Post-Game Talk: "Scheifele wins the draw, Ladd shoots it high!" And other ref stories. Jets fall 4-3.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
[NHL]2013020802-451-h[/NHL]

[NHL]2013020802-453-ingame-h[/NHL]

Pretty amazing shift by Scheifele right there.

He looked a bit like a Malkin clone later in the game when he drove behind the net and went for the backhand wraparound.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
The problem is that he's still our starting goalie. We need a new one, no way around that. Until then, no matter who you have as a coach, this will be an ongoing issue with this team, unfortunately.

somebody has got to explain to me how Pavs keeps getting starts. Everyone knew he played the craps last game, Monty plays the lights out, we have a different coach who says he plays the "hot" goaltender, and then they/he sticks Pavs back in net.

Given that, and sticking Thorbs on the scoring line, you're just asking for a loss. You can't tell me it wouldn't make a lot more sense sticking Gooch on the scoring line and Thorbs on the third line. You can't tell me it doesn't make more sense going with the hot goadtender whose just played the lights out, has won more games than he's lost, etc. etc.

I don't mind losing the odd game, but we just threw this one away.

RonJon

May 18, 2011
Well pardy and ellerby don't really help.....

edit: unless your implying that the jets d in general is bad, then yeah true dat.

Pardy and Ellerby looked like all stars compared to Trouba. Easily his worst game as a pro. Bogo and Toby were no better.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Don't give them stuff. Atleast not the people who cheer for the Canucks. Tell them they're too drunk.

All the Canuck fan regs there know I'm a Jets fan. A few Canucks Army / Leafs Nations bloggers are regs too and know I write for AIH. If Jets don't win, it will not be a fun shift. But if the Jets destroy them... :naughty:

There are a number of posters who definitely want Pavelec to fail.

I'd say Res, Truck, Jet and myself are all in the top 10 of Pav's toughest critics... but all of us have congratulated Pavelec when done well. We (some far more than others) just point out when the results have been as would generally expect.

Well pardy and ellerby don't really help.....

edit: unless your implying that the jets d in general is bad, then yeah true dat.

No... I'm implying that defensemen don't have much long term control over Sv%.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
somebody has got to explain to me how Pavs keeps getting starts. Everyone knew he played the craps last game, Monty plays the lights out, we have a different coach who says he plays the "hot" goaltender, and then they/he sticks Pavs back in net.

Given that, and sticking Thorbs on the scoring line, you're just asking for a loss. You can't tell me it wouldn't make a lot more sense sticking Gooch on the scoring line and Thorbs on the third line. You can't tell me it doesn't make more sense going with the hot goadtender whose just played the lights out, has won more games than he's lost, etc. etc.

One theory:

Maurice is here to evaluate the players, including Pavelec + Thorburn.

Second theory:

Pav's did play well in all but 1 of his starts under Maurice.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

Because management wants to make Pavs work as the #1 guy. They've said as much.

Which is going to go down as easily their biggest mistake so far.

Avocado Coolranch

Just a fool
Jul 1, 2012
Vancouver
The thing I don't understand about people who say Pav's save % is bad because of the defense are essentially saying we the worst defense in the NHL.

I can easily list off defenses and teams who are worse and play worse team defense yet they still have goalies with better save % than Pavelec.

I wouldn't say the worse defense in the NHL. Probably most inconsistent yeah... I just don't understand why all the blame is on pav ALL THE TIME. People need to realize that there are also issues with the defense just as much as the goaltending. That being said, if goaltending was the absolute reason for why the jets lose all the time and it was just as simple as having Montoya starting all the time to solve it, why doesn't the coaching staff/management do it?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

I believe that Pavelec is going to be a drag on this team for as long as he's under contract - which, as I just noted, is for 3 more seasons after this one. This team will not make the playoffs with him playing 65-75 games each season. He's not good, he's not average, he's not even merely below-average - he's got to be the worst starting goalie in the league over the last 3 seasons. You want to shell out $8000 or $9000 a year for season tickets for the next three seasons knowing that? I'm not sure what it would take for Chevy to buy him out this summer...sub .750 SV% the rest of the way? Whatever it is, I hope it happens. /rant

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I'd like to go in the middle:

Small sample / short term stats show Montoya has earned larger share of the workload.

Large sample / long term stats show Jets fans should not expect "Raskian" results.

More then fair enough.

Maybe I can put it to you this way. Our defence this game was a C-. Our goaltending was a F. A solid F. Holding them both up as reasons we lost is a false equivalency.

If our goaltending was even a D we likely win. If our Defence played at an A level we still lose with the goaltending we got.

So why didn't you respond to my other post?

Should that not imply they should play a more equal amount of starts, then? The Jets should have a platoon system but it's because they have two backup goaltenders and not two capable starters.

Well, now that Pavs has had two bad games in a row under PM, we can see what happens. :)

The cherry picking is HILARIOUS.
I'm a Jets fan, so unlike others here I actually hope every one of our players succeed. If Monty can take the bull by the horns and play his way into the starting position, I'll be thrilled, but let's see how he does with more than a handful of starts before we annoint him the Jets' saviour.

So is the irony... :rolleyes:

Wait...Allan Walsh...is that you??? Please feel free to **** us on the Frolik negotiations this summer too.

For you? Sure. ;)

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman

I really don't think that's true. Even the deepest Pavelec haters don't think before the night, "boy, I hope he lets in a bunch tonight because I hate him" why? Because we are all Jets fans. There are a few of us that really want him gone, but fairly sure we all want him to do well.

jetkarma*

All the Canuck fan regs there know I'm a Jets fan. A few Canucks Army / Leafs Nations bloggers are regs too and know I write for AIH. If Jets don't win, it will not be a fun shift. But if the Jets destroy them... :naughty:

I'd say Res, Truck, Jet and myself are all in the top 10 of Pav's toughest critics... but all of us have congratulated Pavelec when done well. We (some far more than others) just point out when the results have been as would generally expect.

No... I'm implying that defensemen don't have much long term control over Sv%.

The trade discussions at closing time must be fun ;)

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

...if the Jets destroy them you won't be staying late to count your tip money, I bet! :)

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

There is a massive difference between all four of you with regards to that, just so you know. Actually, you're smart Garret, I'm sure you already know. :laugh:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I really don't think that's true. Even the deepest Pavelec haters don't think before the night, "boy, I hope he lets in a bunch tonight because I hate him" why? Because we are all Jets fans. There are a few of us that really want him gone, but fairly sure we all want him to do well.

Pretty sure if you pay attention closely, you'll find at least one person that does that. ACtually, I'm pretty sure someone has basically said that.:laugh:

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I wouldn't say the worse defense in the NHL. Probably most inconsistent yeah... I just don't understand why all the blame is on pav ALL THE TIME. People need to realize that there are also issues with the defense just as much as the goaltending. That being said, if goaltending was the absolute reason for why the jets lose all the time and it was just as simple as having Montoya starting all the time to solve it, why doesn't the coaching staff/management do it?

That's the problem though. It's really not even at all. It's more like 70& on goaltending and 30% on defense.

and I mean seriously? Most inconsistent? Have you EVER watched a Leafs game? Unless you were implying they're consistently poor...

Florida, Calgary, Washington, just to start. All worse defensively, all better save %'s. Right off the top of my head.

Avocado Coolranch

Just a fool
Jul 1, 2012
Vancouver
Pardy and Ellerby looked like all stars compared to Trouba. Easily his worst game as a pro. Bogo and Toby were no better.

yet pardy with only 12 mins and ellerby with 10 for this game. Clearly the coach does not trust them. Trouba with 24 mins btw and still a rookie and is learning so I tend to give him more slack. Bogo and toby have been meh but probably a better option to ride them then pardy and ellerby.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg

I want him to fail. Its clear to me and has been for a long time he isn't the answer. The more he sucks the better the chance we have something done this off season in that front. If you want to make the playoffs like everyone does, he is not the guy thats going to take you there.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Schief, Wheeler and Frolik showed up at forward position

Ladd, Little pretty stale since November

Joki, Seto and Buff remind me of the movie Las Vegas, old guys out to lunch

PAVS crap

Buff should have been playing with Schief and Wheeler, aside from the goal Thorburn invisible

Little has had 11 points in the last 11 games. Not stale, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad