Confirmed with Link: Sean Walker & 5th round pick ('26) traded to Colorado for 1st round pick ('25 - top 10 protected) & Ryan Johansen - Johansen assigned to Lehigh Valley

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How Do You Grade The Trade?

• Total voters

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I won't get too attached to this first while these Chychrun to Philly rumors are swirling.

Think of the culture points they'd get from bringing home the son of a former Flyer to help with the playoff push after they lost Risto, Drysdale, Seeler and Walker on D.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I won't get too attached to this first while these Chychrun to Philly rumors are swirling.

Think of the culture points they'd get from bringing home the son of a former Flyer to help with the playoff push after they lost Risto, Drysdale, Seeler and Walker on D.
Would make more sense to why they rushed to waive Johansen

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
When Columbus pushes its 2nd-2024 to a 2nd-2025, it gives the Flyers two 1sts this year, zero 2nds (so far) and then two 1sts and three 2nds in 2025.

Would be nice to make another deal to get a 2nd this year. I still can't believe what they gave up to get D'Angelo.

Philadelphia Flyers Draftpicks | Puckpedia

They have #51 from O'Brien compensation.

I really would not normally advocating trying to move up in a draft...

but this one?

With Flyers likely holding picks ~14-20, ~26-32 and 51 in the first 2 rounds?

I would really consider using that 2nd to see if anyone in the ~10 range would trade down. It would "fit" value wise in terms of how NHL teams view draft picks in isolation... but ofc need a partner.

But that is maybe due to how I see the "tiers" of this draft.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Unless we hear otherwise, yes. It won’t work with Florida’s pick, but we already have that this year, so I’ll take the chance that the Colorado pick is like 21st next year instead of 29th this year.

Youse all, and I, want a rebuild. You don’t need all the picks in one draft.
8 picks apart in the late 1st is pretty much a wash. Add in the year you have to wait? It's a no brainer which one you'd rather have. Getting the player in your system a year earlier and closer to the NHL should have more value for a team that thinks they are contending in two years. Or you could trade the pick for a player. Or maybe they want to make a godfather offer to get into the top 10. The present year is always more valuable.

Even if what you are saying is true, teams always want late 1st round picks on the clock (Frost). A 2024 1st easily can net you a 2025 1st and an early Day 2 pick on draft day.

Reactions: Magua and Starat327

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Chychrun is a good player right? I mean, he seems like he's worth way more than a 1st

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021

but this one?

I would really consider using that 2nd to see if anyone in the ~10 range would trade down. It would "fit" value wise in terms of how NHL teams view draft picks in isolation... but ofc need a partner.

who are worth moving for who are likely around at ~10?

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Torts doesn't like Johansen or at least he didn't in the past.
Torts may dislike Johansen more than Frost. :laugh:
That was 8 years ago when he was one of those filthy youths that Torts hates so much.

He's now 31, which makes him a veteran, and therefor superior to Frost. He's also shitty at scoring now, which is a massive positive in his favor.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
8 picks apart in the late 1st is pretty much a wash. Add in the year you have to wait? It's a no brainer which one you'd rather have. Getting the player in your system a year earlier and closer to the NHL should have more value for a team that thinks they are contending in two years. Or you could trade the pick for a player. The present year is always more valuable.

Even if what you are saying is true, teams always want late 1st round picks on the clock (Frost). A 2024 1st easily can net you a 2025 1st and an early Day 2 pick on draft day.
8 picks apart in the 1st round can get you another 2nd round pick if you move down.

We’re assuming it makes it that far

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I know I'm a stickler for trade value, and I don't think the value is good here, but I will give them kudos for at least acknowledging they are not true contenders by selling off their biggest expiring piece. I don't believe in going in halfway so I would have sold off Seeler also, but I want to be at least a little positive since I expected them to make zero moves.
What were you anticipating here?

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
I like Sean Walker a lot. Seems like a good dude and all, but for purely selfish reasons, I hope he’s really bad in Colorado and they take a first round exit. Would love to dump Risto this summer and get Walker back for a decent price in a system his game is perfectly suited for.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Ottawa gave up a 1 and 2 2’s to get him, to conceptually 2 1sts would be in-play.
I've just checked, and he's never completed a full season, or realistically got close.

We could really do without another injury worry.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He should be worth less now he only has one year left.
A 22-23 minute defensemen for 2 runs that you’re gonna definitely not going to let walk anyways, who do you think they cost?

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Getting a 1st for Walker is a fantastic deal. All those overreacting in the other thread sure look stupid now.
One good move does not make a great deadline. We've seen that before then the other shoe drops and it's very ugly.
EDIT TO ADD: f***ING SEELER CONTRACT!!!!

Also look a the second deal Colorado made... THAT'S HOW IT'S DONE! Lost a guy who was line 4 and overpaid and a top 4 d man with concussion issues for a top 2 center and a top 4 Dman at the cost of a first.

Last edited:

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002

but this one?

Thanks, AA, I totally forgot the JOB compensation. Oh, absolutely trade down if the guy you want is there, as long as there's a dance partner.

Reactions: Appleyard

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
8 picks apart in the 1st round can get you another 2nd round pick if you move down.

We’re assuming it makes it that far
We're also assuming Colorado is going to be worse next year. :laugh:

Your beliefs lie closer to what the Flyers think about draft capital than I do. That's fine. I'll just keep that in mind if you ever ask me for a loan lol.

What were you anticipating here?
Return wise? I think my reasonable expectation was the equivalent of a 2024 2nd rounder for Walker alone. The future first is about that (argue more if you want), but they took on a big contract that runs through the end of next year that pretty much washes out the return, if not more. I just think people really undervalue how much dumping contracts costs.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
We're also assuming Colorado is going to be worse next year. :laugh:

Your beliefs lie closer to what the Flyers think about draft capital than I do. That's fine. I'll just keep that in mind if you ever ask me for a loan lol.

Return wise? I think my reasonable expectation was the equivalent of a 2024 2nd rounder for Walker alone. The future first is about that (argue more if you want), but they took on a big contract that runs through the end of next year that pretty much washes out the return, if not more. I just think people really underrate how much dumping contracts costs.
If they draft 32nd this year, it can’t be worse

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
Flyers always want to be fair with their trading partners while contenders like Tampa and Colorado are out to rob teams like the Flyers of their lunch money. Las Vegas won by ripping off Fletcher at the Expansion Draft.

What utility is there for the Flyers not to try to completely win trades? Flyers should be moving Seeler and Laughton too, but that’s what feels bad about this deadline.

Other teams use their cap space to attack other teams and press them into giving up value. The Flyers are out to help teams out because “we don’t have any need for cap space this year.”

Reactions: scumpup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad