Post-Game Talk: "Scheifele wins the draw, Ladd shoots it high!" And other ref stories. Jets fall 4-3.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
As others have said, Scheifele is just a pleasure to watch, excelling in every facet of the game.
Seto is the opposite--no defensive instincts, looks indifferent on the ice and his selfish penalty cost us the game. The trade deadline can't come too soon.

Not sure what contender wants to give up anything at all for Seto. Where does he even fit in on a good team? He's terrible on the 3rd line of a mediocre team...

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
His career SV% suggests he's nothing more then a backup, like Pavelec, right? I mean, that's what's always been brought up. Now, an extremely small sample size is supposed to be huge evidence? Come on now people. Montoya, until he proves otherwise, is no more then Pavs.

Anyways, can we all just focus on something that can hopefully actually be fixed going forward this season? Like you know, our defensive coverage? Or are we just going to absolve our defense again...? ;)

The cherry picking is HILARIOUS.
I'm a Jets fan, so unlike others here I actually hope every one of our players succeed. If Monty can take the bull by the horns and play his way into the starting position, I'll be thrilled, but let's see how he does with more than a handful of starts before we annoint him the Jets' saviour.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
His career SV% suggests he's nothing more then a backup, like Pavelec, right? I mean, that's what's always been brought up. Now, an extremely small sample size is supposed to be huge evidence? Come on now people. Montoya, until he proves otherwise, is no more then Pavs.

Anyways, can we all just focus on something that can hopefully actually be fixed going forward this season? Like you know, our defensive coverage? Or are we just going to absolve our defense again...? ;)

Wait...Allan Walsh...is that you??? Please feel free to **** us on the Frolik negotiations this summer too.

White Out 403*

I'm a Jets fan, so unlike others here I actually hope every one of our players succeed. If Monty can take the bull by the horns and play his way into the starting position, I'll be thrilled, but let's see how he does with more than a handful of starts before we annoint him the Jets' saviour.

more than a handful? hes played 16 games this year. thats like... 3 handfuls...

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Hoping for success and expecting success are two different things.

I don't think there is a single member on this board that doesn't hope for success of these guys. We all just have differing opinions on what we expect the most likely outcome is.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

Except in the vast majority of his starts he HAS proven otherwise and therefore should be given more chances to emphasize that proof.

Last edited:

lighthouses

Jan 12, 2014
I am starting an initiative, every time Paul Maurice says #compete, I will donate five cents to the initiative.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Bolded is pretty accurate I'd say. We've got two backups. But after Pavs played less than stellar against the Leafs, Monty played pretty darn well against the Hawks. And we started Pavs.

So management clearly is not interested in looking at the short term stats (this season), they want or need Pavelec to be the starter. For reasons that only they know.

The defense in front of the guy playing goal remains relatively constant. Did it suck tonight and other nights? Yes, yes it did. But I think the frustration comes with the "easy" goals that get let in. Monty let one of those in against the Hawks. Pavs let in at least two (I still don't see the deflection off Trouba on the other but I'll let it slide) and at least one absolutely frickin' horrendous goal tonight where he was minimum five feet outside of his crease on the wrong side (i.e. not where the shot ultimately came from). I would contend Montoya stops that puck because he's a 'quieter' goalie. That's a 3-3 game going into overtime.

White Out 403*

Montoya is 925 save % over 16 games this year. Pavelec is 901 with the lions share of starts. Obviously pavelec is the #1 here.

:shakehead

What does Pavelec have on Winnipeg media and the Jets organization?

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg

Well, I always like to think there is always a possibility, however slim that a person can get better (age and other factors aside). He's still youngish, at 28. I like Monty. I find it a bit of a shame that he's never had a shot as a starter, and only has 63 games under his belt, barely a full season for #1. He's showing some upside this season.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
The Canucks game is on Friday... but I work on Friday.
(For those that do not know, for fun I picked up a job bartending at a sports bar in Vancouver once a weekend)

Oh dear god

Don't give them stuff. Atleast not the people who cheer for the Canucks. Tell them they're too drunk.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
Hoping for success and expecting success are two different things.

I don't think there is a single member on this board that doesn't hope for success of these guys. We all just have differing opinions on what we expect the most likely outcome is.

There are a number of posters who definitely want Pavelec to fail.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

Outside of a solid stretch to end November, Pavelec's save percentage would be embarrassing to a goalie in the early 90s.

Montoya should get some run until he proves he doesn't deserve to start over Pavelec.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Explain Pavelec's contract to me, who was allegedly asleep at the desk when that was signed?

Don't worry - it's only for 3 more seasons after this one. Unless the Jets buy him out this summer...but I assume that's about as likely as making the playoffs at this point.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Just wanted to reiterate this little stat tidbit, since I edited into my old post on the last page.

Montoya actually has more games played where he let's in 1 goal or less (6) compared to Pavelec (5).

While having waaaay less starts.

At this point I don't even care about sample size. Pavelec needs more games to catch up to Montoya outplaying him.

That kinda sums it up.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Wow.

Hell Yes the jets played well tonight. They Hit Hard, they dug, schief was Amazeing legitimately was a post and a half a step away from a hatty, and an assist.

They made mistakes. Some poor ones. So did the Preds, and Chicago, and Pittsburgh.
The difference is if they get sloppy, or make a mistake, Pavs "overcommits^^" and flops around like a dead seal while spilling juicy rebounds.

Every time I see a Pavs game a goal goes in while he's 38 feet away from the net facedown backwards. I have almost never seen that from Monty. his rebound control is better, his side to side mobility is better, his stick handling is Light years better, and his positioning is better.
His sample size as a Jet is getting large enough, and his stats impressive enough to warrant a hard look at who gets Bench time and who gets ice-time.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
That was some of the best bush league officiating I witnessed since the start of the year, none of it matches the now famous Joker/Stuart boarding call, though the Buff slash comes close, but as a whole...that was a streaming pile of lop sided curly turds.

Not saying it was an excuse or reason for the loss, but it sure did not help us any.

Couple players could have put forth at least a B level effort.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
The thing I don't understand about people who say Pav's save % is bad because of the defense are essentially saying we have the worst defense in the entire NHL.

I can easily list off defenses and teams who are worse and play worse team defense yet they still have goalies with better save % than Pavelec.

RonJon

May 18, 2011
I was there to witness that pos. I wanted Monty to play tonight but to hang the loss on Pav is letting too many freeloaders get away with murder. Way too many passengers tonight. That loss was a total team effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad