anyone down with the injuries, and can likely be shredded by any team with a lead. Offense balls out or the season is dead, simple as that. I have to hope McD sees that and Dorsey is capable of shouldering that responsibility. Trying to stay optimistic but I'm not holding my breath

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Meh. Losing Jones, Milano, Oliver, and White is damn near back breaking. Hyde and Poyer don't appear to be elite any longer. Von isn't playing very many snaps. Those were the other game breakers on this defense.

They're aging + lost a couple of impact players including their best player on defense. I wont have much faith that the defense can be a good unit unless the defensive line can become elite, which would likely take Von coming back to form + a bit more luck. The LBs and secondary just aren't good enough.
Agree. We have lost two many starters for the unit to play elite. They are an average unit now.

So............. the offense MUST win games! There are literally NO INJURIES affecting the offense. They have no excuse.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I could see them dumping some big contracts in the offseason and taking a year to eat the cap hit while retooling with draft picks and mid tier FA's. New OC and DC with year to install before expecting to push again.

I'd honestly be fine with that. It's unlikely that the current core is going to break through at this point if they haven't for the past four or so years already. Moving on from Dorsey, the vets in the secondary, Miller, Knox, and probably even Diggs sadly enough would be a chance to try something different.

Allen's our window so as long as he's around we'll be able to rebuild rather quickly but it may be time to change the resources around him a bit.

Reactions: Bendium

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY

Then they're not going to make the playoffs. Even the "molten hot" Bills offense punted 4 times in the divisional loss to KC. If the poor Patriots offense did this to this defense, good/great QB's are going to feast and expecting the offense to keep up with that is not a valid strategy. They HAVE to get better.

Bendium said:
Agree. We have lost two many starters for the unit to play elite. They are an average unit now.

So............. the offense MUST win games! There are literally NO INJURIES affecting the offense. They have no excuse.

Their performance against New England, particularly in the 2nd half, was not average. It was far below that level given the quality of the opposition. Yes, the offense could have won THIS game, but the point is better offenses will put up more points and be stopped even less and it's not realistic for ANY offense to have to perform at that level over a long stretch of time. At best any game against a competent offense will be a coin flip (if they have no defense like say the Chargers).

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Did anybody see why Benford was called for defensive passing interference at the end? Was it legit? I don’t recall a good replay showing it. Considering the receiver was tackled in the field of play, I would say thats a pretty crucial call. They would’ve need to spike it with 18 secs left and then maybe had time to run one play if that before they had to kick the field goal or go for it.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I still maintain we need to make an addition on the defensive side of the ball. I still think a starting boundary CB is the 1 need here, followed by a vet coverage LB. I'm not sure how you fit both under the cap at this point, but at least go get one.

I think the biggest defensive need showed itself yesterday -- if we're missing Oliver and Jones......teams can man up on our replacement DTs, double the DEs and completely neutralize our rush. If we're not getting pressure, no CB or coverage LB in the NFL can cover long enough to make a difference.

Get Oliver a new running mate -- or at the very least a situational DT who can rush the passer far better than Phillips/Settle/Ford. This way if we're ever down Oliver AND Jones again, there's at least a bit of a rush coming from the inside.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Did anybody see why Benford was called for defensive passing interference at the end? Was it legit? I don’t recall a good replay showing it. Considering the receiver was tackled in the field of play, I would say thats a pretty crucial call. They would’ve need to spike it with 18 secs left and then maybe had time to run one play if that before they had to kick the field goal or go for it.

I thought the WR made it out of bounds on that play?

But I didn't think anything of the flag, probably because the WR made the catch.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I thought the WR made it out of bounds on that play?

But I didn't think anything of the flag, probably because the WR made the catch.
That was my recollection too, although ESPN's pbp does not have that indicated.

I thought it was a pretty ticky-tack flag but like you didn't think much of it cuz I thought he was OB and made the catch. I was much more frustrated by the illegal man downfield that was bizarrely picked up and the illegal contact on the TD drive before that turned a punt into a TD eventually.

Reactions: Zman5778

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
That was my recollection too, although ESPN's pbp does not have that indicated.

I thought it was a pretty ticky-tack flag but like you didn't think much of it cuz I thought he was OB and made the catch. I was much more frustrated by the illegal man downfield that was bizarrely picked up and the illegal contact on the TD drive before that turned a punt into a TD eventually.

I gotta see that illegal man downfield flag again -- Jones had that ball out in like a second post-snap, and I genuinely find it hard to believe that any O-lineman can get down the field far enough for a flag to be thrown in the span of a literal second or second and a half. Because I'm pretty sure that illegal man downfield is dependent on when the ball comes out of the QB's arm. I think it looked a lot worse than it actually was because it took that ball FOREVER to hit the RB. Like, I think the ball was in the air longer than it took for Jones to get the snap and throw the ball.

And thinking back to the Benford picked-up PI........I think I was thinking "Hm, certainly a hold/grab or an illegal contact call but not necessarily PI". I do remember there being significant contact between Benford and the WR.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I gotta see that illegal man downfield flag again -- Jones had that ball out in like a second post-snap, and I genuinely find it hard to believe that any O-lineman can get down the field far enough for a flag to be thrown in the span of a literal second or second and a half. Because I'm pretty sure that illegal man downfield is dependent on when the ball comes out of the QB's arm. I think it looked a lot worse than it actually was because it took that ball FOREVER to hit the RB. Like, I think the ball was in the air longer than it took for Jones to get the snap and throw the ball.

And thinking back to the Benford picked-up PI........I think I was thinking "Hm, certainly a hold/grab or an illegal contact call but not necessarily PI". I do remember there being significant contact between Benford and the WR.

The center literally took off on a sprint downfield at the snap of the ball and didn't contact anyone. He was at least 3 yards downfield (for sure more than 1) when the ball was thrown.

EDIT: OK i looked at it on the replay package. The center was a yard and a half downfield with the ball still in Jones' hand, so definitely a foul unless there's some bizarre verbage about the QB starting his throwing motion or something. The PI on Benford isn't in the replay package.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Howie Roseman is once again giving Beane a masterclass on what it means to be an NFL GM and making adustments on the fly as Philly acquires Byard from the Titans to shore up their banged up secondary. A banged up secondary that just shut down the most potent offense in the NFL.

Reactions: SabresFan26

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Their performance against New England, particularly in the 2nd half, was not average. It was far below that level given the quality of the opposition. Yes, the offense could have won THIS game, but the point is better offenses will put up more points and be stopped even less and it's not realistic for ANY offense to have to perform at that level over a long stretch of time. At best any game against a competent offense will be a coin flip (if they have no defense like say the Chargers).
The offense can help the defense out alot by performing better. If you get a lead it starts to limit the opposing offense playbook and make it easier to play defense against. If you are getting a lead then you are not leaving your defense on the field for long stretches, getting them tired out for when you need them late in the game. No defense holds up over the game if the offense is having short drives, leaving poor field position, and not putting up points. So whatever you think of the defense, it will require the offense to perform like a top 5 offense to win.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
The offense can help the defense out alot by performing better. If you get a lead it starts to limit the opposing offense playbook and make it easier to play defense against. If you are getting a lead then you are not leaving your defense on the field for long stretches, getting them tired out for when you need them late in the game. No defense holds up over the game if the offense is having short drives, leaving poor field position, and not putting up points. So whatever you think of the defense, it will require the offense to perform like a top 5 offense to win.
If the defense was tired in the 2nd half Sunday it's their own fault for allowing drives. The offense was fine in the 2nd half, and they generally (aside from the interception) possessed the ball okay in the first half too (drives of 7 minutes and almost 6 minutes). They faced four overall possesions in the 2nd half. FOUR. If they were worn down that's on them. They faced nine possessions for the whole game. That's extremely low for an NFL game.

As for getting ahead, you can't limit the other team's playbook if you can't stop them in the beginning of games. You can only do that by getting ahead by more than a score, and that requires stops. They can win with how they played defense in the 1st half (even considering NE's a very poor offense). The 2nd half not so much.

EDIT: To pound the point home: the Bills gave up 4 points per possession in the 2nd half Sunday, and the Patriots drive starts were dead on the league average - so it clearly wasn't because of field position. Additionally, the Bills had more of the ball than New England in both halves, so they shouldn't have been worn down. And to put that number in perspective, the BEST offense in the NFL currently averages 3.01 points per possession. New England, after that 2nd half explosion, remains 30th in the NFL scoring 1.26 points per possession over the full season.

They could hold significantly better offenses to that 4.25 points per possession mark (which would obviously be an improvement over allowing that to one of the leagues worst offenses), and they're still going to have a boat load of trouble winning more than just a game here or there like that. IF they play like they did in the 2nd half the rest of the year, they won't get to .500 no matter how good the offense plays. They must improve.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad