KC 1 TD
BUF 2 TDs
BAL 2 TDs
CIN 2 TDs
SF 2 TDs
PHI 2 TDs
DET 2 TDs
DAL 2 TDs

MIA & JAX are the two teams with 3+ TDs in Week 6.

I dont think that is the complete issue tbh but certainly could be part of it. It's not Madden, it's a previous version of the offense with Daboll when they would go up big on teams and make conference finals. I loved how they used Sanders when he was here at wr3. Josh is missing open guys and not looking off safeties anymore as well. We will see how it plays out, he is still getting banged up not running as much and playing under center more. I'm not optimistic.
They also lost 9-6 versus a bad Jacksonville team in Daboll's last season here.

People have selective amnesia about what the offense looked like under Daboll. It was not the weekly juggernaut that people who want to blame Dorsey make it out to be.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Lots of fans and media linked OBJ and DeAndre Hopkins to the Bills.

OBJ has done in Baltimore roughly what Deonte Harty has done for the Bills. (15 targets 9 rec 113 yds 0 TDs vs 15 targets 12 rec 103 yds 1 TD).

Hopkins has done in Tennessee roughly what Gabe Davis has done with the Bills minus any TDs (47 targets 27 rec 376 yds 0 TDs vs 30 targets 21 rec 341 yds 4 TDs).

I wonder if Allen would have targeted either OBJ or Hopkins more than he has the non-Diggs & Davis WRs the Bills have this season.

Harty 15 targets
Sherfield 7 targets
Shakir 5 targets

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Considering Marshawn has had multiple DUI's as well as that hit-and-run from when he struck a woman and took off, not to mention another charge for reckless driving, I'm sure it was just preventative.

Plus, Marshawn didn't leave - he was traded.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
As grateful as I am for a Sunday 1pm game, I almost need a one week break from the Bills. Being at that game took years off my life.
I will not be as locked into the game this week as usual.

I will be driving from Rochester to Syracuse for my kid's 4pm lacrosse scrimmage at Onondaga CC.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Do the Bills need a WR?

Seems like Davis is doing just fine as WR2.

If we’re not going to let Allen open up downfield coverage by running the ball, then yeah, we need a receiver other than Diggs who can actually create separation. Otherwise, Allen’s gonna spend a lot of snaps stuck standing there looking at Diggs double covered, and every other throwing option taken away by single man coverage.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If we’re not going to let Allen open up downfield coverage by running the ball, then yeah, we need a receiver other than Diggs who can actually create separation. Otherwise, Allen’s gonna spend a lot of snaps stuck standing there looking at Diggs double covered, and every other throwing option taken away by single man coverage.
That has not been what the issues have been on offense.

Other guys have been getting open on a lot of plays. Shakir got schemed open on a misthrow to Diggs for example. Davis was open on the play that he got tripped up and there was no call. Kincaid has been open on plenty of plays that Allen threw the ball elsewhere.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
The problem isn't the receivers. Allen's first read is Diggs, and he's going to him.

Other receivers are getting open. They aren't getting the ball.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The problem isn't the receivers. Allen's first read is Diggs, and he's going to him.

Kincaid has absolutely been getting open, but hasn't really been used as the primary read at all. Knox also gets open a bunch.....but same problem, he's not the primary read.

I THINK that Dorsey wants to simplify things for Allen and have him go more with his first read.........but Josh is too often using Diggs as his first read. The question I have is -- is Dorsey calling lots of plays where Diggs is the first option, or is Josh just defaulting to Diggs as read 1 regardless of playcall?

My instinct is telling me that it's more Josh than it is Dorsey.

I wonder what the run/pass ratio is on plays where Diggs is taking a breather?????

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

This just isn’t true. There have been plenty of broken pass plays where absolutely no one was open, and Josh could’ve run for an easy 10+ if he weren’t being coached to play more like a statue (which, in turn, would open up coverage by forcing the D not all to drop into coverage), but instead we get a throw away or him trying to force the ball into a window that doesn’t exist.

We all know what Allen is capable of when the offense is being well-coached. The problem isn’t that Allen inexplicably became less capable; it’s that the offense got a worse coach.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
That was 0°K cold.
It's '0K' , without the ° symbol.

I'm in the industry & seeing this is a pet peeve.

Sorry i know I'm being pedantic. But I'd rather talk about that, than the predictable but completely uneducated 'Bills need a WR' garbage. Or slightly less annoying (but not by much) - the 'Bills need a new OC' garbage.

This would be the equivalent of the Sabres being comfortably in the playoffs a third of the way through a season, having just won another game 2-1 & the fans demanding a retool because we didn't win that particular game 4-1.

Reactions: buffa dud

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
This just isn’t true. There have been plenty of broken pass plays where absolutely no one was open, and Josh could’ve run for an easy 10+ if he weren’t being coached to play more like a statue (which, in turn, would open up coverage by forcing the D not all to drop into coverage), but instead we get a throw away or him trying to force the ball into a window that doesn’t exist.

We all know what Allen is capable of when the offense is being well-coached. The problem isn’t that Allen inexplicably became less capable; it’s that the offense got a worse coach.
I've got no issues with Allen sliding, giving up on plays, and not running. He's got another decade of games to play in Buffalo. I don't want him running aside from scrambling, QB sneaks, and the infrequent called QB run.

The offense is fine. Allen is being coached to play within the offense. I'd rather have a mistake free Allen than what we saw in week 1, where he was playing hero ball. That's what happened last year in the playoffs too. It's not the path to a Super Bowl.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY

This has been one of the offense's biggest issues--some of the off-schedule plays where Allen would've scrambled for a first or a 15+ yard chunk in the past have become incompletions. There was one play last game where he was looking deep off play-action, evaded pressure by climbing and sliding in the pocket, and hitched a couple of times because he was still looking to throw before really running, even with a good amount of open space in front of him.

IMO, the coaching staff went too far with the "don't run" advice when the focus should've been on avoiding unnecessary hits at the end of runs. Aside from the Jets game and trying to hurdle a Raiders DB, Allen's been much smarter about sliding or getting out of bounds when defenders are closing in. If he's consistently doing that and only going caveman mode when it's completely necessary, I think they'd be well-served by dialing up 1-2 designed runs per game and having him scramble more actively when there's a clear lane for it and nothing's open.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
That has not been what the issues have been on offense.

Other guys have been getting open on a lot of plays. Shakir got schemed open on a misthrow to Diggs for example. Davis was open on the play that he got tripped up and there was no call. Kincaid has been open on plenty of plays that Allen threw the ball elsewhere.

JB, I think your right about Josh-Diggs to and extent, for ie targets vs NYG: Shakir 1, Sherfield 2, Harty 1, RB's 0. But like I said Josh is also not seeing his full reads/progressions and locking in it seems. Against better teams that scares me.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Considering Marshawn has had multiple DUI's as well as that hit-and-run from when he struck a woman and took off, not to mention another charge for reckless driving, I'm sure it was just preventative.

Plus, Marshawn didn't leave - he was traded.
From the article it sounds like he requested a trade and the Bills obliged, so he initiated the conversation to leave

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
It doesn't have to be one or the other. Allen isn't always looking Davis's way, probably in part because Davis has a noted history of struggling to get open.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Edit: Sounds like Fournette is OFF now, was it really based on Ty Johnson or did something else change I wonder behind the scenes.

Last edited:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
It doesn't have to be one or the other. Allen isn't always looking Davis's way, probably in part because Davis has a noted history of struggling to get open.

It's not necessarily Davis that's the one that's getting open. As noted.....Kincaid seems to be open more often than not. Cook seems to be getting open. Shakir got open a couple of times against the Giants.

It's more that Allen is constantly looking at/for Diggs and no one else that appears to be the major issue.

And mind you -- it's the major issue of a damned good offense.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
This isn't a shot at Diggs, but I like offenses which do not have #1 receivers, or at least where the top target is a tight end, or a possession receiver like Kupp. I think it opens up reads more, and allows the offense to just put the ball where it needs to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad