SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
We tried talking stats and having a real hockey discussion with your fanbase before the series started, we were shot down, ridiculed, told there would be no chance of any of the things that are happening right now in the series of ever happening. Destiny, the East is Least etc, etc.

Not you specifically as you are one of the few good ones, but all the fans running their mouths have up and left you to face it alone. And you still want the right to chirp us?

People always trying to play up our supposed attendance issues, looks like from that list provided, the most empty seats on average belong to the Oilers and their faithful.

You would think a team from a “traditional hockey market,” with such a storied franchise, would watch more hockey around the league, especially Eastern Conference games that started earlier.

Any rebuttal, debate, stat comparison, etc., was met with the “heard before in the Vancouver series”, or “heard before in the Dallas series” response. It’s like some of these clowns never watched any other series in the playoffs.

Good riddance to the majority of them who have tucked tail and bounced, because you don’t have to weed through their bullshit anymore in this thread.

Last edited:

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Barkovs goal is perfect example of who he is

Few seconds earlier he was the Florida player closest to his own goal line and few seconds later he scores on the other end

I’m amazed even after this playoff run how many are still all about piints, points, points. Making opposing teams superstars useless isn’t valuable at all..
I remember the people here bitching about Guy Carbonneau getting into the HHoF. Some people cannot analyze the game beyond "number big".

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
I will say it again, not even the Covid 2020 Habs were this bad :laugh: These Oilers are the biggest frauds to make the cup final in the last 50 years of hockey.
The fraud is taking place in net but let’s give the Florida Panthers a little credit. They are playing great, have excellent goaltending and have a coach that has knocked it out of the park. I’m curious, do you think the oilers would get swept still if they had the level of goaltending Bob is giving the panthers?

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I think Florida throws next game so they can win the cup at home. I mean who wants to win the stanley cup in the middle of nowhere , nobody wants that. Where would they even go after , straight to the hotel room , sad

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
I’ll say it here as well but can we stop with the idea of that Edmonton would be leading the series if the goalies were changed?

Edmonton has nothing on Florida defensively, nothing

Florida has full buy in from their players
Florida’s lineup is full of 2way forwards
Floridas Dmen can clear the damm zone

Edmonton could easily change goalies. They gave Campbell a $25M raise to sit in the minors.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Half their defence is UFA (Montour, Kulikov and OEL). All experienced dmen and espescially Montour would be a loss if hes gone.

On forwards they have Tarasenko and Reinhart as UFA's in the top 9. They have 20 million cap space and Lundell will get a raise. So they dont have a lot of cap after Lundell is signed with only 8 forwards signed and 3 defencemen gone UFA. So they will probably have a little less depth next year.
I was referring to the Oilers situation when said they needed to improve those areas..

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Agree with this wholeheartedly. I think the overwhelming consensus was that LA was hardly a challenge. I don't think anyone, even the most ardent of Kings' fans, expected their team to prevail. That went as expected.
As a Kings fan, I think the only team LA stood a chance of competing against was Vancouver. And that was solely because the Kings have lived rent free in Vancouver's head since 2012 for some inexplicable reason.
The Canucks apparently still think the Kings are the big meat grinder team they were from 2012 -2016. As soon as they drew Edmonton I knew LA stood no chance.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
The Panthers are just such a complete team, top to bottom. I don't see any real areas of weakness on their roster. Did they have any concerns coming into the post-season? I can't recall.

The only thing concerning was whether they were peaking too early. They were playing phenomenal hockey 3 quarters into the season. Then they were dealing with injuries, but got healthy right as the playoffs started.

It’s been a full buy in from the team since the offseason. They have come in ready to play, with one purpose in mind. You see it in the interviews, you see it in the celebrations after goals. They are laser focused on winning the Cup. Maurice even says it often in interviews, the team can pretty much coach itself.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
I'm not sure he signs for less. The Oilers already have him a on a good deal. My guess is Leon will be looking to get paid too.

McDavid gets league max wherever he goes, which will likely handcuff that team.
For sure. Leon will get 13.5, who knows with McDavid. Bouch bomb will come in at 10+ too

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Like in any sports, luck is part the game. A team can win mostly because of luck on a particular night, but in a best of 7 series, luck will be rarely enough, the better team ends up winning most of the tim
It's true for the most of the time, but that's like 60% once you reach the finals (where in general, the better team will have a ~55% chance of winning a given game). In some cases, if you put the odds at 60% it becomes around 70%, iirc. Just wanted to quantify lol

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
I’ll say it here as well but can we stop with the idea of that Edmonton would be leading the series if the goalies were changed?

Edmonton has nothing on Florida defensively, nothing

Florida has full buy in from their players
Florida’s lineup is full of 2way forwards
Floridas Dmen can clear the damm zone
Tarasenko playing on the third line and buying into his role is a major reason they are where they are.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
The thing is, I think Drai will sign for less than market value. Why not? He's playing with the best player in the world. I don't think putting up these numbers anywhere else.

Then again, I'm not 100% convinced McDavid will stay in Edmonton. Nothing to do with the city or anything. He's just going to get a blank cheque is will get to choose where he wants to play.

Just my personal take.
This assumes he wants to stay. There are already rumors out there that he does not want to extend with the Oilers and would prefer to play in the US. We could be seeing McDrai's last 1-4 games together.

Chaos2k7

2024 Stanley Cup Champions! 🏆
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
The thing is, I think Drai will sign for less than market value. Why not? He's playing with the best player in the world. I don't think putting up these numbers anywhere else.

Then again, I'm not 100% convinced McDavid will stay in Edmonton. Nothing to do with the city or anything. He's just going to get a blank cheque is will get to choose where he wants to play.

Just my personal take.
He is already on a discount, I don't see him taking a dollar less than new deals for Petterson, or Nylander, and bad blood aside, why should he? Easily could ask for AM, or McDavids current contract, many teams would pay that IMO.

He would be smart to leave money on the table for team construction, but he already did that and they haven't put the pieces around him, and the Cap is only going up.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
The only thing concerning was whether they were peaking too early. They were playing phenomenal hockey 3 quarters into the season. Then they were dealing with injuries, but got healthy right as the playoffs started.

It’s been a full buy in from the team since the offseason. They have come in ready to play, with one purpose in mind. You see it in the interviews, you see it in the celebrations after goals. They are laser focused on winning the Cup. Maurice even says it often in interviews, the team can pretty much coach itself.

I feel like last year we got a taste of what this group was capable of doing, knocking off giants in an underdog role and pushing through to the Stanley Cup final. I recall (... with some pain) Tkachuk's post-game interviews saying no one thought we could do it, etc. etc. A lot of what we see now, we saw then, in terms of being puck hounds, opportunistic two way play, good defense and reliable goaltending. But this year the focus just seems to be on another level.

Now that I mull it over, I remember questioning whether they could live up to the moment as favourites, as opposed to being the plucky underrated team.

They've put those questions soundly to rest. Good for Cats fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad