Post-Game Talk: "Scheifele wins the draw, Ladd shoots it high!" And other ref stories. Jets fall 4-3.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Just wanna point out, since it seems lost on some people. Just because Pavelec only faced 25 shots doesn't mean he lost us the game. Not all shots are of the same quality.

I thought we had more scoring chances. Tonight our goaltending was less than we needed. # 55 almost bailed him out

Last edited:

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
I think you were too busy puck watching like him and the rest of our defense on 3 of those goals.

He was all over the place for shots that didn't go in too. My criticism is not based on just the shots that went in.

Defense was bad too. Was not a good game. That doesn't excuse how far out of position Pavs was in a lot of cases.

Look, I'm not talking about his positioning. I'm talking about him committing so hard to a maneuver that he can't catch himself to correct. There was the one tic-tac-toe goal that was completely on the D, but other than that every goal was bad.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I think the D did enough to give us a chance to win. When you limit the other team to 25 shots, and you're goaltender allows 3 weak goals that should never go in I don't mention the D. Not a chance.

I'm sorry you think that... :help: The defense can and should be better. So should the goaltending. You claim that people are trying to absolve Pavs from a game like this by pointing out that the D was bad, yet when people say that, they are simply covering the other half that some won't mention, like you. Is it not ironic that you also say that yet NEVER talk about anything other then our goaltending? Who's trying to absolve blame here?

Yes, everyone acknowledges Pavs was bad tonight, no one will refute that. But why should I mention it when there are plenty of others that will anyways? All people like me are doing to trying to open up others' eyes when they are stuck on one thing.

Klinger

I was saying Boourns
Aug 27, 2013
PEI
Not long ago, I saw a video of Pavs and Flaherty sitting on the bench talking strategy. The first thing I noticed about Pavs was the complete lack of definiton in his arms. He just does not look like an athlete to me. I know you an look a little "soft" and still be a good goaltender (see Brodeur, Martin) but Pavs does not have the level of natural talent to overcome his lack of fitness. You have access to elite level trainers and equipment, use them.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I though we had more scoring chances. Tonight our goaltending was less than we needed. # 55 almost bailed him out

Yeah, I don't think he was good today. At all. I just think that pointing out that we only had 25 shots against is a piss poor argument, since it tells you nothing about what the game actually looks like. However much quality of shots gets evened out over 3000 shots or whatever, it can make a huge difference in a single game.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Not long ago, I saw a video of Pavs and Flaherty sitting on the bench talking strategy. The first thing I noticed about Pavs was the complete lack of definiton in his arms. He just does not look like an athlete to me. I know you an look a little "soft" and still be a good goaltender (see Brodeur, Martin) but Pavs does not have the level of natural talent to overcome his lack of fitness. You have access to elite level trainers and equipment, use them.

His athleticism is his strength, I would have thought. His judgment and ability to control the puck seem to be the issues.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Just wanted to reiterate this little stat tidbit, since I edited into my old post on the last page.

Montoya actually has more games played where he let's in 1 goal or less (6) compared to Pavelec (5).

While having waaaay less starts.

At this point I don't even care about sample size. Pavelec needs more games to catch up to Montoya outplaying him.

Jetsfan4life

Dec 15, 2013
Usa

So true Pavelec looks like he could possibly be the laundry guy.He has no emotion in his face.He would make a good ahl goalie.He is def not Nhl material.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Yeah, I don't think he was good today. At all. I just think that pointing out that we only had 25 shots against is a piss poor argument, since it tells you nothing about what the game actually looks like. However much quality of shots gets evened out over 3000 shots or whatever, it can make a huge difference in a single game.

You have a point in theory... but this game is a poor example of it.

Overall yes, the fact that shots (or more accurately shot attempts) mirror scoring chance differences -due to shot quality variation being very small- is not overly strong in single games.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Team got outworked seriously in the 2nd period. Anyways, to be a little easier on Ladd, after watching the final seconds from a different angle, the missed shot doesn't look quite as bad (actually looked like it was wide rather than high).

First pic is the shot just as it leaves his stick; he needs to put it between three defenders. Looks like he needs it to be just a couple inches closer to 57's right calf in order to squeeze it inside the post. Height seems ok from that angle. (excuse the quality, they're just snapshots of my TV)

Last edited:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Right. I guess you don't look at facts or evidence. He's obviously much better.

His career SV% suggests he's nothing more then a backup, like Pavelec, right? I mean, that's what's always been brought up. Now, an extremely small sample size is supposed to be huge evidence? Come on now people. Montoya, until he proves otherwise, is no more then Pavs.

Anyways, can we all just focus on something that can hopefully actually be fixed going forward this season? Like you know, our defensive coverage? Or are we just going to absolve our defense again...? ;)

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Jets-bench-January-28-2014-300x200.jpg

Audio: Scheifele, Thorburn, Wheeler & Bogosian.

To listen click here.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
You have a point in theory... but this game is a poor example of it.

Overall yes, the fact that shots (or more accurately shot attempts) mirror scoring chance differences -due to shot quality variation being very small- is not overly strong in single games.

Yeah, I'm not talking about this game in particular. I just saw a lot of talk about the defense limiting them to 25 shots, as if the shot count in a single game was what decided whether the D/Goalie was good.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
His career SV% suggests he's nothing more then a backup, like Pavelec, right? I mean, that's what's always been brought up. Now, an extremely small sample size is supposed to be huge evidence? Come on now people. Montoya, until he proves otherwise, is no more then Pavs.

Anyways, can we all just focus on something that can hopefully actually be fixed going forward this season? Like you know, our defensive coverage? Or are we just going to absolve our defense again...? ;)

I'd like to go in the middle:

Small sample / short term stats show Montoya has earned larger share of the workload.

Large sample / long term stats show Jets fans should not expect "Raskian" results.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Okay whatever. I'm over it now.

Lets just spank the Canucks on Friday. I know more Canucks fans in Calgary than I know Flames fans.

Just beat the Canucks pls

White Out 403*

Maybe I can put it to you this way. Our defence this game was a C-. Our goaltending was a F. A solid F. Holding them both up as reasons we lost is a false equivalency.

If our goaltending was even a D we likely win. If our Defence played at an A level we still lose with the goaltending we got.

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011

Should that not imply they should play a more equal amount of starts, then? The Jets should have a platoon system but it's because they have two backup goaltenders and not two capable starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad