Buffalo Bills Season's End: The Off-Seasons Starts Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Purdy is a mediocre QB that will limit the 49ers for as long as he is there. He needs the perfect situation every single game in order to succeed.

Can you win a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer or Foles? Sure, but you aren’t winning multiple super bowls.

I’ll take my chances managing the cap implications of an elite QB, it has been demonstrated to be more sustainable.

To play Devil's Advocate here, Favre only won one. Rodgers has only won one. Warner only won one. Brees only won one. If Payton stayed in Indy, he's only winning one. He had to jump ship to a team that was already a finished product, not unlike Brady in Tampa, to push them over the edge. There aren't that many people repeating. And some all-time greats (Marino, Moon and Kelly) went their entire careers without winning even one.

The Lombardi trophy is pure luck, IMO. The fact that there isn't a template any one team can follow reinforces that. So, in that respect, Beane has absolutely done right by the fanbase in making sure the Bills get into the playoffs, as a high seed, each and every year.
I think it's less about "you will only win one" and more of "your opportunities to win one will be limited." The need to have a super team around limited QBs + the fact that you only get those kind of QBs on uber cheap rookie deals for 4 years and them $30+ million a year just limits your opportunities. Add in that it's just really hard to maintain a high octane roster year over year. Elite defenses usually only stay elite for 2-3 years. You just have less genuine shots than one superstar QB who single handedly gives you a shot every year.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I disagree with this. When you watch Elway under Shanahan, Favre under Holmgren, or any other big, strong armed QB being reeled in, it looks the same.

The QB has less of the "wow" plays and more controlled, sustainable offense. I'd rather see a boring slant pass to a receiver for 7 yards than the crazy throws that gain 20 yards. I don't think the chaos plays are a sustainable way to play offense. The Bengals exposed that last January.
I think it is all about finding a balance between playing within the system and the "Josh Allen Experience" plays.

One of my biggest issues with the offense this year is that they have been hammering Josh and Dorsey so much about reducing hits on Allen that they are not doing things like calling QB sneaks on 3rd and 4th and inches and they seem to be really limiting the designed QB runs that could help move the chains.

All that being said, they are also still top 3-5 in most of the metrics that matter offensively.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think it is all about finding a balance between playing within the system and the "Josh Allen Experience" plays.

One of my biggest issues with the offense this year is that they have been hammering Josh and Dorsey so much about reducing hits on Allen that they are not doing things like calling QB sneaks on 3rd and 4th and inches and they seem to be really limiting the designed QB runs that could help move the chains.

All that being said, they are also still top 3-5 in most of the metrics that matter offensively.
I combine the metrics with the eyeball test.

I want to know how well the Bills are doing (metrics).

Then I want to know how they are getting it accomplished (watching games).

If the Bills are high in metrics, and getting it done doing normal offensive things, then I think it can be replicated and it's sustainable. If the Bills are getting it done with circus catches, hero ball, and the "Josh Allen experience," then I think that offense if far more susceptible to breakdowns. Like the Cincinnati playoff game.

Ideally, I want the Bills getting it done and making it look easy, with a little bit of hero ball sprinkled in. Think the Broncos 1st Super Bowl win where Elway ran for it on 4th down.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Torrence is balling!

Bill's Trade Deadline tagets

Some good observations of Von from Joe Marino

Last edited:
Reactions: yahhockey

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

It's also only October. I doubt they'll be telling him to avoid hits and not run in the playoffs.

Reactions: buffa dud

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
SalC discussing a Surtain trade possibility on wgr, two firsts is high, but he would still be on his rookie contract for now...

valet

obviously adhd
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I combine the metrics with the eyeball test.

I want to know how well the Bills are doing (metrics).

Then I want to know how they are getting it accomplished (watching games).

If the Bills are high in metrics, and getting it done doing normal offensive things, then I think it can be replicated and it's sustainable. If the Bills are getting it done with circus catches, hero ball, and the "Josh Allen experience," then I think that offense if far more susceptible to breakdowns. Like the Cincinnati playoff game.

Ideally, I want the Bills getting it done and making it look easy, with a little bit of hero ball sprinkled in. Think the Broncos 1st Super Bowl win where Elway ran for it on 4th down.
i'm 100% convinced at this point that the best form this offense can take is 12 man, 3 step drop, just hit whoever's open. mix in runs toward the tackles. put a te/rb in motion for some misdirection. obviously throw in some play actions......just a normal basic offense. whenever they've done that (see miami, wsh, raiders) they've moved the ball, controlled the clock, still gotten the big plays, RBs have gone off, etc.

dorsey imo is a good coordinator and thinks the game well. but i think he has a tendency to get lost in the playbook/analytics and not just do what's working. the giants game was a perfect example. by the second quarter i was already full on screaming at the tv JUST RUN THE BALL. we were having success there but dorsey just didn't seem to catch on.

look at how the second half went, especially the 4th quarter, when we lined up and simplified things. we were gashing them on the ground nearly every time-- it was a thing of beauty, just took way too long for the coaching staff to see that.

forget the game plan. you have the players to pretty much do anything. if something looks good we need to recognize and adjust accordingly. it's so annoying to watch what seems like an obvious shift in strategy simply not happen when it should.

ok i'm done ranting now

Reactions: Der Jaeger

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
No thanks. We can't afford to sign him and in this system, no corner is worth that amount. Unless we were to switch to a man system.
I mean, shutting down one side of the field and allowing safety help to help the middle and blitz is tantalizing. Plus when Tre is back ...I'd make the decision and first conditional on winning the super bowl in either year or it is a second

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
If they were to trade for Surtain and give him a big contract, the corresponding move would most certainly be cutting Tre for substantial cap savings to offset it.
That's the beauty, he is still on his rookie deal and after 24-25 season, you can 5th year or extend. There is always a way especially with that flexibility. I'd bring Tre back next year and if he has fallen off, then it's 4 mil in dead cap for one year.

Reactions: Husko

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Purdy is a mediocre QB that will limit the 49ers for as long as he is there. He needs the perfect situation every single game in order to succeed.

Can you win a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer or Foles? Sure, but you aren’t winning multiple super bowls.

I’ll take my chances managing the cap implications of an elite QB, it has been demonstrated to be more sustainable.
OK - clearly i see Purdy differently which makes your OP make more sense.

I don't think Purdy really limits them at all. I could realistically see them winning a SB while they have him under centre.

They recently gave up the farm for the toolsy QB prospect who all the armchair GMs were in love with... and we all saw how that played out.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
If they were to trade for Surtain and give him a big contract, the corresponding move would most certainly be cutting Tre for substantial cap savings to offset it.
I've said this for forever - but Tre might well be the most obvious cut/trade candidate on the roster WITHOUT signing another elite, highly paid CB. EG if they want to resign/replace the likes of Davis, Epenesa, Daquan Jones, Hyde, etc.

As @Waterfowlist alluded to just above - when will everyone understand that elite corners just aren't as necessary within this scheme compared with most other teams' schemes?

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
OK - clearly i see Purdy differently which makes your OP make more sense.

I don't think Purdy really limits them at all. I could realistically see them winning a SB while they have him under centre.

They recently gave up the farm for the toolsy QB prospect who all the armchair GMs were in love with... and we all saw how that played out.
What do you see Purdy as?

I think that 49ers team thrives on undisciplined defenses. They take advantage of teams that fall for their motion and decoys. Teams like the Bills, Chiefs, Eagles, etc. don’t fall for that stuff and routinely beat those types of teams.

System QBs need the system to work flawlessly. When it doesn’t, you get Tuas performance against the bills a few weeks ago.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It's also only October. I doubt they'll be telling him to avoid hits and not run in the playoffs.
My question is will they still stay away from QB sneaks on inches to go situations.

There is a difference between telling him to be smarter when it comes to business decisions to slide versus taking a hit to get an extra yard or two and the serious change in play calling that has taken place year over year.

Even in the playoffs, you want him to make good business decisions if he has the first down and should slide or step out of bounds as opposed to trying to hurdle a guy or initiating contact with a defender.

What do you see Purdy as?

I think that 49ers team thrives on undisciplined defenses. They take advantage of teams that fall for their motion and decoys. Teams like the Bills, Chiefs, Eagles, etc. don’t fall for that stuff and routinely beat those types of teams.

System QBs need the system to work flawlessly. When it doesn’t, you get Tuas performance against the bills a few weeks ago.
Every QB is a system QB to some extent. Some QBs have the ability to work off script when the system doesn't scheme the primary and secondary options open.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Capture.PNG

I wonder if KC fans are freaking out about their offensive play calling since they have scored 2 offensive TDs or fewer in 4 out of 6 games so far this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad