Hockey Cards - Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Wow, that's really high. Good for you.

They're nice-looking cards too. Someone must be really happy to have one of them if they spent that much.

Probably...I can't hold on to them. I had a good Crosby collection but my Ovechkin collection was even better...scary thing is, except for my personal collection of LA Kings, it was all pack opened by me.

During those years of 2005-2007 I pulled a lot of great cards of those two including 5 Crosby YG and 8 Ovechkin YGs. I pulled the Ultimate AO RC auto and the Rookie Update AO/Kovy dual auto RC, the Crosby 05/06 UD S2 Rookie Ink /87, etc. I also pulled two of the 05/06 SPA dual auto Kolzig/Ovechkin.

For some reason, whoever is really good, I can pull easy. Whoever I PC, I can't pull at all, lol. I think my only PC pulls of significance were a 05/06 Beehive Remarkable Matted Materials Wayne Gretzky Kings jersey auto /50 and a Cup Foundations Mike Richards quad patch auto (forget the year) Kings.

Last edited:

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Just curious. How do you send such cards? Still per post? Or per DHL....?

You're not going to like this answer because it's not useful to you but I send through a proxy. Being a dealer myself, both in comics and cards in the past, I had dealer friends who I could do that with but also people in the collecting scene in LA know, there is a crazy place called Frank And Sons warehouse and there was an official BGS grading booth I could submit to directly (now there is also a PSA booth there).

Frank And Sons warehouse is a trucking company where one of the "sons" started a gigantic collectors show...it's like several hundred dealers (of all sorts of nerdy collectibles), twice a week, free admission, free parking. And because there are so many dealers, I often pay just $5 over cost if I buy by the box or less if by the case. Sometimes those dealers are savvy enough to pick up decent product that there happens to be a glut of and other dealers/middlemen/distributors are dumping. I bought a lot of my Rookie Update for like $25 a box. That was the pre-breakers era. Nowadays I don't buy much hockey as I'm a bit jaded.

My advice is, find a really good brick and mortar store that has BGS and/or PSA account/s and after becoming a really good customer, submit through them. That's my advice in the US. In Canada you're kinda screwed...between the Canadian dollar, the distribution cabal, people on eBay not shipping to Canada, the Canadian Postal service and customs, you kinda just have to pay whatever their retail is, and hope they have a grading account to help you out.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Wow, that's really high. Good for you.

They're nice-looking cards too. Someone must be really happy to have one of them if they spent that much.

Nah, that was the going rate at that time. I held the cards for over 15 years and only when the crypto cashout hit and many people flush with money wanted to switch to paper collectibles.

I still have insane cards in my PC and in my sellables I still have many double digit cards along with a couple leftover AO YGs left...they're packed up for COMC. I have a couple cards in my stash that may be six digit cards but who knows? I also have the best Drew Doughty RC collection out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad