Post-Game Talk: "Scheifele wins the draw, Ladd shoots it high!" And other ref stories. Jets fall 4-3.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I don't regret things very often, but I regret going back and reading this thread. :shakehead

Pretty much the whole team outside of TSW played like ****.
The goaltending wasn't very good, and the whole team defensively was pretty much awful as well.

I thought buff moving to forward, and the new coach was supposed to fix these things? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Trying too hard Big Tuna....Jacob could have been better but he wasn't 8 posts bad type level.....you are using a hammer to kill a fly. ;) Hey in Ottawa they have an expression for how Jacob played tonight .....Norris trophy baby :sarcasm:

Prospects always get an unfair lift by fans but you have seen this Jets fan base turn ugly on every roster player now at some point or another.....equal opportunity "HaitAS"

I am just thrilled for all the negative posters who finally get a bit of relief from the Maurice era nightmare that has taken place! :sarcasm:

:p:

That Chefly kid seems to be working out ok so far.

That one made me chuckle. Getting bent out of shape on a 19 star in the making for a couple mistakes is like getting mad at your puppy for peeing on the carpet. Its gonna happen, he just has to grow up a little bit and things will be fine. Trouba's natural ability and instincts are something to behold not something to **** on.

RonJon

May 18, 2011
I don't regret things very often, but I regret going back and reading this thread. :shakehead

The goaltending wasn't very good, and the whole team defensively was pretty much awful as well.

I thought buff moving too forward, and the new coach was supposed to fix these things? :rolleyes:

The way I saw it too.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I don't want Pavs to fail. I want him to be a better starting goal-tender. If the sample size for Monty is too small to judge him, how much of a sample size is enough? Is 4 or 5 seasons of really quite poor play enough? I think it is. I'd like to ask the Pavs guys what exactly you want to happen from here on out? Do you want the status quo (Pav's starting 6 of every 7 games or so) to maintain no matter what happens? Last night the Jets D wasn't great, but they still only gave up 25 shots and I don't think the average quality of those shots was any better than an average NHL game. 4 goals on 25 shots is not a good game for a goalie. Sorry...it just isn't. Monty should start the next game, and he should stay in until he has a night light that. Then Pavs should go in and if he drops a stinker, back to monty. No more "you're numero uno so you start."

I also think theres something to the whole idea that the team seems to play better in front of Monty. Last night, right from the drop of the puck I thought Pavelec looked out of it. He looked like he was sleepy. Aside from the two weak goals he let in, I thought there were several occasions when his attempts to play the puck interfered with what our D wanted to do. I also found it terrifying on a couple of occasions when he went behind the net to corral a puck and took a painfully long time to amble back into position with pred players swarming the zone. He just seemed really not involved...

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
KingWoodballs;78969625[/QUOTE said:

The term confirmation bias gets thrown around a lot here. Can it apply to a whole team?

The fancy stats say that LLF were a beast of a line last night. Stronger possession than TSW ( who were also pretty darn good.) But one line did all the scoring so the other one played like*** ? SJB on the other hand were dominated in the fancy stats. 4th line held their own.

Our goaltender wasn't good enough but as a team we played well enough to win.

6 of 8 under new guy is still pretty good. I doubt this team can win 3 out of 4 the rest of the way. We're not deep enough and not good enough in net to sustain a run like that. I'd love to be wrong though ;)

Darth Handsome*

So when Rich Clune dove and took that penalty in the 1st I tweeted him. Nice that he favorited my tweet :)

I don't know what looked more fake: his reaction to the "slash" or his orange "suntan".

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
The term confirmation bias gets thrown around a lot here. Can it apply to a whole team?

The fancy stats say that LLF were a beast of a line last night. Stronger possession than TSW ( who were also pretty darn good.) But one line did all the scoring so the other one played like*** ? SJB on the other hand were dominated in the fancy stats. 4th line held their own.

Our goaltender wasn't good enough but as a team we played well enough to win.

6 of 8 under new guy is still pretty good. I doubt this team can win 3 out of 4 the rest of the way. We're not deep enough and not good enough in net to sustain a run like that. I'd love to be wrong though ;)

1) The score board says otherwise.
2) I agree
3) I disagree

Last edited:

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't want Pavs to fail. I want him to be a better starting goal-tender. If the sample size for Monty is too small to judge him, how much of a sample size is enough? Is 4 or 5 seasons of really quite poor play enough? I think it is. I'd like to ask the Pavs guys what exactly you want to happen from here on out? Do you want the status quo (Pav's starting 6 of every 7 games or so) to maintain no matter what happens? Last night the Jets D wasn't great, but they still only gave up 25 shots and I don't think the average quality of those shots was any better than an average NHL game. 4 goals on 25 shots is not a good game for a goalie. Sorry...it just isn't. Monty should start the next game, and he should stay in until he has a night light that. Then Pavs should go in and if he drops a stinker, back to monty. No more "you're numero uno so you start."

I also think theres something to the whole idea that the team seems to play better in front of Monty. Last night, right from the drop of the puck I thought Pavelec looked out of it. He looked like he was sleepy. Aside from the two weak goals he let in, I thought there were several occasions when his attempts to play the puck interfered with what our D wanted to do. I also found it terrifying on a couple of occasions when he went behind the net to corral a puck and took a painfully long time to amble back into position with pred players swarming the zone. He just seemed really not involved...

I think the only people defending pavs at this point are 14 years old and own his jersey. If there are others, I simply don't understand their logic at this point.

On a positive note, I wasnt terribly dissapointed with that game. Scheifele showed us over and over again his first line potential and he is absolute dynamite with Wheeler. I look forward to watching them for years to come. Also have to commend Thorburn for being thrown into a difficult role (again) and having as steady of a game as possible. Our depth is painful

Ramsalot

Rergisterd Uhrser
Jan 17, 2013
Torpronto
I only caught the third. Chef-Flea cooks up a wicked sabretooth tiger, too bad the rest of the team wasn't hungry.

Scheifele, the reason the coaching change looked like it made a big difference :sarcasm:

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Jets-wearing-Rypien-jersey-300x196.jpg

Plenty of reaction to the loss in today's Jets papers. Click here.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
1) The score board says otherwise.
2) I agree
3) I disagree

Seriously?

Ladd-Little-Frolik were quite good last night. I especially liked Frolik, he was on the puck a lot.

They had no chance on the Seth Jones goal. That was ALL on Pavelec. The Roman Josi goal I would put on them. They didn't get a proper backcheck on the rush and it cost them.

Overall though, while they didn't bury any they created a lot of chances. Can't believe you would just look at the scoreboard to anoint who had a good or bad night. That's disappointing.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James

I agree with this. I thought Monty needed to play more regardless of how Pavs plays. Two bad games in a row for Pavelec should show maurice the value of Monty.

Where i have a problem is when certain posters have the blinders on and just look at Pavs play and blame losses on him. Jets had 18 giveaways and were generally sloppy defensively and took some stupid penalties. The rest of the team did not play well enough to win.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Seriously??? More losses than Miller or Dubnyk? Wow... just wow.:shakehead

Pavelec has 21 losses in 42 games, Miller has 20 in 36, Dubnyk has 18 in 34 games. Lundqvist is in 3rd in losses, with 18 in 40 games, which surprises me somewhat, although he gets a lot of starts.

White Out 403*

Seriously?

Ladd-Little-Frolik were quite good last night. I especially liked Frolik, he was on the puck a lot.

They had no chance on the Seth Jones goal. That was ALL on Pavelec. The Roman Josi goal I would put on them. They didn't get a proper backcheck on the rush and it cost them.

Overall though, while they didn't bury any they created a lot of chances. Can't believe you would just look at the scoreboard to anoint who had a good or bad night. That's disappointing.

Some people are so entrenched in their positions defending pavelec im convinced there's no level of play he could stoop to that would open their eyes. for real. he's statistically been balls for 4 years now and they still blame the team as much as him. its such a false equivalence. the team wasn't amazing in front of him but they were good enough to get a win with even MEDIOCRE nhl goaltending. what we got last night from pavelec was bad for an AHL goaltender.

I posted when Pavs and Maurice started fresh that I was cheering for him and wanted him to do well in a fresh start and I'd rather eat crow and enjoy playoff hockey. I wanted him to do well but he's been the same old pavs since maurice came in. he played 2 good games in california, 2 absolute stinkers, and 1 game where he was mediocre at best against edmonton but we managed to out score him. its so predictable.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Some people are so entrenched in their positions defending pavelec im convinced there's no level of play he could stoop to that would open their eyes. for real. he's statistically been balls for 4 years now and they still blame the team as much as him. its such a false equivalence. the team wasn't amazing in front of him but they were good enough to get a win with even MEDIOCRE nhl goaltending. what we got last night from pavelec was bad for an AHL goaltender.

I posted when Pavs and Maurice started fresh that I was cheering for him and wanted him to do well in a fresh start and I'd rather eat crow and enjoy playoff hockey. I wanted him to do well but he's been the same old pavs since maurice came in. he played 2 good games in california, 2 absolute stinkers, and 1 game where he was mediocre at best against edmonton but we managed to out score him. its so predictable.

Let's just say I disagree with the bolded portion of your post.

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Seriously?

Throw all the fancy **** you or anyone else wants...

The bottom line is, that the scoreboard dictates who makes the playoffs and who doesn't.

Create all the chances you want. That is great, and that needs to happen. You need to bury them if you want to win.

Last night they didn't.

I am not saying they cost the Jets the game. Because they clearly didn't. There are many other factors that contributed to that.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Throw all the fancy **** you or anyone else wants...

The bottom line is, that the scoreboard dictates who makes the playoffs and who doesn't.

Create all the chances you want. That is great, and that needs to happen. You need to bury them if you want to win.

Last night they didn't.

I am not saying they cost the Jets the game. Because they clearly didn't. There are many other factors that contributed to that.

I have no idea what fancy **** I just threw at you...

So essentially, the Leafs are a great team to you.

They win games right?

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind

Who is defending Pavelec?
No one is, that's who.

Your hatred towards Pavelec is just something else.

I am done having any conversations with you on the subject, as you clearly are not able to have one.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Are you terming the Toronto and last night as the absolute stinkers? He was pretty good against Phoenix when he had to be, which admittedly wasn't very often. Calgary he was meh, don't think he could do much on the goals but he wasn't tested that much (22 shots).

I don't think many people blame the team as much as Pavelec, I think some people (like myself) think that this team has more than one problem, and if you can fix the defensive coverage along the way, the team will be better off. The team might be a better goalie away from competing for the playoffs, but this defence is not getting them far if they make it, so why not focus on both areas of weakness and improve? Pavelec is probably the biggest and easiest problem to fix, but let's not pretend that there aren't other problems here.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Are you terming the Toronto and last night as the absolute stinkers? He was pretty good against Phoenix when he had to be, which admittedly wasn't very often. Calgary he was meh, don't think he could do much on the goals but he wasn't tested that much (22 shots).

I don't think many people blame the team as much as Pavelec, I think some people (like myself) think that this team has more than one problem, and if you can fix the defensive coverage along the way, the team will be better off. The team might be a better goalie away from competing for the playoffs, but this defence is not getting them far if they make it, so why not focus on both areas of weakness and improve? Pavelec is probably the biggest and easiest problem to fix, but let's not pretend that there aren't other problems here.

I agree. Good to see a sensible post as opposed to the "blame Pavelec for everything" types who continually post here. Those posters are annoying and its getting old.

White Out 403*

Who is defending Pavelec?
No one is, that's who.

Your hatred towards Pavelec is just something else.

I am done having any conversations with you on the subject, as you clearly are not able to have one.

Maybe you just dont get it. By blaming the team as well as Pavelec last night you're creating a false equivalence to take heat off Pavelec. It's what happens in politics all the time.

"Your party spends too much!"
"Oh yeah, well, your party also spends too much! You have no morale high ground to say anything about us because of what your party does!"

Here you're saying pavelec played bad but the defense was also bad so you're doing 2 things:

1) Suggesting that Pavelec, had he got better support, may have eeked out a win
2) Diluting the argument. By taking attention off pavelec and spreading it to the D you're trying to create a false dilemna.

Our D and forwards out chanced the Predators last night but you honestly have the stones to come here and say it was a team loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad