Post-Game Talk: "Scheifele wins the draw, Ladd shoots it high!" And other ref stories. Jets fall 4-3.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Don't tell that to his cult. ;)

Anyways, don't know if anyone noticed, but Trouba had a rough game in his own end. Liked his aggressiveness offensively at least.

I'm gonna guess no one except maybe about 4 other people noticed Trouba was bad defensively? :laugh:

I think you were too busy puck watching like him and the rest of our defense on 3 of those goals.

This game really stood out. He hadn't been playing well, but he was just straight bad tonight. Our defensive zone play as a whole was weak against an offensively challenged team.

Still played bad.

lol I'm not really sure how to explain it, yet even if I did, you wouldn't agree. So why ask something that no matter what the answer, you'll just argue against?

One guy went right around him and he played a 3on2 pretty bad in the 3rd where Stuart had to bail him out. Trouba is playing like a bottom pairing defenseman defensively right now. Sure, he's adding points, but his defense is rather lack luster at the moment.

Stuart stood out pretty big when he bailed Trouba out for that 3on2. :laugh:

His career SV% suggests he's nothing more then a backup, like Pavelec, right? I mean, that's what's always been brought up. Now, an extremely small sample size is supposed to be huge evidence? Come on now people. Montoya, until he proves otherwise, is no more then Pavs.

Anyways, can we all just focus on something that can hopefully actually be fixed going forward this season? Like you know, our defensive coverage? Or are we just going to absolve our defense again...? ;)

Trying too hard Big Tuna....Jacob could have been better but he wasn't 8 posts bad type level.....you are using a hammer to kill a fly. ;) Hey in Ottawa they have an expression for how Jacob played tonight .....Norris trophy baby :sarcasm:

Prospects always get an unfair lift by fans but you have seen this Jets fan base turn ugly on every roster player now at some point or another.....equal opportunity "HaitAS"

I am just thrilled for all the negative posters who finally get a bit of relief from the Maurice era nightmare that has taken place! :sarcasm:

:p:

That Chefly kid seems to be working out ok so far.

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
Just rewatched the highlights. It's shocking how out of position Pavelec was on that 3rd goal. Shocking. Can't believe a guy this positionally unsound is in the NHL. Loved the effort level from our boys every game since Maurice took over tho.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I've mentioned it before, confirmation bias. You don't go in thinking "I hope he fails" but I guarantee you that there are people who would see a Pavelec goal and blame him who would see the exact same goal on Montoya and say it wasn't his fault. It's not consciously hoping for him to fail, it's an unconscious bias that upholds one's beliefs. Once again, everyone does it.

I blame Pavelec for the first goal 100%, and I think that he gave up many chances from poor positioning and rebound control, but those didn't cost us. We were scored on a ridiculous passing play that went from side to side 3 times, on a cross crease play immediately after one of our players got hit in the numbers, and a scramble resulting from a deflected puck by our own player on net. Not going to put this loss or any of those 3 goals on him.

Overall I thought it was a good game. Scheifele was awesome, Trouba had a few hiccoughs but honestly I kind of expected those to start around this time of year as it's difficult to go from a ~25 game schedule to an 82 game schedule, the Olympic break should re-energize him. LLW was good. Not really a game I can be upset about. Thought we played well and it could have easily gone either way.

I just wanted to highlight this because it irks me. Everyone gives Pavs all these free passes on letting goals in because of deflections, but he's literally one of the worst goalies in the entire NHL (if not the worst) at saving deflected shots. I'm pretty sure it's because of his awful positioning, but I have no idea.

Essentially someone has been tracking shot types across goalies and Pavelec has a save % of .564 against deflected shots. The league average against deflections was calculated as .735. That difference is ASTOUNDING.

jetkarma*

I think the most that can be said of Chevy's contribution to the Scheifele pick, was he let the scouts do their job...and to be fair, I was saying the same thing when people were tearing out their hair about passing up on Couturier and Hamilton.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/top-scout-will-run-draft-show-123983754.html

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...-still-out-there-148837215.html?device=mobile

I don't buy that 100% , not that I dismiss the scouts of course. I mean Chevy was asst GM and obviously had access to scouts too , I am sure he reached out and I believe a big factor was Hawerchuk. Call it symmetry , synergy whatever , ultimately he made the call . Maybe the scouts liked other players in previous drafts more than what the GM at the time did , we don't know.

Chevy made the decision and it was based on what he knew and was told , he could have played it safe or what most would have presumed to be safe , but it certainly looks like the right call . One that a building franchise can point to down the road and see it as a turning point.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
Trying too hard Big Tuna....Jacob could have been better but he wasn't 8 posts bad type level.....you are using a hammer to kill a fly. ;) Hey in Ottawa they have an expression for how Jacob played tonight .....Norris trophy baby :sarcasm:

LOL! Well played.

That Chefly kid seems to be working out ok so far.

:nod:

It's been so awesome to watch his progression this year. The scary thing is that I don't think he has even tapped in to one of the key areas of the Scheifele arsenal. Remember how many goals he scored in the OHL by anticipating a pass or rebound and just slamming it home from 5-7 feet out? Funny thing is that he's had a handful of those chances this year, but just hasn't converted.

He needs Dino Ciccarelli or Dave Andreychuk to teach him "NHL Garbage Goals 101" this summer. :D

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I just wanted to highlight this because it irks me. Everyone gives Pavs all these free passes on letting goals in because of deflections, but he's literally one of the worst goalies in the entire NHL (if not the worst) at saving deflected shots. I'm pretty sure it's because of his awful positioning, but I have no idea.

Essentially someone has been tracking shot types across goalies and Pavelec has a save % of .564 against deflected shots. The league average against deflections was calculated as .735. That difference is ASTOUNDING.

I wasn't aware that there was that much of a discrepancy. That is pretty significant. In this case though, would it be counted as a deflected goal against or a save? Because he did make the initial save and then it went in after another few whacks at it. Not in any way trying to excuse him of these numbers just curious as to how it's calculated.

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net

Absolutely. The guy gets so many excuses made for him. Guess what it's the NHL you should be able to stop the odd deflection or passing play. Passing play? Really? Now were giving the guy a break because they made a good pass entering our zone? They made the 4th pass just inside our blue line and Pav was already so far out of his net he couldn't even reach his stick back. Scary were stuck with him for 4 more years.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
LOL! Well played.

:nod:

It's been so awesome to watch his progression this year. The scary thing is that I don't think he has even tapped in to one of the key areas of the Scheifele arsenal. Remember how many goals he scored in the OHL by anticipating a pass or rebound and just slamming it home from 5-7 feet out? Funny thing is that he's had a handful of those chances this year, but just hasn't converted.

He needs Dino Ciccarelli or Dave Andreychuk to teach him "NHL Garbage Goals 101" this summer. :D

It is a good point Mark appears to have ice water running through his veins yet he has missed a few golden opportunities on the doorstep this season that I am sure will not elude him very often in the future. His goal and assist tonight were both fun to watch and provided a silver lining to the darkness of defeat. No Kane no problem......just put up a couple of points and torment the other team all night.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Absolutely. The guy gets so many excuses made for him. Guess what it's the NHL you should be able to stop the odd deflection or passing play. Passing play? Really? Now were giving the guy a break because they made a good pass entering our zone? They made the 4th pass just inside our blue line and Pav was already so far out of his net he couldn't even reach his stick back. Scary were stuck with him for 4 more years.

I'm pretty sure it came from this article (I'm not sure why the images aren't showing for me right now - this is a table comparing Pavelec next to some other goalies http://www.sportsnet.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/BOYLE_2.jpg):
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/maple-leafs-reimer-showing-unique-ability/

He actually does some decent stuff on goaltending as a whole.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB

Just spitballing, but IMO it's not so much positioning as it is mentality and the fundamentals you have drilled into you.

You can have two goaltenders in the exact same physical position in the crease for a deflection. Better goaltenders will keep their shape and look the deflection into their hands or pads. Weaker goalies approach it as an exercise in reflexes, and wind up overplaying or misjudging the deflections.

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb
Schief, Wheeler and Frolik showed up at forward position

Ladd, Little pretty stale since November

Joki, Seto and Buff remind me of the movie Las Vegas, old guys out to lunch

PAVS crap

Buff should have been playing with Schief and Wheeler, aside from the goal Thorburn invisible

Little, as of tonights game, had 11 points in 10 games. He is not the problem, bot to mention his smart 2 way play. In fact he quietly carries more than his fair share.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
From what I understand the correlation between Sv% and team is tiny, Pavelec has had a below average Sv% his entire career = Pavelec isn't very good regardless of the team playing in front of him or He has some how managed to play on teams with historically bad defences his entire career. Am I missing something here?

citizenmundane

Nov 3, 2013
Did anyone notice the sequence where Wheeler had the puck down in the Preds corner - Thorbum skated right by him and was basically begging for a pass cuz he was open and I assume wanted to get a cycle going. Wheeler was like "Um no. I won't be passing to you. We need to get a scoring chance here." I LOL'd at the TV.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Did anyone notice the sequence where Wheeler had the puck down in the Preds corner - Thorbum skated right by him and was basically begging for a pass cuz he was open and I assume wanted to get a cycle going. Wheeler was like "Um no. I won't be passing to you. We need to get a scoring chance here." I LOL'd at the TV.

yep, talk about setting yourself up to fail - thorbs on your main scoring line & Pavs is your last line of defense:help::help::help:

GrowJetsGrow

Jan 11, 2014
East of MTS Centre
Sooo... we beat the Chicago Blackhawks (in Chicago no less!) and 2 nights later we lose to the Nashville Predators. At HOME.

This-Airplane-Seems-Legit2.jpg

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Coach-Maurice-post-game-January-28-2014-300x170.jpg

Coach Maurice - Assessment of the game. On the goals against. On need to be more disciplined. Focus moving forward. Being run hard (minutes played). On Setoguchi’s penalty.

To listen click here.

January-28-2014-Preds-beat-Jets-4-3-300x200.jpg

Game recaps, post-game audio, video highlights and the NHL.com 3 Stars of the night.

For above click here.

Last edited:

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Sooo... we beat the Chicago Blackhawks (in Chicago no less!) and 2 nights later we lose to the Nashville Predators. At HOME.

This-Airplane-Seems-Legit2.jpg

Don't want to hang too much on missing just one guy, but you can really tell how much Kane was missed out there. Also the lack of depth is starting to wear guys down a bit; three forward lines, two D pairings, starting to carry too many minutes. And it doesn't help that one of those forward lines is missing an important piece, and the third forward line is cold right now.

The team is playing hard the last 8 games but I don't know if the intensity, and accompanying results, are sustainable without Kane or a suitable replacement in there. Third forward line, third D pairing, and goaltending have to step it up. Can't count on Wheeler and Scheifele scoring several every game.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Wonder if Maurice now regrets starting Pavs after his brutal play against TO and the fine play of Monty last game.:help: Monty should have been in net against the Preds

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Monty will get the next start. The Olympic break can't come soon enough. It will allow the guys to reset and refresh themselves. Looking forward to seeing Slater back.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Scheif was unbelievable tonight - turning into a monster, and seems to be dangerous almost every shift.

He moved into 3rd position in scoring. Only a couple of weeks or so ago, he was in 8th. Go Scheif! Other good news: we're 6-2 in the last 8. :nod:

|Player |Team |Pos |GP |G |A |P|+/- |PIM |PPG |PPP |SHG |SHP |GW |OT |S |S% |TOI/G |Sft/G |FO%
1|MacKinnon|COL|C|52|18|17|35|7|18|7|10|0|0|4|0|149|12.1|16:20|20.3|41.8
2|Johnson|TBL|C|53|16|18|34|15|18|3|8|1|1|3|0|120|13.3|18:48|24.5|47
3|Scheifele|WPG|C|55|11|20|31|6|10|1|4|0|0|2|1|87|12.6|16:12|19.7|42.4
4|Kreider|NYR|L|47|13|17|30|14|60|6|11|0|0|0|0|100|13|16:28|21.8|18.2
5|Krug|BOS|D|52|11|18|29|9|18|5|15|0|0|2|1|112|9.8|17:28|22|50
6|Palat|TBL|L|53|11|18|29|22|16|0|1|1|1|2|0|104|10.6|17:04|22.9|15.6
7|Hertl|SJS|C|35|15|10|25|11|2|3|3|0|0|3|0|94|16|15:19|21.9|56.9
8|Nichushkin|DAL|R|50|11|14|25|15|6|2|3|0|0|1|0|85|12.9|15:00|19|0
9|Chiasson|DAL|R|51|9|15|24|-20|28|3|8|0|0|2|0|98|9.2|15:51|21.6|46.3
10|Barkov|FLA|C|50|8|16|24|-1|8|3|6|0|0|1|0|80|10|17:01|22.8|49.5

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Hey, I thought Buff not at defense was supposed to change Pav's sv%?

Haha I was tied up after the game and couldn't come to post, just got free and came here to make this exact post :laugh:

But seriously. I thought Buff was the cancer at the core of our poor defence? How come we still have "bad defence" eventhough Buff is no longer playing D? :sarcasm:

There are a number of posters who definitely want Pavelec to fail.

What possible motivation could anyone have to want Pavelec to fail? You make it sound like there's something personal that people have against him which does not make sense. Obviously a couple of posters take it too far with the hate directed at him but as Jets fans there is no logical reason for people to want him to fail.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
If they were going to lose to the Preds atleast they did it in regulation. Better that than get a loser point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad