SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Yikes. What a let down. Panthers are doing what they need to do to win, but the Oilers are also doing this to themselves. In a way, this isn't the worst thing in the world for the Oilers. Very often, teams have to lose in the finals before ultimately winning to truly understand what's needed to get to the finish line. Hopefully they can take this as a learning experience.

Having said that, this isn't on McDavid or Skinner. McDavid has been doing everything he can and leaving it out on the ice every game.

Skinner just hasn't gotten anywhere near enough support in terms of goals and solid defense. I've seen some criticism of the first goal. On a play like that, goalies are told to worry about the shooter and the dman takes the other guy. Either way, he isn't why the Oilers are losing.

A lot of times it boils down to health and clearly there are a bunch of Oilers players injured who both are and aren't playing.

Draisaitl, RNH, and Hyman for me are the real disappointments. Draisaitl in particular. I don't know if he's injured, but if he's not, for someone who people say is the 2nd best player in the world, he's showing they're wrong. First game he looked very slow and old, and since then he just looks.....like any other random player.

Defensively, disaster like we all know.

I'm going to forgive Knoblauch a little bit because 1 - It's his first year in the NHL, and 2 - We don't really know yet whether or not the game plan he's given the team is the one that the players are implementing on the ice.

Overall though, this is where recency bias comes in. Everyone was shitting on the team and how it's built, then they made the finals and all was forgiven, and now that they're losing, we're back to the shitting on them. Reality is, the team wasn't built well enough all along.

Have to give credit though to the Panthers. They're not doing anything complicated or something that we haven't seen before. They committed themselves to playing a heavy game with a strong forecheck and backcheck. Very rarely will there be an odd man rush as they're keeping the 3rd forward back. They will interfere with Oilers players going on the forecheck allowing the dmen to move the puck with less pressure. Strong and aggressive penalty kill, they're getting timely goal scoring from all four lines and a godly performance by Bob.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Oilers have some big time decisions coming up.

Drai can extend this summer, Bouchard will be getting a big raise and McJesus is UFA in two years. They are on the hook for $9.25 m for Nurse the next six years (unless they buy him out, which will be big $), and then you have a potential Campbell buyout (although that cap hit will be minimal). They will also be looking at big-time upgrades in goal and on the blueline, one would think.

They have some great contracts including Ekholm (two more years), Hyman (four more years) and RNH (five years), but they also have some holes to fill with UFAs leaving.

Some really great pieces on that team, no doubt, but it's hard to envision them keeping everyone. Even with the cap going up, the math probably isn't going to work.

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
He's not wrong. Oilers have been the better team in 2 out of the 3 games. Oilers have outshot the Panthers 86 to 62 this series

As I said, sometimes the better team doesn't win the series. Luck factors into hockey more than any other sport. The sooner fans realize this the better.
Not all shots are created equal. I'd rather have fewer quality shots than a bunch into the goalie's chest

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009

Drai can extend this summer, Bouchard will be getting a big raise and McJesus is UFA in two years. They are on the hook for $9.25 m for Nurse the next six years (unless they buy him out, which will be big $), and then you have a potential Campbell buyout (although that cap hit will be minimal). They will also be looking at big-time upgrades in goal and on the blueline, one would think.

They have some great contracts including Ekholm (two more years), Hyman (four more years) and RNH (five years), but they also have some holes to fill with UFAs leaving.

Some really great pieces on that team, no doubt, but it's hard to envision them keeping everyone. Even with the cap going up, the math probably isn't going to work.
Sometimes it's okay not to try and keep everyone.

Letting a Drai go might allow for better depth.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Like in any sports, luck is part the game. A team can win mostly because of luck on a particular night, but in a best of 7 series, luck will be rarely enough, the better team ends up winning most of the time.

I'll give you that the Panthers shouldn't have won the first game they were "lucky" to have Bobrosvky. But the goalie is part of the team and I could say that Edmondon are even more "lucky" to have have McDavid. Where would this team be without McDavid? Probably out after the first round. Or do they even make the playoffs?

We also have to remember the Oilers are paying Skinner 2.6 million while the Panthers are allocating 10 million to Bob.

Like they are paying to have Bobrosvky on the roster. Not cheap at all.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
It's hard to win when you have a porous mistake prone D, without an elite goaltender to cover it all up. Usually you need both but can get away with one. They relied too heavily on their offense to carry their wins, which doesn't work against tight teams.

At least McDavid and team now understand what it takes to get here, and also what else they need in the future.

Whichever way this ends up going (being respectful here), I'm pretty sure we'll see Edmonton here again.

With that defense and goaltending, Drai and McD's contracts coming up for renegotiation... and the Oilers getting favored opponents these playoffs through injuries.... good luck!

The "Mac-David" might want out.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

After this series, I'd ship Draisaitl to the moon.

That said, I hope Holland/Jackson sign both him and McDavid to very big raises. leaving the rest of the team basically intact.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Edmonton deserves to be here and that's why they play the games, but I think Dallas is a better team in a vacuum and likely ran out of gas after playing the last two champions. LA and Vancouver was a comparatively easier path, which is just how the chips fell this year.

Thanks to Bettmans awful playoff seeding format.

Reactions: StrmSurge

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
So what possible chance in hell would they have been a better matchup for Florida?

I swear some people don't even read what they write.
Or they’re just, ya know, opinions of fans and are open for acceptance, discussion, debate. The fact that someone posts something you don’t find value in doesn’t mean they didn’t read what they wrote. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad