Confirmed Signing with Link: [SEA/DAL] Kraken select and sign Jamie Oleksiak (5 years, $4.6M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
He's a fantastic puck carrier and a good skater and he loves to activate from the point. ( sometimes even in dumb moments ) . His subpar passing is holding him back a bit though.

For Oleksiak to be effective he needs to carry the puck and do it alot. If he's not allowed to do that he won't work .

He's a bit like a running back in football. Have him skate the puck from the backend and have opposing players more or less bounce off him while he carries it into the zone.

He still not a huge points generater but he will generate offensive zone time for your time.

And is very very prone to getting caught up the ice/giving up odd man rushes too, which is a side effect of him being aggressive offensively yet not very good offensively at the same time

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
And is very very prone to getting caught up the ice/giving up odd man rushes too, which is a side effect of him being aggressive offensively yet not very good offensively at the same time

It's pretty crazy this guy got traded twice within the last three or four years for basically nothing and now is suddenly a 2nd pairing guy worth nearly 4.6 for five years.

Like this is basically the Mike Matheson contract eh?

Reactions: HockeyWooot

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Isn't he more like a $3M per season player? That's $1.6M too much per year during a 5 year span... yikes.

They have the capspace etc but still.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
first move that shows Kraken is like the rest of the NHL, reaching and overspending some for what they want.
I find their whole draft baffling for the most part. Granted things can change fast but they certainly didn't pick the best available players and are taking a big gamble in net, signing these two seems like a win now but their picks scream basement, very odd.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Huge difference $10.5M in a potential backup in a few years in way worse. Oleksiak can be moved easier than Price if needed.

He has a full NTC for the first 3 years ( 16 team clause for the 2 years after that ). If he sucks the Kraken are stuck with him for the forseeable future.

At leasts its not a NMC so he could be buried i guess.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
He has a full NTC for the first 3 years ( 16 team clause for the 2 years after that ). If he sucks the Kraken are stuck with him for the forseeable future.
Yeah but they could retain $1-1.6M (or more) and easily move him to one of the teams not on his list.

Price's contract is way worse. Price is way better but he's 34 and he's signed until he's 39 at one of the biggest caphits in the entire league. Price has been mediocre the last seasons, look up his stats.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Yeah but they could retain $1-1.6M (or more) and easily move him to one of the teams not on his list.

Price's contract is way worse. Price is way better but he's 34 and he's signed until he's 39 at one of the biggest caphits in the entire league. Price has been mediocre the last seasons, look up his stats.

I mean yes there isn't a world where the Kraken should've taken Price. I don't really like the goaltending they've chosen but at leasts its not expensive as hell.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
He's a fantastic puck carrier and a good skater and he loves to activate from the point. ( sometimes even in dumb moments ) . His subpar passing is holding him back a bit though.

For Oleksiak to be effective he needs to carry the puck and do it alot. If he's not allowed to do that he won't work .

He's a bit like a running back in football. Have him skate the puck from the backend and have opposing players more or less bounce off him while he carries it into the zone.

He still not a huge points generater but he will generate offensive zone time for your team.

ahhh ok thanks, that's good ti know

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
So....unless I'm missing anyone, Dallas's blueline as it stands right now:

Klingberg-Lindell
Heiskanen-_______
Sekera-Hanley

x-Shea, Harley, Barteaux

UFAs: Vatanen, Pysyk, Fedun

RFAs: Honka, Cecconi, Rosburg, Gleason

Couple names on there I haven't heard in a while, but I imagine Harley's going to get a strong look at camp to try and break into the top 6. Maybe they keep Vatanen around, to continue the whole "West Finland" vibe. Honka's probably run out of rope.

Should make for an interesting off-season, at any rate, to see how they replace Big Rig.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
It's pretty crazy this guy got traded twice within the last three or four years for basically nothing and now is suddenly a 2nd pairing guy worth nearly 4.6 for five years.

Like this is basically the Mike Matheson contract eh?
Playing two seasons in a row with Miro will get you paid.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I honestly assumed he would be one of those guys this offseason that won't sign till later on due to teams focusing on others.. then when it came to him, it would be a 1 year extremely cheap deal due to the flat cap.. like a 1 year 1 mill type deal

Obviously I just didn't watch enough of him cause I didn't realize he was worth this much

This contract blew my mind.. I still keep assuming it's a typo or something

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I honestly assumed he would be one of those guys this offseason that won't sign till later on due to teams focusing on others.. then when it came to him, it would be a 1 year extremely cheap deal due to the flat cap.. like a 1 year 1 mill type deal

Obviously I just didn't watch enough of him cause I didn't realize he was worth this much

This contract blew my mind.. I still keep assuming it's a typo or something

Ok the deal is bad, but thinking he would sign 1 year 1 million is mind boggling.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
It really has nothing to do with this season though? After his ELC he was worth more than 1 year, 1 million.

Ok

I just remember reading people complaining about his previous contract when he was making 2+ per year and saying he wasn't worth that

Cause before that he kept signing 1 year deals under a mill per

But hey, good on him getting this deal... its a massive accomplishment for him getting this

RxPens

Oct 7, 2008
It's not as large of an overpayment as most here are claiming. Going to free agency after the year he had (albeit, with MH), he was bound to get 4x4 from someone. There reportedly were lots of teams interested. I think the extra year and 600K is what it took to bring him to Seattle over a city he may have preferred.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad