Confirmed with Link: Sean Walker & 5th round pick ('26) traded to Colorado for 1st round pick ('25 - top 10 protected) & Ryan Johansen - Johansen assigned to Lehigh Valley

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How Do You Grade The Trade?

• Total voters

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Chychrun puts up points & has a lengthy track record of playing over 20+ minutes a night so that’s probably costing you in the neighborhood of $7M long term to extend him past next year.

Ottawa paid for multiple years of control with him as to where now you’d be paying about a year & a quarter if you were to acquire him at this deadline. So I doubt he costs the two first rounders+ that Ottawa paid but he probably still nets a first rounder+.

I personally don’t really have an appetite to go down that road with Chychrun. He’s not bad but he’s not exactly a guy I’d be thrilled about paying trade price & then contract extension for while he’s exiting his prime years.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
We're also assuming Colorado is going to be worse next year. :laugh:

Your beliefs lie closer to what the Flyers think about draft capital than I do. That's fine. I'll just keep that in mind if you ever ask me for a loan lol.

Return wise? I think my reasonable expectation was the equivalent of a 2024 2nd rounder for Walker alone. The future first is about that (argue more if you want), but they took on a big contract that runs through the end of next year that pretty much washes out the return, if not more. I just think people really undervalue how much dumping contracts costs.
I don’t mind taking on that contract at all, it’s not that bad at all tbh

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Chychrun puts up points & has a lengthy track record of playing over 20+ minutes a night so that’s probably costing you in the neighborhood of $7M long term to extend him past next year.

Ottawa paid for multiple years of control with him as to where now you’d be paying about a year & a quarter if you were to acquire him at this deadline. So I doubt he costs the two first rounders+ that Ottawa paid but he probably still nets a first rounder+.

I personally don’t really have an appetite to go down that road with Chychrun. He’s not bad but he’s not exactly a guy I’d be thrilled about paying trade price & then contract extension for while he’s exiting his prime years.
That's all great, for his average of 55 games a year. He's missing almost a 1/3rd of every season.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Cause he's dog water.
one might say, pooch water

Imagine if they just kept Ghost....crazy

• Wow
Reactions: Larry44 and pooch

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Seems like he is basically putting up Atkinson level play right now?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I know I'm a stickler for trade value, and I don't think the value is good here, but I will give them kudos for at least acknowledging they are not true contenders by selling off their biggest expiring piece. I don't believe in going in halfway so I would have sold off Seeler also, but I want to be at least a little positive since I expected them to make zero moves.

I have a strong suspicion that if he'd lowered his contract ask a bit he'd still be here.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It can.

You wanna rebuild or not? They currently have multiple 1st round picks in 3 consecutive drafts. There are some teams who actually are rebuilding that don’t.

Reactions: BritainStix

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Seems like he is basically putting up Atkinson level play right now?

He’s been in noticeable decline the past two years which makes sense given his age. The projection there’s being drug up from his season output three years ago which was aided by his finishing ability. He’s maintained decent finishing ability the last two years though that’s pretty much the only thing keeping his offensive output from totally cratering at this point.

His defensive output actually hasn’t been bad trending average but I doubt traditional hockey people see it that way.

He’s still playable at the NHL level but it’s obviously in a bottom six role but again not sure traditional hockey people view him as a bottom six worthy guy which is probably why the Flyers put him on waivers already.

Colorado’s more analytically inclined than most other front offices so they used him in bottom six role still because that’s the only way he could supply some value but obviously that’s not $4M worth of value.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I don’t mind taking on that contract at all, it’s not that bad at all tbh
He would have been traded a long time ago if it wasn't that bad.

If you think the value I placed on Walker was fair, they took the contract on for free essentially.

You wanna rebuild or not? They currently have multiple 1st round picks in 3 consecutive drafts. There are some teams who actually are rebuilding that don’t.
How did we get here? I don't even know what you are arguing now.

I said Colordo's '24 1st > Colorado's '25 conditional 1st. You disagreed and said teams don't value this year's late 1st round. That's fine if you believe that but I think that's fundamentally untrue.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I guess it makes sense that this place would be extra unhinged when they do exactly what we wanted them to do but still feel that deep compulsion to hate everything. :laugh:

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
I guess it makes sense that this place would be extra unhinged when they do exactly what we wanted them to do but still feel that deep compulsion to hate everything. :laugh:
they didnt do it good enough. it's just infuriating. There's nuance at play that the organization with all their "hockey guys" can't seem to grasp. I'm fully convinced that HFBoards would GM better.

Reactions: BernieParent

pooch

May 30, 2017
But signing Seeler is not what a lot of people wanted. Especially for 4 yrs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad