Confirmed Signing with Link: [SEA/DAL] Kraken select and sign Jamie Oleksiak (5 years, $4.6M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bov

Nov 13, 2010
That's quite a contract. Hope he lives up to it, I have a feeling it will turn out better than people expect.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Between some absolutely bizarre and bad picks (some of which seem like Hak-based decisions) as well as this signing, Seattle looks like it might be pretty badly run.

Their justification for making some bad expansion picks was tons of cap space, then they use it on this. So, explain that rationale now fellas.

Yea, if you're just going to spend a bunch of cap on a guy who is a solid defenseman but isn't going to significantly move the needle in the short term, I don't know why they wouldn't just do stuff like pick and retain on Tarasenko to get a solid futures package.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Another good signing. Steady smart D with size. Even if its high $, who cares this isn't a cap team yet and gives them a steady presence on the back end.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Yikes that's a big deal. Looks terrible next to Larsson's. Good player, but don't think they'll be happy in a few years.

TheNorthStars

Stars/Leafs
Sep 3, 2018
Damn.. he secured his bag. Thats a rich contract for Big Rig but who knows what it looks like in a few years when the cap rises.. Happy for him

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Thats just too much . Wouldn't have wanted Dallas to sign him to that.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Oleksiak's aren't scared of water. But Jamie is not scared of the Kraken. Lame joke, but I thought it was funny considering Jamie is going to a team water-related when his sister, the better athlete, is a swimmer.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
It looks rough now.
For an expansion team, I think its alright

Its not like this is year four and they signed him to that. They need somebody to wake up happy in the morning and get guys raring to play. One or two bad contracts to accomplish that isnt a bad thing IMO

serp

Jan 17, 2016
At that pricetag i didn't want Dallas to re-sign him and i like Oleksiak. Stars must've offered a decent deal and Seattle went f*** it lets go and really overpay.

Good for Jamie to get the best deal he could .

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
And who among them is better? Has more experience? Pretty short list after Gio and Larsson.

You have to evaluate the signing in context. The context is that Seattle has zero other options and needs to take what few proven commodities are out there. $4.6m x 5 is a lulwhut grade for a cap strapped team but it's great for Seattle.

Unless it turns out to be a disaster its going rate for top 4 shutdown Dmen. Its what the cap says the most average players should make.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Unless it turns out to be a disaster its going rate for top 4 shutdown Dmen. Its what the cap says the most average players should make.

He's not a shutdown defenseman. If you sign him for that he'll be a failure.

He's an excellent puck carrier that can lead the breakout . Thats by far the best part of his game.

His defensive game is filled with many brainfarts.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
He's not a shutdown defenseman. If you sign him for that he'll be a failure.

He's an excellent puck carrier that can lead the breakout . Thats by far the best part of his game.

His defensive game is filled with many brainfarts.

The Dman leading the rush is over so is pond hockey.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Based on what? There was only 66 defensemen who made 4.6 million or higher last year, and if you spread the cap evenly over a 23 man roster it would be 3.54 million. Sure it takes some time for the average to catch up with new deals, but 4.6 is still roughly #3 defenseman money. Last year, Oleksiak averaged just over 20 min for the first time in his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad