Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
goodbye 12 personnel or more David Edwards on short yardage.

McD was asked why Von only had 6 snaps and hemmed and hawed around the answer

McD was asked about slow starts and plainly blamed 2nd down plays putting them in hard to convert 3rd down situations (Dorsey ?)

A trade for a returner incoming I'm sure :D

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
The last time they showed him at the Sabres game he was wearing a brace on his wrist. Kudos to him for battling, dude is a warrior.
Yeah, you could tell it was bothering the hell out of him yesterday. He was working it out after a running play in the first quarter (as was Josh with his shoulder numerous times). If he's out for a while I wonder if we see an addition here. There are probably some serviceable TEs who could be had for a 6/7 swap. Winless Carolina remains a likely trade partner imo.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
There are probably some serviceable TEs who could be had for a 6/7 swap. Winless Carolina remains a likely trade partner imo.

Not gonna find any serviceable TEs on Carolina given how they just had to put Ian Thomas on IR and are down to 2 playable TEs.

Arizona would have to eat some money.....but I wonder if Swaim might be available?

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
More Q, Baby. Gimme dem looks.
Love Q, but he has a very gimpy ankle at the moment by all accounts. I'd be surprised if he goes Thursday.
Not gonna find any serviceable TEs on Carolina given how they just had to put Ian Thomas on IR and are down to 2 playable TEs.

Arizona would have to eat some money.....but I wonder if Swaim might be available?
Dang I had Ian Thomas in mind, didn't realize that.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
To compound matters, Morris is a converted WR and not a very good blocker. He's more Kincaid's backup than Knox's.

To the extent they want to keep running 12 personnel without using a 6th olinemen, the answer is probably going to be Gilliam, who they used to regularly use in-line when they wanted to get Knox detached.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
They brought in Harty and paid him quite a bit so hopefully they can get this offence working again using Harty, Shakir and Sherfield.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
He's going to fall on the sword isn't he ?

Screen Shot 2023-10-23 at 6.48.47 PM.png

---

1698101478796.png

---

Joe Marino: Dorsey wasn't good, Josh was worse

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Beane could be sniffing around for a LB, this is same account that had the Bills in on Lance.

SOURCE: “#Bills calling around the league looking for LBs. They called John asking for Dre.” 👀⬇️

It sounds like the Buffalo Bills are working the phones looking for Linebackers. They made a call to the #49ers wanting Dre Greenlaw & Lynch said “NO.” pic.twitter.com/ooAVFvLZIu
— 49ers & NFL News 24/7 (@49ersSportsTalk) October 23, 2023

Hopkins watch back on ?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I'd much rather address DT than LB if all else is equal. I also which McDermott would just ride or die with Williams and Elam. Dodson (who I don't think belongs on an nfl roster much less starting) and Jackson aren't taking us anywhere. The way they exploited Jackson in space was painful.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'd much rather address DT than LB if all else is equal. I also which McDermott would just ride or die with Williams and Elam. Dodson (who I don't think belongs on an nfl roster much less starting) and Jackson aren't taking us anywhere. The way they exploited Jackson in space was painful.
Dodson is a solid special teamer who would have a spot on most NFL rosters

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Dodson is a solid special teamer who would have a spot on most NFL rosters
Is he? How do you quantify that? Maybe he is an above average special teamer. But other than taking the coaching staff's word for it, I have no way of evaluating that for myself. But I digress, even if he's on a team as a special teamer, he should never be seeing the field on defense.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Wrote this for Buffalo Rumblings:

- The NFL has a really good track record of taking strong armed, athletic QBs and fitting them into a horizontal timing offense (west coast offense). Elway, Young, Favre, McNabb, Rodgers, Mahomes, etc. A NFL defensive coordinator explained it to me: the scheme stretches the defense laterally. The QB stretches the field vertically. It works.

Most of Allen’s routes are breaking around 10 yards with little opportunity for YAC. Dorsey runs an Erhardt-Perkins offensive, inherited from Daboll. That’s a great offense for a patient, pocket passer like Brady. EP is designed to stay ahead of the down and distance and sustain drives. I’m not sure it’s a great fit for Allen. Right now, unless Allen is super patient, he defaults to hero ball. And the line is struggling to block 5 and 7 step drops.

Dorsey does have some HT offensive experience. I’d either make that tough switch, or get a coordinator who can run it. The reason HT works for someone like Allen is that he’s getting the ball into hands of playmakers fast, with the opportunity to run after the catch. He could operate a complete offense around fast ball movement, prior to his running or scramble drill play even coming into effect.

- McDermott runs too much 4-2-5. It really strains the interior of the defense. He’s got linebackers to play a 4-3 at least part of the time. I think there’s enough on film of his defense where offensive coordinators can scheme it correctly. The Bills defense is a lot like the old Bucs Tampa 2, in that it’s dependent on personnel beating blocks. Down a lot of headliners, McDermott needs to make some scheme changes.

- The Bills offensive line needs 2-3 more young players in the mix. The only player I’m sold on long term is Torrence. I’d like to see the analytics from the last 2-3 games, because it seems Allen doesn’t have a lot of time. It’s early for draft thoughts, but Beane has 4 picks in the first two days of the draft. I’m big on BPA, but if they’ve got a tie in the tier, they should look offensive line. Get some kids in now who can learn for a year or two, and then plug them in. Allen has an another decade in Buffalo. Keeping him upright has to be a priority.

- A long time ago, I wrote an article for BR about WRs and value. I hear the calls for replacing Davis. I don’t think replacing Davis will upgrade the Bills offense. And teams regularly find good receivers throughout the draft. Davis might be the last position I’d replace. A bigger receiver with speed who can pull safeties deep would be enough to make a scheme work.

- I’m a huge 12 personnel proponent. I think the extra gap it creates causes a lot of havoc for defenses. I just don’t think Dorsey or Shula have gotten the scheme aligned with the talent. I’d put on Patriots film from over a decade ago. They used 12 personnel so well. No one really stopped the Pats. The Hernandez situation stopped that offense. It’s a far better model than the Cam Newton scheme that Shula brought in.

- I wouldn’t be down on the Bills. I wrote here when the team was hoping Trent Edwards was the answer. Having a franchise QB is so important because you get 3-4 shots at a title over that QBs career. Beane and McDermott could tear down two more times and rebuild around Allen. Look at teams that Brady, Manning, Rodgers, and Roethlisberger led over the last 20 years. They’ve had shots and won titles with completely different teams. Even Mahomes’ second Super Bowl team looked different from his first SB team. It’s far, far from over. Allen and the Bills have about another decade worth of title shots.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

- The NFL has a really good track record of taking strong armed, athletic QBs and fitting them into a horizontal timing offense (west coast offense). Elway, Young, Favre, McNabb, Rodgers, Mahomes, etc. A NFL defensive coordinator explained it to me: the scheme stretches the defense laterally. The QB stretches the field vertically. It works.

Most of Allen’s routes are breaking around 10 yards with little opportunity for YAC. Dorsey runs an Erhardt-Perkins offensive, inherited from Daboll. That’s a great offense for a patient, pocket passer like Brady. EP is designed to stay ahead of the down and distance and sustain drives. I’m not sure it’s a great fit for Allen. Right now, unless Allen is super patient, he defaults to hero ball. And the line is struggling to block 5 and 7 step drops.

Dorsey does have some HT offensive experience. I’d either make that tough switch, or get a coordinator who can run it. The reason HT works for someone like Allen is that he’s getting the ball into hands of playmakers fast, with the opportunity to run after the catch. He could operate a complete offense around fast ball movement, prior to his running or scramble drill play even coming into effect.

- McDermott runs too much 4-2-5. It really strains the interior of the defense. He’s got linebackers to play a 4-3 at least part of the time. I think there’s enough on film of his defense where offensive coordinators can scheme it correctly. The Bills defense is a lot like the old Bucs Tampa 2, in that it’s dependent on personnel beating blocks. Down a lot of headliners, McDermott needs to make some scheme changes.

- The Bills offensive line needs 2-3 more young players in the mix. The only player I’m sold on long term is Torrence. I’d like to see the analytics from the last 2-3 games, because it seems Allen doesn’t have a lot of time. It’s early for draft thoughts, but Beane has 4 picks in the first two days of the draft. I’m big on BPA, but if they’ve got a tie in the tier, they should look offensive line. Get some kids in now who can learn for a year or two, and then plug them in. Allen has an another decade in Buffalo. Keeping him upright has to be a priority.

- A long time ago, I wrote an article for BR about WRs and value. I hear the calls for replacing Davis. I don’t think replacing Davis will upgrade the Bills offense. And teams regularly find good receivers throughout the draft. Davis might be the last position I’d replace. A bigger receiver with speed who can pull safeties deep would be enough to make a scheme work.

- I’m a huge 12 personnel proponent. I think the extra gap it creates causes a lot of havoc for defenses. I just don’t think Dorsey or Shula have gotten the scheme aligned with the talent. I’d put on Patriots film from over a decade ago. They used 12 personnel so well. No one really stopped the Pats. The Hernandez situation stopped that offense. It’s a far better model than the Cam Newton scheme that Shula brought in.

- I wouldn’t be down on the Bills. I wrote here when the team was hoping Trent Edwards was the answer. Having a franchise QB is so important because you get 3-4 shots at a title over that QBs career. Beane and McDermott could tear down two more times and rebuild around Allen. Look at teams that Brady, Manning, Rodgers, and Roethlisberger led over the last 20 years. They’ve had shots and won titles with completely different teams. Even Mahomes’ second Super Bowl team looked different from his first SB team. It’s far, far from over. Allen and the Bills have about another decade worth of title shots.
If you’re watching MNF, the Vikings and 49ers are showing how you get the ball out of the QBs hands quickly and let playmakers do the work.

Both horizontal timing offenses.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021

I like most of what you said here, what it comes down to for me is they have tried to change to something that isn't working and there best player into something he is not and gotten away from what won them games ? Is there justifications for it ? Protecting McD's defense, lenthening Josh's career ? Sure I guess, but you see the result now the last three weeks (along with other factors like major injuries, a long road trip they did not plan for well, etc). I also feel coaching ego has a part. What will it lead to ?, I'm afraid to share my opinion tbh lol but it is not good.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I like most of what you said here, what it comes down to for me is they have tried to change to something that isn't working and there best player into something he is not and gotten away from what won them games ? Is there justifications for it ? Protecting McD's defense, lenthening Josh's career ? Sure I guess, but you see the result now the last three weeks (along with other factors like major injuries, a long road trip they did not plan for well, etc). I also feel coaching ego has a part. What will it lead to ?, I'm afraid to share my opinion tbh lol but it is not good.
Throw on an old video of a young John Elway. Allen looks the same. Elway won Super Bowls at the end of his career, in arguably the 3rd different version of the Broncos he played for.

I’m not worried.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
And just when some thought the NFL was getting easy to figure out............the Vikings beat the Niners.

I just don't know anymore.
And the 9ers scored two offensive TDs.

The Bills had more offensive TDs this week than the Dolphins and 49ers did this week and as many as those two teams combined.

The margins between winning and losing in the NFL are razor thin.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad