Confirmed Signing with Link: [SEA/DAL] Kraken select and sign Jamie Oleksiak (5 years, $4.6M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Based on what? There was only 66 defensemen who made 4.6 million or higher last year, and if you spread the cap evenly over a 23 man roster it would be 3.54 million. Sure it takes some time for the average to catch up with new deals, but 4.6 is still #3 defenseman money. Last year, Oleksiak averaged just over 20 min for the first time in his career.

Back up goiles and rookies do not get the same cut the average player will get 4ish+ million.Teams have buyouts and retention and bad contracts they dont.
spending 4.6 on a guy that plays in your to 4 is nothing, I can't imagine they will have any cap problems for a while.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
If they were going to overpay, why waste a pick? No other team would match.

And....first dumb move....many to follow.

Sounds like they didn't like any other Stars available players and just decided why not overpay for Oleksiak now before someone else can offer him more stupid money. Think when Dickinson was traded the Kraken settled on getting Oleksiak now.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
How are they paying him more than Larsson?

Depends on how set both had been to become UFA and test the market. Seem like Oleksiak had to convinced not to with paying him more than he probably deserves.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Sounds like they didn't like any other Stars available players and just decided why not overpay for Oleksiak now before someone else can offer him more stupid money. Think when Dickinson was traded the Kraken settled on getting Oleksiak now.

When it looked like we had to expose Chiarot, I wanted him on the Habs but for no more then 3.5x4 or 5.

Habs already have 4 guys his size. A few inches don't matter.

And...we got Guhle on the way. The kid likes blood and it doesn't matter whose....

serp

Jan 17, 2016
When it looked like we had to expose Chiarot, I wanted him on the Habs but for no more then 3.5x4 or 5.

Habs already have 4 guys his size. A few inches don't matter.

And...we got Guhle on the way. The kid likes blood and it doesn't matter whose....

I couldn't see him sign for less than 4 . Not because he deserved it but because this was his one shot to really get paid. Maybe to return to Dallas if he liked it there but going UFA Oleksiak was getting overpaid. He got even more overpaid than i thought he would be not to go UFA by Seattle.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I couldn't see him sign for less than 4 . Not because he deserved it but because this was his one shot to really get paid. Maybe to return to Dallas if he liked it there but going UFA Oleksiak was getting overpaid. He got even more overpaid than i thought he would be not to go UFA by Seattle.

If Bbinz does what he did last year and get a few more Toffoli and Andersons, Oleksiak would be part of playoff runs.

Doesn't matter. There is a pile of defensive prospects on the way. With the Kraken, olek is their top 2. With the Habs he's a top 6.....

Moving on...

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
I want to root for the Kraken. Let's look at his move in context. People are complaining about 1-1.5 million too much...that money is inconsequential to the Kraken. The term of 5 years is probably 2 years too much, fair points. This guy will play on the PK and munch minutes regardless of 2nd or 3rd pair play. So I think many will agree Oleksiak should have got no more than 3.5/3 years. Truth is he probably outplays that contract if he's healthy.

So is the contract bad? It's below average. Who cares though, they're not going anywhere in the next two years. It's a fairly stabilizing pick, if not subpar asset management, but at the end of the day it won't make a difference.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Can a player be both underrated and overpaid? Why, yes!

Actually, the money is not way off, just the term and NTC.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I want to root for the Kraken. Let's look at his move in context. People are complaining about 1-1.5 million too much...that money is inconsequential to the Kraken. The term of 5 years is probably 2 years too much, fair points. This guy will play on the PK and munch minutes regardless of 2nd or 3rd pair play. So I think many will agree Oleksiak should have got no more than 3.5/3 years. Truth is he probably outplays that contract if he's healthy.

So is the contract bad? It's below average. Who cares though, they're not going anywhere in the next two years. It's a fairly stabilizing pick, if not subpar asset management, but at the end of the day it won't make a difference.

I think it all comes down to whether or not Oleksiak will be a solid 2nd pairing Dman over the term of the contract.

If he can hold onto a #3-4 slot then $4.xM for any Dman is at worst tolerable and often very good value.

If Oleksiak drops down to a #5-6 slot then this contract will be terrible.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Ok after checking Seattle GM draft picks I thought he may have some sort of a secret plan, now after looking at this contract I say no, he does not. He really is an idiot :laugh:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think it all comes down to whether or not Oleksiak will be a solid 2nd pairing Dman over the term of the contract.

If he can hold onto a #3-4 slot then $4.xM for any Dman is at worst tolerable and often very good value.

Last season was the first year Oleksiak actually looked like a top4 guy . Still had some of his usual brainfarts and mistakes but was good and got to play 20+ minutes because of that.

He got a big deal out a career year before he was set to become UFA. That rarely ends up in good contracts.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018

I can agree with this. That term and cap hit becomes unbearable if he's a 5-6 on the decline.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Reminds me of the Alzner contract. Same AAV, same term, more restrictive NTC though. Same age at signature.

Both defensive defensemen with size.
But Alzner had not missed a game in 7 years prior.

Oleksiak has yet to play a full 82 game season.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Reminds me of the Alzner contract. Same AAV, same term, more restrictive NTC though. Same age at signature.

Both defensive defensemen with size.
But Alzner had not missed a game in 7 years prior.

Oleksiak has yet to play a full 82 game season.

Oleksiak is not a defensive defenseman. That approach was tried for many many years it allways failed. He became good once he got more involved into the offense. If you want him play shutdown defender prepare for disapointment.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Oleksiak is not a defensive defenseman. That approach was tried for many many years it allways failed. He became good once he got more involved into the offense. If you want him play shutdown defender prepare for disapointment.

Truthfully have not seen him play a lot or ever. But what??? The guy has 14 pts as his max production... and you tell me he's good in a an offensive role??? That's awful offensively no?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Truthfully have not seen him play a lot or ever. But what??? The guy has 14 pts as his max production... and you tell me he's good in a an offensive role??? That's awful offensively no?

He's a fantastic puck carrier and a good skater and he loves to activate from the point. ( sometimes even in dumb moments ) . His subpar passing is holding him back a bit though.

For Oleksiak to be effective he needs to carry the puck and do it alot. If he's not allowed to do that he won't work .

He's a bit like a running back in football. Have him skate the puck from the backend and have opposing players more or less bounce off him while he carries it into the zone.

He still not a huge points generater but he will generate offensive zone time for your team.

Last edited:
Reactions: abo9 and Kcb12345

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad